Soaps for hard water

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by drnausheerp, Nov 24, 2018.

1. drnausheerp

drnausheerp Active Member

IMG_20181129_144804_692.jpg IMG_20181129_145833_036.jpg

Tried these today, available locally and were on sale at the supermarket. Got the cream and the post shave for less than a dollar.

Good performance, enough lather for a 2 pass shave with a almond sized drop. Still looking for something a little high end.

Currently waiting on the proraso, and Stirling and my Razorock game changer.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good deal on the two products. Being exotic, in the US that pair would set you back ten dollars.

If the hard water is still being difficult to lather, try using a little more cream.

Frijolero likes this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

One of the best soaps i have used with hard water is Cooper & French (Amber & Sandalwood, Old Goat). A highly underrated artisan IMO. It held up better than anything else, have tried a ton of soaps but this one worked the best in hard water so far.

2nd choice would be Noble Otter. Their Noir Et Vanille smells amazing.

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

Dang, both for less than $1? Thats a great price. Had both of these products at one time and they work quite well. The Maxium Comfort scent is a light citrus and the balm is quite decent.

RyX, drnausheerp and Frijolero like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have hard water and have found that pretty much all of the artisan soaps work very well for me, 5-6 years ago I would have had a different answer as the number of artisan soaps we see now weren't available or still figuring it out.

RyX, Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  6. drnausheerp

Could you please share a link to the these ?

RyX, SHAVEWIZARD420 and Linuxguile like this.
  7. drnausheerp

Yes this was usually $2 per item, but this there's a end of year sale going on so bought these at discount.
    They're what is usually used here at men's salons too.

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  8. SHAVEWIZARD420

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I have extremely hard water where I live and can lather most soaps, some with slightly more work. There were a couple of vegetable-based soaps that were more work than they were worth, but as a rule (with exceptions), tallow soaps performed better for me.

Here's an article from Mantic on the subject with 5 top performers:

https://sharpologist.com/2017/01/best-shave-product-hard-water.html

RyX and drnausheerp like this.
  10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Collen at The Gentleman's Quarter is making soap specifically targeted to hard water

My "Chip a Tooth" well water lathered very fine with it, my well water will humble many of the soaps on the market :(

A solution to this is also to make Uberlather

Shaving Cream
    Soap on brush
    3-5 drops Glycerin

The combo will overcome our well water

Good luck

RyX and drnausheerp like this.
  11. drnausheerp

Thanks you for this. I will check out these guys. Uberlather sounds nice too.

On a side note, I think you honed one of the straights I got from my friend Roy Davis.

RyX likes this.
  12. drnausheerp

Thank you , I've bought some tallow soaps, hopefully should be better than what im using currently

13. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    There is a VERY high possibility of that, Roy and I have been friends for quite some time now, like come over to the house friends :)
    We met in person at one of the SR Skills workshops I did down in Spokane some years ago

drnausheerp and PLAla like this.
  14. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

I second Barrister and Mann, specifically the reserve base. I have very very very hard water where I live, and Barrister and Mann has lathered the best for me so far.