Soap Storage and Labeling

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wmbjr, Jun 8, 2015.

1. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I am a complete and total newbie and am buying my first shave soaps to use. (Actually not true, because I purchased a VDH deluxe kit, so I have that soap already). I am buying several samples ( I think 6 samples for now) from Stirling Soap to see what scent types I might like and if I even like shaving with soap and a brush. I am thinking of storing them in little Rubbermaid or Ziploc containers with a label of some sort on top.

First question, is it a good idea to store them in the containers or should I buy the tins that Stirling sells or what works best?

Second question, never having bought the soaps before I am going to assume they come with some type of label that I can cut out of the packaging and affix to the top of the container, is that correct? Or will I need to come up with some alternative labeling method?

Thanks!

2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Stirling sends their samples labelled. They're a booger to remove from the shrinkwrap but labels they be. I prefer tins and use them but the inexpensive ziplock/glad containers work just as well and are far less expensive. Just make sure to buy them large enough for a little lathering space.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

most manufactures have some kind of label on their product that you could put on the new container. I personally use the blue lid bowls from dollar tree, but any Tupperware bowl will work. I will use the metal tins if the soap comes in it. if you are having a hard time loading in the tin you could switch to a mug or bowl. it is really a matter of preference and what is better for you.

4. wmbjr

I think the sample pucks are 3 inches in diameter and the containers I plan to use are about 4 overall. Should that give me plenty room to load the brush or is that too much slop and the soap will just move around?

5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've never gotten a sample before, but I hear these make perfect holders.

[​IMG]

6. wmbjr

@gwsmallwood. Not sure which is better having the cool tin for the soap or the delicious sounding spicy chocolate I would have to finish to be able to use the tin!

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Both. I love the stuff. I have a few of the tins, I'm just trying to make a little room in the den before ordering the samples.

8. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Any container is fine. No need to spend extra money on tins. Unless you want them.

9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

[​IMG]

TSD sample, sticker was included.

[​IMG]

Barrister and Mann sample, sticker included.

[​IMG]

Klar kabinett soap(from friend), label printed on home printer. Cheap container from store near me

[​IMG]

VITOS soap(from friend) label printed. (Razorock container.)

[​IMG]

Stirling sample, label included. I just unwrapped the sample and cut off all the plastic around the label, voila ! (Tin from ikea)

wmbjr likes this.
  10. wmbjr

@Omelmad. Thanks for the visual! Will definitely be trimming and saving the label. Was just at IKEA yesterday and didn't have enough sense to look for good cheap containers. Great idea for the next time I go!

Omelmad likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Here is what I did with a couple of deodorant containers. I pressed the Arko in one and in the other I melted some Col. Conk and poured it in. I cut out labels and attached them with packing tape. Now, I just rub the soap on my wet face and begin to lather directly. Works great.
    arko3s.jpg 1col_conk_amber2.jpg

Cheechako, Rufus T. and wmbjr like this.
  12. wmbjr

@Jayaruh I am trying to understand your process. You melt the soap or if soft enough just press it into a twist up emptied deodorant stick. Then you put the soap directly on your wet face I assume just like you would putting on deodorant. Do you have to wet the soap in the stick or does it come off well enough just having a wet face? Then you build lather directly on your face with the brush? A very wet brush? Just trying to picture the process. Maybe not the right thread for this technique question, but since it is my thread I dont feel bad hijacking it a little. Thanks for any info!

13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Arko is not a hard soap. So, you can press it into any shape. I used to have it pressed in a bowl before I pressed it into the deodorant container. The Col. Conk completely melts in about 10 seconds in the microwave and then you pour it into a bowl or container.
    I am a face latherer bypassing the bowl. I soak my brush in the sink while I wash my face. I take about one minute to wash and rinse my face, so I am not soaking the brush a long time. I take the soap and just rub it straight on my face all over. I wring out my brush a little and begin to build the lather on my face with the wet brush. If needed, you can dip the brush tips in water, but I usually end up with plenty of lather for two passes and plenty to wash out of the brush.
    That is just the way I do it with the sticks.
    arko2.jpg arko3.jpg

Cheechako and wmbjr like this.
  14. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I mainly face lather too and just use a bowl to soak my brush in. I have my Arko is a twist up container from WSP and it works great that way. Of course, spending the $2 on the container more than double the value of my Arko! LOL
    twist-up-shaving-stick-containers-2-oz.jpg

SOTD_050815.jpg

wmbjr and Jayaruh like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That is funny when the container cost more than double the value of the Arko. HAHA!:happy097::happy102:

sir_mike likes this.
  16. wmbjr

Thanks @sir_mike and @Jayaruh I appreciate the tips and information. Sounds like Arko may be one I need to try out, if for no other reason than to have a cheap one to always have on hand. Where do y'all get it? Thanks!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  17. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

Is it s cheap one price wise but not performance wise! :) Usually you can just get a couple sticks from Amazon for pretty cheap! I dont think they sell just one stick but they did sell a two stick package deal. That is how I got mine.

wmbjr likes this.
  18. Omelmad

No problem! I hope it helps. Those containers is called grundtal(in sweden) i dont know if the name changes for other countries or stay the same. But they work very well=)

wmbjr likes this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

IMO Arko is definitely worth trying:). Although I can't get it locally it's easy to find on Amazon it works VERY well and is inexpensive to boot..
    After trying several different and sometimes, by comparison, kind of expensive containers, I now put all my hard soaps into Ziplock small containers. While they aren't the most attractive containers out there for display, they ain't butt ugly either:). They work very well, are easy to find, easy to label, easy to replace and dirt cheap.:happy088:

wmbjr and Omelmad like this.
  20. Omelmad

I need to revisit ARKO =)