Soaps vs Creams in terms of Water

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by TiberiuR, Mar 15, 2010.

1. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

Do soaps, generally, need LESS water to get to that optimal slickness?
    It seems to me, if you add to much water your soap lather is worthless. I think I need less water than I normally would use with creams.

Am I wrong? Or is it just my impression?

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Having used many, many soaps and creams I can't say I've noticed anything like that. There are soaps which only need a little bit of water as well as there are creams who don't like too much water and then there's creams/soaps which need more water than others. So, in a nutshell: It all depends on the individual product.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You're absolutely right. Always start with less than you think you need. You can always add water, but can't take it away.

Klaus is only partially right in saying it all depends on the product ;).

Every product (soap or cream) is different, everyone's water is different (that may explain why your lather doesn't whip up the same way as the guy's on the video), and every brush is different - boar and badger each retain water in different ways and different size brushes will hold different amounts of water.

Soooo... finding the perfect water-to-soap (or cream) ratio is a matter of experimenting with your soap (or cream), with your water, with your brush of choice. Ain't this fun? :D

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Annnnnnd I just read yesterday that if you have a winter coat badger brush as opposed to a summer coat badger brush, you will have different water requirements as well.

It is very fun! :happy023

5. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

+1 to SWarden.

That exactly sums up my experience.

6. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

Lots and lots of variables.
    But, yes it is fun to experiment. I very much enjoy it..
    Thanx guys :)