Soap Showdowns

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by LevelupShaves, Aug 5, 2017.

1. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

.5 oz of each enough? Sample size?

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

2. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Sure should be. I only use both soaps for a week so you should be able to get a good comparison from two samples!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Pm your address and I'll get 3 of them out.

If someone could get you a sample of the Arctiqe that would be great.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

4. LevelupShaves

Oh wow you bet thanks! I love thought you were asking if that was enough for you to do it. I’d be glad to though!

FaceScraper and PickledNorthern like this.
  5. LevelupShaves

So this week it’s going to be a couple of personal favorites
    Barrister and Mann Seville vs DR Harris Marlborough. No matter which soap wins the real winner is me because it’s going to be a great week in Shaving

[​IMG]

Tdmsu, PLAla, entropy1049 and 2 others like this.
  6. LevelupShaves

So after a longer week of comparison and a lot of back and forth I have a winner and it wasn't as close as I would have expected.

Scent: Seville is a classic barbershop scent with some amazing complexity. It's a blend of citrus oak moss and Pachouli. It's very layered and even changes throughout the shave it's undeniably a great scent.
    Marlborough is a solid masculine scent with cedar and Sandalwood. The finish Marlborough is a bit smoke from the cedar wood but it's nice and straight to the point. While I like Marlborough's scent it's still a pretty easy victory for Seville the complexity and scent strength just give it the win.

Lather
    Seville is one of those soaps that when you get it right is gives you an amazing lather and when you get it wrong it's just okay. It's a very thirsty soap I generally keep my face wet and brush wet for this one.
    Marlborough almost lathers itself. Seriously a little water 10 seconds of loading and there are mounds of lather to work with. Both of these soaps give a high quality lather but the ease with which it arrives for Marlborough gives it the easy win.

Slickness: I almost feel bad saying this but there really is no contest DR Harris is simply the slickest soap I've ever used period. It's like ice on a wet road slick and an easy round to judge.

Post shave: Both of these soaps do a spectacular job on post shave but I feel like Seville edges out a win here.

Value: Marlborough is $12 to $15 for four ounces while Barrister and Mann Seville is $16 for four ounces and it comes in a tub. On the surface this is a tie but when you consider that DR Harris is a triple milled soap that doesn't even look used after several shaves it tilts the scale in favor of Marlborough.

Overall these are two of my favorite soaps and I'm kind of shocked this wasn't a closer race. If you haven't tried DR Harris give it a shot it's excellent and you can get it in a wood bowl, Stand alone puck or shave stick. Barrister and Mann Seville is also a great Staple in the den.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Another great week's review.

FaceScraper and LevelupShaves like this.
  8. LevelupShaves

Did this one go how you thought it would?

PickledNorthern and FaceScraper like this.
  9. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Great review! I like your showdowns...and it's great that you're being objective with the comparisons. I look forward to seeeing more! Are you eventually going to take the "winner" of each round and pick the top finalist out of that group?

10. LevelupShaves

Possibly if I have enough that are close. For example Proraso would be good against PdP 63 but not a fair comparison with something like B&M or DR Harris

FaceScraper likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

I would say it is very similar to the last one. I really like both soaps, but would have guessed B&M to win it. Again, I cannot fault your judgements, other than I think that while it takes a little more work and water to get it there, B&M gives me the thinner, shinier and more stable lather that I prefer.

Keep em coming, I think you are doing an awesome job with it.

12. LevelupShaves

Thanks I appreciate it

13. FaceScraper

I suppose even if you were to continue to have showdowns, you'd spend a lifetime, and a king's ransom before you ever got to figure out your "ultimate, bestest ever" favorite soap! And that's without trying to categorize soaps based on scents, styles, etc.

14. LevelupShaves

Oh yeah this is more of a what's in my collection right now kind of thing. I'll do a few more then leave it alone for awhile until I start replacing things.

FaceScraper likes this.
  15. LevelupShaves

@jaxstraww sent some samples of Stirling Spice and B&M Reserve Spice for a blind showdown which is coming next week

16. LevelupShaves

This week I’m doing a showdown of 2 of my best vegan soaps PAA Crown King Pineapple Bayrum which came with an I’d Lather be Shaving coffee cup and Caties Bubbles Irish coffee which smells like it belongs in a coffee cup

17. LevelupShaves

Alright another week down another showdown down that's a lot of down but I'm down so it's all good. Here's the results of the Showdown between Phoenix Crow King Pineapple Bayrum and Catie's Bubbles Irish Coffee.

Scent
    Both of these soaps are perfect as far as scent goes. Literally perfect dead center on scent strength perfect creation of the inspiration and a vast array of other scents to choose from. Seriously if scent is your thing you owe it to yourself to pick up something from both of these brands. Tie here since their both so good.

Lather
    Catie's Bubbles whips up a great lather with little to no effort. It's also very forgiving on water so the sweet spot is pretty big.
    Crown King lathers well but it takes a little more work and a little more water to find it's sweet spot. Once you find the sweet spot it is a denser lather though. The win goes to Catie's Bubbles here though both are great.

Slickness
    Catie's Bubbles makes a slick and thick lather but it's nothing amazing. Crown King produces a much slicker and thicker lather probably the best non tallow lather I've ever seen. The win goes to CK here pretty easily.

Post Shave
    Catie's Bubbles feels good post shave a little Shea butter keeps the skin feeling nice and hydrated. Crown King doesn't feel good post shave it feels amazing. I mean as good as Barrister and Mann or Stirling amazing post shave feel. It's possible that CK has the best post shave I've ever felt. Clearly CK is the winner.

Value
    This is as much of a tie as value can be. Both soaps are similar in consistency and price both would be a great buy.

Overall
    Catie's Bubbles is a nice soap with a great smell and decent performance while Crown King is a great soap with amazing post shave feel and a slightly slicker lather. The winner is Crown King but both soaps honestly rock.

18. PickledNorthern

Another great review. Keep em coming!

FaceScraper likes this.
  19. LevelupShaves

Thanks man

20. FaceScraper

Another good showdown, and another great write up. Always enjoy seeing these!