SoS: Dec 11 - 17, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Milord
    Blade: Gillette Platinum
    Brush: Los Tres Amigos Dos Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic LE Jade.
    Soap: Route 66 Cavendish
    A/S: Booster Iced Lime
    Bowl: Suribachi Bowl

17 12 17.jpg

120inna55, Norcalnewb, ilts and 18 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you for sharing such a nice story.

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a fine razor, from a Boston Co, made in Germany. I had a fine 2 pass shave, that left me with a DFS. Zero issues, just a nice razor.

Razor- Dame Stoddard & Kendall, Boston. Made in Germany.
    Brush- Stirling Boar
    Soap- Arko/Sandalwood
    Aftershave- Pinaud Clubman

PC171417.JPG

Norcalnewb, ilts, alfredus and 15 others like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Just awesome, Jeff! Thanks for sharing this special time with us. :happy088:

Douglas Carey, Yehuda D and clint64 like this.
  5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

RECENT SHAVES
    20171216_114642.jpg

Prep: pre shave soap mix
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Blade: Rapira SS
    Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
    Soap: Jeeves Of Hudson St Velvet Jacket

Excellent lather from the Jeeves soap, it held a crazy amount of water and was slick and protective. Got a BBS shave and finished off with Fourth and Pine.

20171216_115246.jpg

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Blade: Rapira SS
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft
    Soap: Razorock Mudder Focker

This shave turned out to be incredibly smooth, but my face was red as could be afterwards. The RR MF whipped up a creamy lather. I did experiment a bit with the amount of water in the lather which may have contributed to the redness. Finished off with Agarta aftershave which has a complex spicy floral type of scent.

20171217_142613.jpg

Prep: pre shave soap mix
    Razor: Schick Injector
    Blade: Schick (1st shave)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft
    Soap: T&S Dark

Got a bit careless with todays shave and resulted in irritation on my neck. The lather from T&S was no problem at all, plus the scent of Dark changed a bit once lathered, like all the notes mixed together to create a different scent. However is smells great so no complaints. Finished off with Endurance balm which will hopefully repair any damage that was caused. Hope everyone had a great shave!

Attached Files:

6. SHAVEWIZARD420

Hey Steve, do you have any experience with Amyris cologne or A/S? Was curious how close the scent is to Porthos since Porthos is the PAA interpretation of the scent.

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Decadent December!!!

December 17 - It's TOGGLE TIME!

Razor - 1960 (F4) Gillette Toggle (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum
    Brush - Jayaruh #54
    Post - Alum

After a great shave last night on the Fatboy it's time to go to the Toggle. Fresh blade just like last night. Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum with the JR54 adds the decadence we need this month. Now, let's see if I can tell a difference in handling and feel. By the way, I chose not to use a rule setup for this comparison. All of the soaps I'm using right now are really excellent performers, and my usual rotation of brushes is consistent as well. I'm not really looking at the final result of the shave as much as how the razor feels in my hand and how well it performs in accomplishing the shave.

Three full passes again, just because, and I noticed one slight difference. The Toggle feels like a short handle compared to the Fatboy. The irony here is that the Toggle is actually longer, with the toggle itself adding about a quarter to 3/8th of an inch. The toggle, however, tapers to the end which gives the feeling of holding higher up on the handle. The only other difference was the grip. The Toggle seems a bit slippery, compared to the Fatboy. Both have excellent knurling, and yes, the Toggle was recently replated which may have an impact. But it's something I need to examine the handles more closely for and figure out whether it's the replating, the actual knurling pattern, or a bit of both.

I can't complain about the feel and finish. Smooth just like always, and the baby has been put to bed with very little alum noise. Compared to other comparisons and trials I've done, this one is a trip to the Bahamas! Hope your Monday is a good one!

[​IMG]

8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    The Comeback Shave 16th December 2017 - after cutting myself with my shavette about 6 days ago I have healed and it it time to break out the big guns to get rid of the face fuzz.

Rigarazor 17/16"
    Nuavia Verde Croap
    TSC Silver Tip Brush
    Suribachi lather Bowl

NO AS or EDC or Balm this time - I want to preserve the smell of that Nuavia!!

alfredus, mrchick, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  9. SHAVEWIZARD420

RECENT SHAVES
    20171219_225358.jpg

Prep: Musgo Real Classic
    Blade: Schick
    Brush: Maggard 24mm synthetic
    Soap: Smitten Soapery Stud Muffin

Had a very nice shave yesterday, did a bit of chasing the baby and even though there was some irriration it was a super smooth shave. The lather from Smitten Soapery can hold a crazy amount of water without breaking down. Plus the ingredients make it nice and moisturizing, very good stuff indeed. Finished off with LG Anubis balm which calmed things down a bit.

20171219_225319.jpg

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime
    Blade: Schick
    Brush: Fine angel hair synthetic
    Soap: PAA The Beach

Still had some residual irritation from the last few shaves. I always seem to get a strange kind of lather from PAA soaps, prefer the CK formula over any of the others. Anyways, the scent of The Beach takes me to a place far away from here, a nice tropical climate which is the exact opposite of the weather here in Detroit, even thou it was not that cold out today it's still a change of pace. Finished off with Glastonbury which gets the seal of scent aprons from the GF which is always a good thing. Hope everyone is doing well and getting great shaves!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.