Soap suggestion ?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rudy Lussiez, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Rudy Lussiez

Rudy Lussiez New Member

Hey guys,

So I'm kind of getting tired of my sandalwood EJ and I wanted a new scent for a new shaving soap !

I did really like the scent of the sandalwood, but I feel it is lacking some punch to it ! However, I tried a bay rum soap and hated the scent (I apologize to bay rum lovers :p )...

So do you guys have any scent suggestion that has some punch to it ?

Thanks !

Ron R, RyX, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You want punch? Maybe some megaton-range menthol soap like Chiseled Face has? No scent to speak of but MAN...it's the Cask of Ancient Winters in puck form.

LevelupShaves and Paul Turner like this.
  3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Stirling Sharp Dressed Man. Better yet, pick up a handful of different samples from them

4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

B&M Beaudelaire and Leviathan may be something you may like. Both are strong scents.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

+1^^^

Seriously, it is really hard to know what kind of punch you or anyone else is going to like.

Stirling runs right around 40 scents. There is something for everyone. Generally speaking, they aren’t known for lightly scented soaps, and for $20, you can get a whole giant variety of shaving.

6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

You’re going to get a lot of suggestions.

Here’s two more; for now...

Tabac
    TSD Bourbon Vanilla

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Take. Look at some of the Stirling offerings. All of the soaps and scents are top notch.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Tabac is a great idea.

wristwatchb, John Beeman and Jim99 like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Does Tabac really smell like tobacco? If so, after or before smoking it?

10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Think more floral tobacco.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Herm2502, wristwatchb and Jim99 like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No it does not. It is floral scent. I suppose tobacco flower.

wristwatchb and Jim99 like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Tobacco flower. Different animal altogether.

wristwatchb and Jim99 like this.
  13. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I agree with the posters that suggested Stirling. They have a broad spectrum of offerings and and, at least the ones I tried, their soaps have strongish scents. Stirling is also priced very well. If you can't decide on one then I would buy several samples (their samples are very generous so that you can get a number of uses out of them and help get a real good idea if you like them). Stirling's soaps have all the shaving qualities you'd want in a soap as well. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck in your quest.
    '

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Stirling samples are the best idea.
    Read the descriptions, pick several, get samples.
    (I placed an order on 19, it arrived 22, plenty fast).

Shadow Shaver and john zeiger like this.
  15. Shadow Shaver

Shadow Shaver Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what type of punch you are looking for, but I agree with the Stirling suggestions. Also if you like cologne scents, Chiseled Face zoologist Panda is awesome! Mike's Natural barbershop has a great strong scent as well. Happy hunting and please let us know what you choose and think of it.

Paul Turner likes this.
  16. Kaladin

Kaladin Active Member

Another good soap is Wet Shaving Products (WSP) Ol' Kentucky. It has a bit of that sandalwood but mainly bourbon and oak, really classy. Plus, it lathers just as well or better than the Stirling soaps I've used.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Str8 Shaver likes this.
  17. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

One soap i enjoy is fine American blend, great all around barbershhop scent, and performs well.

MR41, LevelupShaves and Paul Turner like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd prefer a pipe/cigar tobacco scent.

john zeiger likes this.
  19. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

LevelupShaves and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Top 5 soaps that I really enjoy and if folks are looking at some possible soaps that might be your enjoyable ones also.
    When it comes to finding information on soaps it is so user bias and it's hard to make a purchase so I was thinking a way of giving the information to shavers who were thinking of a new soap and what to look for.
    Barrister & Mann Seville: Very nice soft soap and creates a great lather and it can be a thirsty soap so don't worry about adding a little water, it has some floral & citrus scents and when smelling dry soap in the tub it does not do it justice until you add some water and moisten the lather it becomes a more powerful great scent. B&M are leaders in the artisan soap makers world for making slick and great lather soaps but at a premium.
    Haslinger Schafmilch : Great soap and does not have powerful scent but it has a fresh clean scent and the lather is one of the best IMO. The pucks are a little small but it's worth the $10.00 US a puck and they have different scents also. The post shave is were it shines IMO because the skin feels soft and hydrated one of the best out of these 5 soaps. Been around for a long time so that is usually a good reason to buy something that survives a competitive shaving soap industry.
    RazoRock XXX: One of my first croaps and it has never let me down when it comes to a nice sweet floral & citrus scent that is tranquil and makes me feel great, the lather slickness is good and post shave is also great and is reasonably priced for the quality you receive in their black tubs.
    Tabac: Great all around triple milled soap that is very hard to beat by the competition. It has a strong tobacco flower citrus fresh scent that drives some shavers away but I have gotten more close shaves with Tabac than the best claiming soaps. It is a thirsty soap and a moist lather on 1st,2nd and 3rd passes will give great slickness and less problems for nicks and weepers.(The scent could be the only weakness but I do not find it offensive.)
    Taylor of old Bond St: The scent alone is worth just buying IMO, its been around for a long time and is one of my very favorites scent wise, the slickness is normal and lathering is not a hard whip up under 1 minute. The croap is made in England and they have other great scents also like all soap manufactures now a days. It is a bit pricey but still worth IMO if funds are available.[​IMG]

Ska SF, MR41, LevelupShaves and 4 others like this.