SoS: January 28, 2013 - February 3, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Jan 27, 2013.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Finally our weather has become milder and more comfortable, but even if it was still bitterly cold I would still use my strong menthol stuff because menthol is my trademark, and guess what I'm using tomorrow for:

Menthol Monday:

#6 Horsehair
    Ming Shi TTO/new 7 AM
    Arko Ice Mint SC :love055: :love055: :smiley freezing: :smiley freezing:
    444 AS Balsam :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Barbon AS :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    YSL Pour Homme EDT

I'll admit that the Ming Shi doesn't shave quite as closely as my Super Speed, but it still does a very good job. The Ice Mint is definitely the only Arko cream which has a real menthol effect that you can feel during and after a shave. The 444 balsam and the Barbon aftershave are 2 of the best face-freezers that are on the market. ;) :D

4h4n0.jpg 444_gel_01-340x340.jpg 2_h240.png

ajdhn, dinatali, Asd and 17 others like this.
  2. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

sotd-28-jan.jpg
    • Prep PSC
    • LEA Menthol SC
    • Frank Finest Brush
    • Edwin Jagger DE89L Razor
    • Lord Blade (2)
    • Vifrex ASG
    • Barbon ASL
    Just because you are on the road, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy a fantastic menthol shave. Today's setup was really great! The LEA cream is awesome and in my opinion, it is in the same class as Proraso Green. This frosty cream has amazingly good protective qualities. The lubrication is outstanding. The DE89L was gliding effortlessly over my skin providing a very close shave with absolutely no irritation or razor burn. The Vifrex is very nice and is one of personal favorites. Two splashes of the Barbon aftershave made for a very nice, cool finish.

Have a great week everyone!

Lyndon

ajdhn, dinatali, Asd and 16 others like this.
  3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Hoffritz
    WARS SC
    23mm Shavemac Finest knot

I'm going to try and do a week with shaving cream. Very nice shave this morning, again a very comfortable shave with the Hoffritz. The WARS has good skin care and I would describe the scent as a pleasant "green" type. There's a good chance I'm way out in left field with that. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]
    upload photos

ajdhn, Ryan Bales, Asd and 14 others like this.
  4. possumbelly

possumbelly Well-Known Member

Monday evening

Hot towel
    Proraso pre
    Muhle R41
    Astra SS (2)
    TOBS Mr Taylor's SC
    Duke 2 Best
    Thayer's Superhazel
    DR Harris Bay Rum AS
    L'Occitane Cade AS Balm

Second go with the Muhle R41. Went for 3 passes this time. Boy does it bite.
    Concentrated closely throughout on the blade angle and did well with applying no pressure but ended up with a decent nick at the edge of my upper lip. Easily fixed with the styptic.

SWMBO - not a fan of the Bay Rum, so I overlaid it with the Cade Balm.

Smoothest BBS I've ever had.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359377696.501327.jpg

5. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Monday:

Prep: Hot shower, face was with Neutrogena Men Invigorating & brush soak
    Pre: Proraso PSC
    Brush: Semogue 830
    Razor: EJ DE89L w/ Bulldog handle
    Blade: Gillette EverSharp
    Soap: MdC

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359380029.322057.jpg

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Monday's Shave
    2 minute hot water whisker rinse
    Arko Shave stick-bowl lathered/Omega 10029
    1955 Schick Hydro-magic/EMS d2
    1938 Gillette Senator OC TTO/Perma-Sharp Super d1
    Ols Spice AS
    Acqua di Parma Colonia sprey

'...bplatoon' said something about he always uses his fav. SE for his first pass but maybe he would try his injector for subsequent passes for a fun experiment..hmm...that got me to thinking (no mean feat)....so today I tried my favorite Injector for my 1st pass and my favorite DE for the 2 subsequent passes....one of the best ever :happy108: I might be experimenting with these two all week...;)

Acqua di still knocking me out !!

7. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Shave of the Day (SOTD) Merkur/Menthol Monday January 28, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Prep: Brush soaked in cold water, tepid shower, face washed with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash
    Razor: Merkur Mergress XL
    Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated (2)
    Brush: GDCarrington Maple Apple Brush with Ace Shaving 22mm High Density Silvertip
    Cream: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus (old formula) with added menthol
    Soap: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus (new formula) with added menthol
    AS: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue with added menthol

Über-lather of the Proraso in the tub and tube with menthol infused glycerin has become my go to for menthol Monday's. Nice and cold, plenty of slickness, and good cushion.

The Voskhod performed good in the Mergress, although I am not sure if any better than less expensive blades.

It is back up to 44°F (6.7°C) which is way too balmy for this time of the year, had to get my freeze on.

8. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Menthol Monday

soak brush/Rooney Heritage Stubby 3xl/DB Brush Scuttle
    hot shower
    Proraso PrePost Cream(new formula-green) :love029::love029::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:

Vostok SS (face lathered) :love029::love029::Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Merkur 39c"Da Hamma"/Perma-Sharp Super (2)
    warm water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    warm water rinse
    Thayer's Medicated Superhazel with 3 drops M-Bomb :love029::love029::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    The Rub followed 20 minutes later with Vostok Aftershave Balm :love029::love029::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:

"Da Hamma" was extremely smooth today,Perma-Sharp Supers are a great blade in this razor or pretty much any razor.

ajdhn, Azarius, Bird Lives and 15 others like this.
  9. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Monday morning, January 28, 2013

Schick E2 Injector with Schick blade (8)
    Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush,
    TABAC shaving soap with hot water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse for a DFS!

B B 20.JPG

10. jbund

jbund Well-Known Member

Well almost opted for the menthol this morning but I didn't believe the temp that was being quoted. Who ever heard of it being 54 F on January 28th? After a high yesterday of 32 or so a fair surprise walking out the door. I hear that all of you east of us are getting the ice pellets and rain we got yesterday so tomorrow should be a lot warmer for you. They are saying 73 this afternoon.

I was bad and didn't shave all weekend so an nice crop to reap this morning.
    a warm water soak of the beard followed by Proraso PSC
    then TABAC shave cream for lovely lather
    Merkur HD with a fresh 7 O'clock black package
    Thyer WH splash after a warm and cool water rinse
    Nivea balm
    and Clubman SA
    for a really nice shave

11. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

Muhle Retro Ivory/Black Silvertip Brush
    Mama Bear’s Grapefruit Ice Shaving Soap
    Face lather
    Muhle R89 Grande
    Personna Med Prep (3)
    Osage Rub (I am running low – must buy more!!!!)
    GFT Sandalwood Skin Food
    AoS Sandalwood EDT

ajdhn, Azarius, Llyr and 13 others like this.
  12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Monday
    T&H UC Pre-Shave Oil
    Muhle R41
    Red Israeli Personna
    GFT Extract of Limes SC
    Muhle Synthetic 23mm
    No. 4711 A/S

Really the best shave I've ever had with the R41. Good enough to have me consider getting a Bulldog handle for it (Off hand, anyone know which manufacturer provides a polished SS bulldog? Be it Weber, iKon, etc). My new Simpsons brushes should be here by lunchtime so I can give my new Duke 2 a run for it's money and see which route I'm going to go for brushes. Unfortunately this mornings wonderful shave has me thinking I could have just got another handle and not spent over $100 on a Feather and Open Comb baseplate, but we'll do some more testing as the week goes on before I have to make another B/S/T thread...

13. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Monday 1-28-2013

Sabi CC/Weber Bulldog
    Voskhod Teflon
    Proraso PSC
    Musgo Real SC
    Omega 31064 Boar
    Thayer's Witch Hazel
    Nivea Replenishing ASB
    Brut Original Cologne

Everything seemed to click this mornings and a great shave fell off the assembly line. I know I'm stuck in the 70's but I still like the Brut scent. Oh well, at least I ditched the Angel Flights! lol

Shave Photo 79SM.jpg

14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Monday!
    • Prep: hot washing cloth
    • Music: Javier Navarrete, Pan's Labyrinth soundtrack
    • Brush: Omega travel boar
    • Soap: Sara-S's mint
    • Razor: Valet Autostrop
    • Blade: Feather
    • Shave: 3-pass + touch-up
    SoS 2013-01-28.jpg

Best shave this week! Oh, it was the first shave... :D
    Anyway, great shave, great shave.

Enjoy the week, all!

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Now, let's see if I can keep up with the SoS this week...

Monday

Prep: Hot shower, hand strop blade
    CD: The Jondo Trio ~ The Jondo Trio
    Coffee: Maxwellhouse French Roast, BLACK
    Cream: Brut Classic
    Brush: The Dridecker
    Razor: Fat Handle Tech
    Blade: ASR Platinum Chrome, day 1, 3 passes
    Post: Cold water rinse, Brut ASB, Brut cologne, hand strop blade
    'Stache Wax: Firehouse Wacky Tacky

Yup, like my Brut. The great thing is my wife does, too :)

ajdhn, macaronus, Azarius and 14 others like this.
  16. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

BeFunky_IMG_0688.jpg Monday's SOTD, featured the following fine grooming product. First things first a nice hot shower.

Shavmac Badger
    {sample} Mike's Rose Cedarwood
    Cadet "Mongoose"
    Shark Chrome
    Great pairing the Mongoose and the Shark, provided extremely comfortable shave. Three passes left my face with extreme DFS.

Hope every has great week ahead. View attachment 34242 View attachment 34242

ajdhn, macaronus, Azarius and 13 others like this.
  17. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

Monday 28-01-2013

Razor: Muhle R41
    Blade: Polsilver SI
    Brush: Omega 10077
    Cream: Karo Fresh (Menthol) [​IMG]
    AS: Barbon

What a shave, Muhle delivers fantastic shave every time without effort,without compromise.

ajdhn, macaronus, Azarius and 11 others like this.
  18. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Victoria pure badger brush
    Sir Irisch Moos SC
    Shavette loaded with a new M-Man blade (apparently made for the Mueller chain stores by the same factory that makes Personnas in Israel)
    Alum
    Pitralon Classic

[​IMG]
    A decent shave, but nothing spectacular about it except for the olfactory part :D

I lathered with the little badger, almost forgotten since the Semogue came to me. Irisch Moos remains a good performer but as always a little stingy on the amount of lather.

The M-Man blades performed quite well in the Razorrock OC (for the first shave great, and degrading from there on with the fourth being overusing). In the shavette the blade is remarkably audible, it sang me the song of it's people during the shave but that was about it. The blade performed poor in the shavette (Dorco faired far better, pretty much everything did except for the Gillete Platinum blues that shredded me), it just seemed dull, but on the bright side there was zero irritation so I didn't even feel the Alum stick and AS.

The Irisch Moos and Pitralon Classic go wonderfully together. Both are woodsy, herbal (to my nose) and the scents mix really nice. The Pitralon is becoming a staple in the rotation, and the skin care is great :)

19. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

SOTD 1.28.13 Menthol Monday

PReshave - Hot Shower, Nivea face wash for men
    Cream - C.O. Bigelow/TSD 2x Iced Lemon and Cedarwood croap
    Brush - WD 24mm Silvertip
    Blade - Shark Super Chrome
    Razor - 1952 Gillette SS
    A/S - Aqua Velva Ice Blue

[​IMG]

Decided after reading about Azarius (i think) making a croap out of a soap I decided to do that with the TSD. I've been having some lather problems with it. Mainly not being about to create a good lather. I totally think it's 100% user error since I'm more of a cream guy than a soap guy. Mixed it with a little hot water and the last remnants of a C.O. Bigelow tube and it works great as a croap. Super Duper chilly :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:.

I decided to switch blades up from the usual Personna Red. I remember when I started that I really like the sharks because they gave a super smooth shave. Well they didn't disappoint in that area. I got a really nice three pass DFS with no nicks, cuts or even a weeper. This blade will def have a spot when a quick shave on autopilot is needed.

ajdhn, Monkeylord, macaronus and 10 others like this.
  20. Pre shave. Old # 7. AOS lemon oil
    Strop. Damon
    Razor. Eckel & jaeger Germon tortoise shell. Good razor can't find any history Help me
    Scuttle. Georgetown G5
    Cream. Trumpers Limes
    Aftershave. AOS saddle lotion. Witch hazel. Old #7