SoS: July 11, 2016 - July 17, 2016

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

July 16, 2016
    Wolfman OC with Triad Ti
    Feather (1)
    Simpson CH 2 Synthetic
    Mystic Water Eucalyptus & Spearmint
    Witch Hazel
    Floid Blue
    Whipped Shea Butter

[​IMG]

A very good shave this morning. It would have been near prefect but for operator errors. The CH 2 synthetic lathered up the MW Eucalyptus & Spearmint soap easily. I love the scent of the soap but wish it had a little more menthol. I went with a traditional 3 pass shave that ended in a near BBS. This is where I should have stopped but no I had to chase the baby and managed to nick myself in the process. Live and Learn I guess. Finished up the shave with a splash of Floid Blue. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very good picture Clint.

ram57 and clint64 like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD July 16, 2016

Blade: Treet
    Razor: GEM Pushbutton
    Brush: Satin Tip 'The Purest' synthetic
    Lather: Barbasol original, La Toja
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Mennen Skin Bracer, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, XTG

No picture today. Not a good shave overall. I picked up a can of Barbasol after reading the Brotherhood thread as well as observing the use of it in a good many SOTD posts. It was just $1.49 for a big 10 ounce can. So I started with it this morning. I haven't used a can shaving cream in quite a while. In short, the first pass with the Barbasol was uncomfortable and didn't do a good job at beard reduction. I needed a full second pass to get anywhere close to a decent shave. I debated and decided to scrap the Barbasol for La Toja. So I whipped up some La Toja and lathered for a second pass. Still not great reduction, but decent. These two full passes left more stubble than one good pass with a G1 normally leaves.

Perhaps the Treet blade is not very effective for me, even though it was smooth. The Barbasol was not a favorite. I think I'll stick with brushable soaps and creams from now on. It was worth a shot, and of course YMMV.

Have a great Saturday!!

4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

SOTD July 16, 2016

Yesterday I honed two more razors -- a William Elliott and a Frederick Reynolds. Both honed up nicely. I wanted to test the sharpness of my honing efforts...so I decided I would use one for one side of my face and the other for the other side of my face. Everything worked out well. The blades were nice and sharp and smooth. Great shave.

Pre: Proraso green preshave cream
    Razor: Wm Ellott (L), Frederick Reynolds (R)
    Soap: B&M Unscented
    Brush: Omega Boar
    ju16.jpg

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug. Have a great day Amigo.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Blackbird / Triad / Med Prep

Paladin

Bufflehead A1A

Floid Black

[​IMG]

7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Good morning my friends. This is a travel shave, not much to look at but dolphin smooth just the same. Have a great day. :)
    [​IMG]

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great looking razor. :happy096:

clint64 likes this.
  9. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Thanks Douglas!

Hope your enjoying your weekend!!

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

You have a great weekend also.

clint64 likes this.
  11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Although the regular MITA soap is not the biting-cold face-freezer that the glacialized version is it's still very cold and refreshing. It lathered beautifully for me and I enjoyed a wonderful shave with it which turned out BBS and very comfortable. The Henri et Victoria Bergamot Vetiver aftershave went on icy and very nice. My Shark blade is holding up rather well so I should be able to get another good shave tomorrow! :happy088: :happy088:

12. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

Today's shave was fair. I had some dental work done. I used a Schick Hydro 5 figuring it would give me a half decent shave with minimal bother to the sore spots. I'm not sure if was any better than de but it went okay. Next time I should be back to de.

Schick Hydro 5 razor
    Nivea canned shave cream.

13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Saturday

Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Bath Soap-Mountain Man
    Soap: BdF/TFS Mistero
    Razor: Gillette NEW Long Comb
    Blade: Vintage Personna 74 Tungsten (3)
    Brush: oscar11 High Mountain White-22mmx48mm
    Aftershave: Stirling-Executive Man

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

BdF/TFS Mistero today. 20 seconds to load the oscar11 HMW. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Personna 74 in the NEW LC. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Stirling Executive Man.

Bob

[​IMG]

14. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Another fine shave today.

Slim Adjustable set to 9
    Rapira Stainless Blade
    My French Soap Mix Face Lathered
    3 passes

15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

July 16, 2016

Razor: Aristocrat Adjustable (5)
    Blade: Personna Red (1)
    Brush: VdH Boar
    Soap: Cella

After a really close shave from the Schick G1 yesterday, I really wasn't sure I needed to shave today, but the siren call of the Aristocrat got to me and I decided to shave just because I wanted to.

For the blade, I went back to the sampler I started back in October and never finished. I had recently done a week with the store-brand Israeli Personna blades and decided I wanted to see how the branded ones compared. For me, there is little comparison. The Personna Red blades seem much smoother which, I assume, is due to the Platinum coating. As I'd expect, though, I received a very nice DFS from the blade though nothing to get me to abandon my stash of Russian steel. We'll see how the Red holds up as the week progresses.

And for those who may be wondering... I have the following blades left in the sampler:
    - PolSilver Super Iridium
    - Personna Lab Blue
    - Crystal
    - Feather

To be honest, I forgot there was a Super Iridium blade in there. As for the Feather... one of these days I'll get up the courage to try it.

JR

16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpeg

July 16 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    MWF
    Case Barbers' Notch
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Gillette Cool Wave AS
    Musco Real Oak Moss Cologne

17. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Satruefittday
    Another great shave with T&H 1805. I am still amazed at how well this cream performs. Is the soap the same?
    The Premier would rank just below my Paramount in terms of shave quality and comfort. Both are very good indeed. No drama today.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very good picture.

Tdmsu, clint64 and gorgo2 like this.
  19. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

July 16/2016 Sat.

Razor: Hashir ($ 7.95) on ebay
    Blade: Laser Super Platinum (not very sharp - 1)
    Cream: VDH Shea Butter: Interesting (no brush), new to me
    A/S: Gillette Gel/ Old Spice Classic Sport
    Newspaper Date: Nov. 3,1943

Very interesting shave this morn., no lather is a little scary, but to plough through with abandon, no problems. Surprising most of all is the el cheapo razor. It was really MILD, the blade provided wasn`t even close to sharp (which was a blessing in disguise) The razor is light in weight, but very easy to handle.
    I think, with a decent blade, it might be a decent razor to PIF. I have more razors right now than any human being needs, or deserves (IMHO), so I`m going to pare down the
    "Den" (16) is too much, at least for me. Now on to the shave itself. Two passes, WTG/ATG/XTG.... ATG/WTG/XTG, The el cheapo just sailed through like cutting hot butter (no pun intended). Very surprising, indeed. Needless to say, with a not so sharp razor, you`re not going to come very close to "Close". Running my hands over my face right now, it feel smooth, so I`m satisfied to face the public. Experimenting is so much fun. I don`t think I`ve had as much enjoyment as I have since joining TSD. Hope all members are as thankful to each other as I am to you. Happy shaving to all.

Bill July 16 - 2016  Sat. Shave 001.JPG July 16 - 2016  Sat. Shave 005.JPG

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

•Clix metal head razor on a weighted NEW handle
    •Fischebein blade (early '60s no-name coated super stainless, pre-Gillette patent)
    •mix of Williams and Aramis soaps + Cremo Cooling

Three pass BBS. The blade (excellent in any razor) is smooth enough. But just as I recalled from several years ago, the Clix renders smooth blades invisible: it feels like there's no blade loaded. There's mild razors and smooth razors, but no other razor I've ever used can pull off that trick.

Just to make sure of that, I popped the blade into both the NEW and the Stahley head. They're both great but, yep, neither glides like the Clix (the Stahley is pretty close, I'll say that). The Clix does require a slightly higher, cappy angle and the lack of feedback can lead to pointless, irritating re-passes when it isn't needed ("Did I shave that spot? Doesn't feel/sound like it, better hit it again"), requiring frequent finger checks for stubble to avoid irritation.

But those minor concerns aside, while your verdict on the Clix may vary, I'm not parting with this 3 piece again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.