Some lessons I have learned since starting DE shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by saltypete, May 7, 2009.

1. saltypete

saltypete New Member

I made a post about a week ago on how after 4 months of DE shaving I am only now getting competent at it. I will be the first to say my technique is far from excellent and the journey ahead is long, hwever, there are some lessons I have learned.
    1. No pressure means NO PRESSURE!!! I didn't understand when guys here advised using no pressure with a DE razor exactly what they meant. When you have been shaving with a Mach 3 it is easy to apply the same amount of pressure with a DE. IF YOU DO THIS YOU WILL BLEED. The whole no pressure' thing has probably been hardest for me to pick up in my technique.

2. Until your technique is sound, it is hard to tell the quality of the different blades you try. When I started, it didn't matter which brand of blade I put in my razor, Merkur, Feather, it didn't matter, I bled. Once I aquired a technique that didn't nick my face multiple times, it got easier to judge blades. For example , I thought Red Personna's were OK when I started. I put one in my Fatboy today and it was terrible. I didn't cut myself but it tugged and scraped really badly (it's now been disposed of). The contrast of that with an Astra is huge. I will revisit Feathers soon

3. It is easy to buy a stack of DE razors but using just one until you gain confidence is a good idea. I quickly aquired several vintage and new DEs and rotated them daily. It was not a good idea. As a beginner I found that I got better results by using just 1 razor (40's SS) and getting to know it really well. I only now feel confident in trying to learn the quirks of my Fatboy.

4. wetshaving is a great hobby/passion/obsession. There is so much to learn and to try. It is amazing how a utilitarian task like shaving one's face can have so much history and so many institutions (e.g TOBS, T&H, GFT) as well as devotees who embrace both its past and future.
    It is fantastic to have a resource like TSD to learn from and share this art with others.

Pete

2. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

A lesson I have learned lately: Never shave in low lighting - it was a rainy day that morning and I decided the the low lighting was peaceful and tried to shave in it, not a good idea. :whacky098

3. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.I am agree with you,proper wet shaving is a passion/hobby/obsession and I just LOVE IT!:D

4. bmccrea

bmccrea New Member

Pete--

I think you made some good points for me, a new DE shaver. I certainly did go ahead and win an ebay auction for a stack of DE razors, and I have my order in for a sampler pack of various blades.

Because I don't yet have all my pieces in place yet, I think I'll take you advice and learn the technique for a while before I try to start making assessments of what blades I like.

Sometimes you have to crawl a little before you can walk--then you will appreciate it more!

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Well written.. even veteran shavers have to slow down and smell the roses at times. Good to see a newer shaver catching on and enjoying the shave. Keep up the good work.:happy088:signs107

6. cogito

cogito New Member

I completely agree with your suggestions. Slow and steady... No pressure

7. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

Thanks for the tips. I am just starting this Obsession/Hobby. Can't wait for my merkur 38c to ger here!!