Soap Scum on Vintage brush, Removing Safely?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by barbersurgeon, Sep 28, 2015.

1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I just came into possession of an Ever Ready 300PBT. Friend picked it up for me at a flea market along with an Old Spice Grand Turk Mug. Anyway, the brush body, plastic of some sort, has a gross layer of soap scum. Scrubbed at it with hot water, which removed some, but still kinda gross. Was thinking vinegar to cut it? Not a bad little brush handle, if I can get it cleaned up. Was not sure if vinegar or alcohol was safe on older plastics?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Use vinegar on the knot, Dawn dish soap on the handle.

I wouldn't think vinegar would hurt the handle.

barbersurgeon likes this.
  3. barbersurgeon

[​IMG]

Funky!

mylesc1234 likes this.
  4. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Dish soap & elbow grease should work fine.
    I restored that same model brush handle earlier this year and it polished up rather nicely.

barbersurgeon likes this.
  5. barbersurgeon

I cleaned the handle up with dawn and an old toothbrush. I then washed my hands repeatedly. And cleaned my sink. And trashed the toothbrush.

I thin I'm going to eventually replace the knot. Looking at previous thread, it should be an 18mm. I'll see if I get around to getting the current knot out and mic the inset this weekend. Thinking a 20mm Black Pure badger from WD? Black-red-black should look classy. Also the handle is marked "Pure Badger". Opening up a bit shouldn't be too hard.

Finally figured out what the color scheme reminds me of: The decor of an Atlantic City steak house from the 50's. The red and black booths that you see pictures of Frank Sinatra sitting at with a martini in his hand!