Soap toying with me.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PhilNH5, Mar 3, 2012.

1. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

With a flick of the switch light fills the bathroom. It is cold and icy outside. I know this because I had to let the dogs out. Brrrr. I bring in an armful of wood for the woodstove. I load the stove and crank it up. By time my wife and daughter get up it will be nice and toasty. The dogs dance around me. Their agenda is much more important than the silly woodstove. They want to be fed. Which I do. Always amazes me. They eat the same bag stuff twice a day. And each serving is enjoyed with the gusto and excitement I reserve for a good steak.

With the morning “chores” done I can attend to my own needs. Which is why I am in the bathroom gathering shave gear. I reach into the cabinet and grab my favorite soap. Edwin Jagger sandalwood in a shiny pewter bowl. Looking into the bowl I see a small crescent moon at the bottom.

Yes my EJ puck is almost gone. For reasons quite unknown to me and whose ramifications I don’t care to consider, this makes me proud. In all the soaps I use, seeing one disappear gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I decide then and there to use this soap every day until it is gone. This will give me the chance to use a new soap sooner. I smile at the thought. An empty bowl needs a soap. Which shall I use? My always pleasant morning shave is a little more so while I ponder the choices.

The next day the crescent moon soap looks back at me. I lather and shave still happy at the thoughts of a new soap.

It’s Friday, right? My calendar says so. A week has passed. And still the crescent moon soap smiles at me from the bowl. My happiness turns to determination. I want a new soap! The crescent moon must go. I lather with gusto and build up more than I need.

Another week passes. It’s Friday again. The little crescent moon no longer makes me smile. I loathe it. I want it gone. How can soap evoke such feelings? First pride, then happiness followed by anticipation and determination.

This morning I decided I would not allow a sliver of soap to control my emotions. No sir, I am a man. I will not be bullied by a piece of soap.

I pried it out of the bowl and threw it away!

And I selected a C&E Nomad soap to start anew. Ahhh – back to happiness.

Phil

2. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Well said. :happy096:

3. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

That put a smile on my face. After a year I still have not finished a single puck of anything. My gf is very troubled that all of the coffee mugs have migrated from the kitchen to my bathroom.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Don't you just hate it when an item just haunts and taunts you like that.

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Thanks Phil great story. I found myself getting all caught up there for a while. Your soap really came alive lol...

6. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

:happy096: on your accomplishment!

All my pucks look brand spanking new. I have a feeling it will take me longer than a year to finish a puck.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Whatever you do don't get MWF or Tabac.....I use that stuff all the time, have for more than a year with the MWF and 6 mos with the Tabac, and I swear it is as good as new. It mocks you too, but I know I'm at least a year or so away from the real taunt of the crescent moon.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  8. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

I have a bowl of Tabac in my rotation now and a bowl of 'The Fat' in the mail on it's way to me now...

battle.munky likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Loved it! Great story. :happy088:

10. theblindog

theblindog Active Member