Soap making?

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by VintageModMan, Mar 7, 2017.

1. VintageModMan

VintageModMan Active Member

Does anyone make there own soaps here? I didn't a quick search and didn't come up with anything. Are there specific thongs you should avoid putting in your soap? I make some of my own beard oil and beard butter. So I would like to venture into shaving soap as well. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

RyX and americanshamrock like this.
  2. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

A good place to start would be HERE.
    Good luck and beware its oddly addicting.

RyX and VintageModMan like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The pink ones. Always avoid the pink ones.

RockyNomad, brit, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  4. VintageModMan

Hahah that was my bad. I'm at work and got a call right as I was posting this. I didn't proofread.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. VintageModMan

Thank you for the link!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I've never made my own shave soap, but my wife and I have made our own bath soaps before. There are some really easy recipes out there and it was actually kind of fun. Our next batch should be finished curing in about 2 weeks.

7. VintageModMan

the that sounds awesome! I was look for a more natural blend so I can keep down on added acid or alcohol. I'm sure it can be done. I already have essential oils, coconut oil and glycerine at home. So I'm like half way there.

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

To find shave soap recipes, just search for "DIY shave soap". You'll find many recipes with different ways of making it, including Hot Process, Cold Process and Pour and Melt. Pour and Melt will be the easiest as the soap base is already made and you can buy different types including Glycerine based, Goat's Milk based, Shea Butter based, etc.

9. Legend In My Spare Time

That's what we went with - the lowest amount of unnatural ingredients. We ended up using everything all natural. We made a coconut oil/sweet orange bath soap that smells amazing. Can't wait to try it out.

Carbide Mike and VintageModMan like this.
  10. VintageModMan

I'm assuming there is no way to make them completely all natural. I'm sure you need some sort of stiffening agent. I've never made soap so I'm a little overwhelmed with the info I am reading up on.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Please remember to support TSD Shop and our Supporting Vendor's.

Paul Turner, RyX and VintageModMan like this.
  12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I knew you were gonna pick up on that! Ya beat me to it. :D

Carbide Mike and swarden43 like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I make my own. When I'm able to slow down and follow a recipe they turn out great. I usually mess up in some way. It's great fun and the best ones I've made I've liked as much as any I've bought

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and VintageModMan like this.
  14. VintageModMan

I most definitely will!

Carbide Mike and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  15. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

I don't want to discourage you, quite the opposite, but it took us hundreds of man-hours and countless batches to develop our recipe (Black Tie Razor Company No. 13 Premium Shaving Soap). Just letting you know what you are in for. Now, you can make a good soap in short order but it's a long haul to make a superior soap. Be pepared to learn a little chemistry too. Messing about with Sodium/Potassium Hydroxide can be dangerous so read up on it and make sure you do the calculations correctly or you could burn your face.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    ninjack, Keithmax, RyX and 5 others like this.
  16. VintageModMan

Will do! I like Diy and there is no reason to dive in haphazardly. I would rather be well informed.

RyX, Carbide Mike and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  17. Legend In My Spare Time

Or burn your hand! :p

Zykris, RyX, dustmite and 2 others like this.
  18. VintageModMan

That would be unfortunate haha.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

If you're only making it for yourself, as long as you're not allergic to anything, pretty much use whatever ingredients you want (within reason, as long as it's safe for use on the skin). However, if you are making it for others as well, you probably want to avoid some of the ingredients that a lot of people are allergic to (like peanut oil). There will be some trial and error, for example, I learned that my face does not tolerate lanolin very well so had to scratch that one off the ingredient list for our soap. I learned a great deal studying the ingredients in the soaps that I thought were superior and used that for the foundation. Just knowing the ingredients is one thing, putting them together in the right proportion is quite another, that's the real trick. There is tons of information on the net, you can never over-educate yourself. HAVE FUN!

RyX, Carbide Mike and VintageModMan like this.
  20. VintageModMan

I was just looking for myself more or less. I was looking for a full veg soap. Like I said I like to be as natural as possible. However I'm aware I need a lathering agent.

Carbide Mike and Linuxguile like this.