Some kamisori have lateral angles in their handles — Tosuke, New Azuma

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by speedster, Mar 3, 2020.

1. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Finally got around to shave testing 2 kamisori today. A no-stain Tosuke (thanks @gssixgun) as well as my New Azuma, both made from Yasuki steel. Both blades combined for a spectacular, irritation free shave this morning with extra intense concentration (lol), but something I noticed when stropping before the shave was that each blade sports a lateral handle angle relative to the head of the blade. IOW, there is a Z-axis difference where head of blade and handle are in 2 different planes anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees apart.

A possible lateral handle angle is something I figured not everyone knows about Japanese kamisori razors; I know I didn’t. The Iwasaki I just looked at does not have such an angle with its handle.

Here’s a pic showing what you must account for when shaving both sides of the kamisori...as well as stropping or honing:

36F4BDE0-8971-4531-ACC1-DD2C8F9D0595.jpeg

Edison Carter, Keithmax and gssixgun like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

There are left handed Kamisori's and right handed ones, with Asymmetrical grinds. They were meant to be used by barbers, who typically didn't switch hands. From what I've heard.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Edison Carter, speedster and Steve56 like this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Check it without the rubber handle?

4. speedster

Sure, but it’s easy enough to flip the blade over, adjust the angle accordingly, and still receive a fine shave without any barber involved.

@Steve56 I didn’t think to remove the rubber handle, but that should follow the line of the razor’s steel handle it’s sitting upon anyway.

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have looked at several of my Kamisori razors, and all have angled handles. So, theory says : "it aides in one handed use, when barbers use them". Well, my theory anyway.

speedster, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  6. speedster

And, you are probably right; the ergonomic need is why the angle is there. I was just unaware of this fact until I had a few different kamisori. Just thought I’d share this trivia with others who might not know kamisori. Regardless, terror sticks sure are fun to use! :)

gssixgun and Steve56 like this.