SoS: November 14, 2016 - November 20, 2016

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette President Y 1
    Blade: Feather Platinum (1)
    Brush: Omega Barber Pole w/Silvertip
    Soap: Route 66 Twisted Tweed
    Aftershave: Floid Vigoroso

Did a little experiment with this brush tonight to see if the difficult with was the floppiness, or the actual knot itself. A few "O" rings 3 to be exact did remove some of the floppiness, however, the knot did not perform to my liking. Not against the brush, it just doesn't provide me what I want in a shave brush. I will pull the knot and silicone in a couple of knots until I find one I like.
    The Gillette President (I left the case and blade pack inside for obvious reasons) I find to be a very mild razor, however, with a little effort and a good blade I was able to have a DFS. The shave soap is great and I really enjoy Floid Vigoroso aftershave. Been snowing and blowing here all day, and it is supposed to carry on all through the night. We'll dig out in the morning.
    20 11 16d.jpg

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Monday Morning Shave
    Ogallala Bay Rum Shave Stick
    Edwin Jagger DE89
    Astra SP (2)
    Have a great week!
    [​IMG]

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Gotcha. Thank you for your service!! Bill, I really appreciate the time you take to share the newspaper articles. Kerry

PickledNorthern and clint64 like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Is that the Perfume River outside of Hue Brian. I think I shot at that boat a few times. :) Just kidding, if I shot at it, it would have sunk. :happy097:

Outstanding photograph Brian.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice picture and shave. :happy088:

6. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    BBS-1/Declaration Brush Works/Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti

7. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Merkur 1904 open comb razor
    generic DE blade
    Maggards 22mm black synthetic brush
    Tabac soap
    Skin Bracer aftershave

8. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Brrrrr! Lovely amigo. :happy096:

clint64 likes this.
  9. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Nice photo Doug...stay warm!

10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:happy102:

clint64 likes this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you. Straights are fun, and there are cookies!

clint64 likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Mine doesn't smell like anything at all. It is faint enough that if was labeled as unscented I wouldn't argue. It will be lucky to get used up at all, let alone replaced.

clint64 likes this.
  13. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Hi Bill,
    The Black Hawk is my first SE I ever used, and I have only used it with one blade - Feather AC Pro. Relative to my DE's, it can be aggressive with pressure for sure, but blade feel is different because it is thicker and more rigid. I have been extra cautious using this razor because it is so light and the blade is sharp. It will bite if you slip or get reckless, but so will most razors. I have used it for 9 shaves so far and really like it. I had no quality or finish issues. I think it is less forgiving of technique errors compared to my favorite R41, but it does not take long to get used to. I have been getting great shaves from day 1, but cut myself once in the process. It was small, but it was a reminder that you need to be careful. I would rate this razor at a mid-aggressive level.

I highly recommend this razor and say to anyone even thinking of getting one, go for it if available. They are very reasonably priced and work extremely well. Nothing to fear with good technique and not difficult to find the right angle. Good luck.
    Steve

alfredus, PLAla, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  14. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold water 3.gif
    SOTD November 20, 2016

Blade
    : Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick G1 injector
    Brush: JR #60 synthetic
    Lather: Fine American Blend shave soap
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Fine American Blend aftershave, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Nice shave late this afternoon. The Fine soap lathers up really well. It's thick and cushiony and quite slick. There is lots of residual slickness when rinsing after your pass. I got a nice, smooth shave with this combination. It's hard to beat the G1.

Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary and today's shave preceded a great meal out to celebrate. Hope you all had a great weekend!

SOTD 11-20-16.JPG

15. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thanks, Doug. :)

clint64 likes this.
  16. PickledNorthern

Bill - I have a chromed Hawk that has some coating issues. If you want it, it is all yours. It would definitely give you an idea of whether or not you like that style of shaving. Just let me know.

PLAla, clint64 and billdog2 like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

NOVember!!

November 20

Grand Blade Trial

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Post - Alum

Day two on the V12 from India. Still no email reply on my questions concerning manufacture but again, nothing new about these companies seemingly rarely monitoring email. I could tell that last night's CCS finish was just not up to my usual standard but I made the day ok. Just a bit more to deal with tonight.

Semogue tore up the Arko into a gallon or two of lather in no time at all and the first pass was satisfyingly smooth and audible. Perhaps just a subtle feel of the blade very occasionally but overall not a problem. Second pass, XTG, ended with an apparently great finish and no issues.

Until - as I started lathering for the third pass I saw the nick on my right jawline about halfway up from my goatee. Disappointing, as I hadn't felt anything nor had I made a technique error. Not a bad one but enough to take a point off of the blade. I finished the third pass and alum stopped the bleeding and only mildly stung elsewhere. Not a lot of irritation, which is good, but a definite bloody spot.

The finish is a near-BBS and definitely so given the nick. I could have fudged it to a BBS without that. Still, a fine shave from a rather unknown blade.

@John Ruschmeyer suggested I could have had a V8. Well, I do love V8 but as long as it's a V12 here's something for the motorheads out there. Looking forward to opening this one up full throttle on the Slim tomorrow!

alfredus, PLAla, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  18. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

OK, I`ll pm my mailing address.

Sara-s, PLAla and clint64 like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

Great!

PLAla and clint64 like this.
  20. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, much obliged and God Bless, Bill

clint64 likes this.