Soap or Cream?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Will, Mar 13, 2007.

?

How do you take your lather.

1. Soap

21 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. Cream

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Both are even in my book.

19 vote(s)
    34.5%
  4. SUPERLATHER!

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Started off on soaps.....discovered creams. Difficult one. Depending on the razor, blade,and brush combination I choose.......I just go with the flow:cool:

2. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I am actually quite surprised at the results from this poll. Creams seem to me to universally more popular....judging from reviews and posts.:confused:

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Can't seem to lather soaps worth a damn, so I guess I have to say creams. I'll keep practicing though! ;)

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

I started back to wet shaving with Palmolive red and Proraso green creams, but I have recently discovered Mitchells Wool Fat soap. Frankly, I like both.

5. Zachster

Zachster Member

I like the idea of creams, what with the variety of scents and all those emollients and ingredients, but soap just seems to do a better job for me.

6. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

Superlather or Uber-lather is a process that provides the cushion of a cream with the slickness of a soap.
    I make my Uber-lather as follows:
    Soak brush and wet top of soap while showering.
    I load my brush with the soap, really go to town with it until it drags on the puck.
    Move to a bowl-(Don't skip this step) add 3/4 of a snurdle of your favorite cream- I like MB rose soap and Taylors Sandalwood myself.
    Work the cream and soap into a luxurious lather,you will need to add drips of water but not too much.

Enjoy~

Photos

7. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

Thanks Rick and Jim. I'm going to try the Super Lather; maybe Pirates' Cove Coconut soap and some Trumper's Violet SC. Or C&E Sienna soap and a good cream. Only have 2 soaps but a bunch of creams. Will post in SOS when I do this.:drool

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I use the Mama Bear Unscented Soap with a scented cream when I do a super lather. No scent clash that way.

9. Will

Will Nevermind

Not a bad idea but mix a floral soap with a woodsy cream and you may like the combo.

10. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

It worked out well but I need a little practice and a larger bowl. It smelled nice to me.:D (See SOS)

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I'm thinking of Bamboo with something. I need to make scent list of Mama Bear's soap and see where the compliments and overlaps are. Chemist I am not. :D

12. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

WOW! Superlather is SUPER lather! Thanks for the recipe, Rick! I may have to change my vote!

I'd never tried it before - never heard of it before this thread - but I WILL try it again! I have some GFT Coconut, a good cream, but with virtually NO scent. Also have Tabac soap and a B&B Finest. WOW! No coconut scent to be found now, that's for sure!! Just gobs of lather!

I also have some GFT Violet that I think smells like cardboard. Guess what it's going to smell like tomorrow! :D Or, perhaps I'll try it with another excellent cream, the scent of which no one seems to like...C&E Almond! Now that should be interesting! I'll throw some of MB's stuff in the mix too. Endless possibilities!

BTW, lest you think I don't care for Mr. Trumper's creams, I have three of them. The Rose is awesome, but while I like the way the others work, one smells like cardboard, the other might as well be unscented.

Oh, and I think Mr. Kent deserves the next shot at this, don't you? :p

13. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

Awesome database. love it.

I voted for soaps. I really liked taylors rose,avacado, salter vetvier and nancy boy's sig, but none cut as close IMHO and are definitely more money than I like to spend when compared to a puck of MB (I have Turkish Mocha and Spellbound Woods). I want to try them all, and maybe one day, I will.... my short list in my next round will be the clear skies and smokin'...and maybe a few others..:drool

14. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Soaps most days with the odd cream thrown in for variety. I always sorta feel like I'm cheating when I use a cream.

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

These just came in from Mama Bear
    Eucalyptus 100% Natural shaving soap
    Dragons Blood Shaving Soap
    Mayan Gold Fragrance Shaving Soap
    Old Spice Type Shaving Soap
    Smokin' Shaving Soap

16. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Rich,

Ya' gotta' tell us about the Eucalyptus ASAP! We're all dyin' to know!

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I tried the Mayan this morning. I'll try the Eucalyptus tomorrow. The Mayan was up to Mama Bear's usual great standards. You should have seen my wife last night when I had opened the package and stood there for about 10 minutes just inhaling each of the shave soaps and bar soaps I got. She thought I was nuts. I'd open it inhale, close it. Repeat. I should have bought some complimentary scented soy candles to match a couple of the scents.

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Ah, I love the smell of Eucalyptus in the morning. Mama Bear's Eucalyptus was up to her usual quality standards. Loved the smell, 4 passes of lather with enough left over for at least another pass. A+

19. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Eucalyptus is one of my favorite scents, however, I've never tried a Eucalyptus shave soap or cream. I'm adding this one to my MB wish list. Mama Bear's Clear Skies with lavender, rosemary and peppermint is another one at the top of my list. Thanks for the reply Rick!

By the way, does the Eucalyptus soap have a "cooling" effect or feel like soaps with menthol or peppermint? I cannot use soaps with menthol, but seem to tolerate peppermint OK. Just curious.

20. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

More cooling. Didn't get that tingly feeling like menthol or peppermint.