SoS: July 11, 2016 - July 17, 2016

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod160717.JPG
    Sunday's
    zcws.gif

Dove Men Face Wash
    TOBS Grapefruit
    Jayaruh #82
    GEM Micromatic Bullet-Tip
    GEM Stainless
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    T.N. Dickinson's WH
    Vegetal

The TOBS Grapefruit Shaving Cream face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #82 boar brush. Two passes and touch ups with the GEM Micromatic Bullet-Tip razor with a GEM Stainless blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with T.N. Dickinson's WH and then Vegetal After Shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

My D was sitting by the sink since I last shaved with it and caught my attention. I'm wanting to see how long the NOS Dutch Schick Stainless Steel blades last so I picked it up for today's shave. These blades and this razor are a match made in heaven :angelic013:but I think I'm detecting the blade starting to go south. The D will get some more action in the weeks ahead to see how well the blade lasts. :happy088:

As expected, a super close, face-rubbing goodness shave. :happy036:

AOS Lavender PSO
    Haslinger Aloe Vera Soap
    T&H Wellington Super Badger
    Schick Type D
    NOS Dutch Schick Stainless Steel (4)
    T&H Classic After Shave Balm

D AOS HASAV TH TH.JPG

3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Thank you Douglas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: AlumiGoose Grey w/iKon Bamboo handle
    Blade: Feather Professional (3)
    Brush: Tres Amigo Desert Ironwood Beehive w/Envy White
    Soap: Route 66 Bourbon Jungle
    A/S: Myrsol Blue
    My usual 3 passes with a cleanup shave. Almost the same products as yesterday with the same near BBS shave.

16 07 16b.JPG

5. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Prep - Woods Of Windsor Cedar Woods soap / Pre-lather / 3 min steam
    Razor - Gillette Fatboy
    Blade - Gillette Silver Blue (#2)
    Brush - Shavemac Raptor 26/52 DO1 3 Band Bulb
    Soap - Wickham's Super Smooth Spice Trade
    After - Old Spice Original A/S
    Result - Dolphin Smooth

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I can't wait

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent setup. Brush and soap look great together.

clint64 and mrchick like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Beautiful photo

Karl G, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

10. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

20160710_155516-01.jpeg

Tomorrow's planned shave to beat the heat!!!

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very good picture. Cool shave. :happy088:

12. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

Thanks! Between the soap and the aftershave I should regain feeling in my face about 12 hours post shave lol. :)

clint64, ob1page and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. stota

stota Well-Known Member

7/16
    Razor: Gillette Adjustable Slim
    Blade: Big Ben 1st use ahhhh
    Brush: The Purest Satin Tip Black Synthetic
    Lather: Men's Soap Company - Everest Lavender
    Aftershave: Witch Hazel
    Alum
    Beard oil: Bull And Bell - Sandalwood Beard Oil

Brand new soap I just received and I really enjoyed it. Smelled great and thick lather. Good shave with this set up.

14. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

Thank you sir - greatly appreciate it :thanks:

clint64 likes this.
  15. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

My SOTD
    image.jpeg

Razor (s) - D.Corrado oc / prewar fat handle tech
    Blade (s) - personna red x4 / vintage store brand
    Brush - klenzo reknotted badger
    Soap - stirling spice
    Post - witch hazel / Nivea
    A/s - citrus musk

This shave was not good.. I could only feel the teeth on the razor.. I changed the way I was shaving to compensate but then I was just riding the cap .. It just felt bad from the go. I changed blades thinking it was the blade but nope. At the end I changed the razor and finished up. But it was too late.. Major irritation and slight razor burn.. I don't understand.. It was either teeth or cap.. I couldn't find anything in between to get the shave going right. It was as if the blade wasn't wide enough. :(:angry032:

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

In the Good Old Shavertime!

July 16

Grand Blade Trial

Razor - H1 Gillette Slim(9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Vie Long 12601
    Post - Alum, Nivea, The Veg

Well, I have a confession to make. In spite of my experience, my confidence, my proven ability to produce a fine, rich, slick and perfect lather with Arko, I didn't make it happen this morning. I know, shocking, right? It was for me. I did my usual routine with Arko, soaking the brush, wetting my face, rubbing the stick until a nice coating appeared and then hit it with the Pony. I noticed after lathering it seemed a bit, ummmm...well less than Arkoy. But, hey, it's Arko, so it's gotta be great right? And with a Dorco in the razor and the Slim wide open at 9 it needed to be.

Not so much. Now, the pass was a decent pass. The blade felt ok, actually quite smooth for that wide open setting but I was up on the cap and stayed there. It wasn't until the switch to the left side that I noticed the razor clogging with soap. Yep, too dry and thick. I rinsed the razor as well as I could and finished the first pass and was happy to see a nice reduction. Definitely the best by the Dorco. I stopped at that point and cleaned the razor and blade completely. Lots of soap stuck and jamming things up. I then dipped the tip of the brush in the mug after rewetting my face and did a face lather like I was trying to flog the skin off my face. THERE'S the right lather. Ok, ready to go. I'm amazed the first pass did so well.

Second pass XTG and a very smooth feel even though I could feel the difference in aggression. And the final ATG and Gillette Slides, comfortable and landed a very near BBS. Even now it's still better than the past two days. Not as smooth still as the Sharp Star on 6, but definitely a great shave with a blade that isn't widely loved and at a very aggressive setting. There are those who will preach that less sharp blades work best in aggressive razors. In this case, it appears to be true. The 9 and Dorco went very well together.

The downside? Irritation was pretty high. The alum threw a nice burn across most of my face and neck but it was short lived so not terrible. And the first pass with the dry soap may have contributed to that.

So, three days on the Dorco ST-300 and I can say it worked all three days, but got better as it got more aggressive. The Sharp Star started very nice, went perfect, then backed off as it went up. Clearly this blade likes the bigger gap and exposure.

Tomorrow is my first day off from the trials. Sunday is my "use anything else" day. I'm thinking a pain stick may come out or perhaps just a different DE with a Russian blade. We'll see what my mood says in the morning. No matter what, though, it won't be Arko. Again, not because I don't like it but, yeah, I need a day to enjoy a little luxury.

Trial resumes Monday morning with the newest of the Dorco blades (or newest packaging perhaps) - the Dorco Prime. The second blade starting Wednesday is the Zorrik SS. I'll try to get all of my blogging caught up before Monday. Hope you all enjoyed your Saturday!

[​IMG]

17. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Sunday Planned SOTD

[​IMG]

Razor: Timeless OC\Jurgen Hempel Ti
    Blade: Personna 74 (D8)
    Brush: Paladin PK-47 26mm Blonde Badger
    Bowl: Turkish 5” Copper
    Pre Shave Scrub: MRGLO
    Pre Shave Oil: Homemade Lavender\Sandalwood
    Shave Soap: Beaver WoodWright Jolly Rodger
    Aftershave: Beaver WoodWright Jolly Rodger

18. navy mac

navy mac Well-Known Member

Tonight's shave was one for the books, just had the water softener installed and fit to take my new Paladin for a test drive

[​IMG]

Fellowship of cold water shavers

19. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Sun 17th July

RazoRock Plissoft 24mm
    Tabac Stick
    Schick J 3 Golden 500
    Schick " Chick" [ 7 ]
    Alum rub/ Rinse Off
    Tabac A/S Lotion

Amazingly smooth and close finish can be attained with this Razor/Blade combo.

IMG_0752.jpg

alfredus, Roderick, mrchick and 20 others like this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Fatip Wood DE razor
    Gillette Permasharp Stainless blade
    Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre brush
    Dusy Kabinett soap
    HEMA Sensitive ASB
    Kruidvat Blue Spice EdT

Initial impressions of the Gillette blade (green package) ... mèh. Not up there with Feathers for sharpness, and no comparison with PPCs for smoothness. A bit Astra-like for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.