SoS: November 27, 2017 - December 3, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Nov 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hmm. Now that you mention it, I can't seem to find these in a search. When Nathan was giving me knot options he showed me this picture of these wild colored knots and I had never heard of T.U.K.. I assumed that's who made the knots, but in retrospect it now looks like he mounted these knots the top of a T.U.K. shoe box. I went back to the original email and he never actually said who made them. I just assumed that these were sold to vendors by that company due to the picture. LOL. Now I have to ask Nathan who made them. He would never tell me even who made the brush handle even after I asked.

[​IMG]

He put them in the box so uniform that it I just thought these were made by that company. Ha!

BTW, I really love the Old Spice themed shave brush. It matches the set wonderfully. I couldn't find any vintage Old Spice brushes that looked like a real match to the traditional Old Spice colors. So, I had an artisan make one. It's one of a kind, like the shave stand. I think both of the artisan creations capture the spirit of classic old-school Old Spice designs.

Boy, when trying to get custom items made it takes a lot of communication and time. This is the first time that I didn't get all the details correct for new custom gear. It will be corrected and updated soon. It's kind of funny.

Here was the original concept design I asked for:
    [​IMG]

I didn't get the water in the design, but here is the result:
    [​IMG]

I think it came out better than I hoped. It's great.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

clint64 and PLAla like this.
  4. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 12.3.2017

Pre-shave: Hot shower
    Brush: Omega Boar (not pictured)
    Soap: Stirling "Stirling Noir"
    Razor: Ming Shi Futur clone
    Blade: Wilkinson-Sword (3)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive Skin PS Balm, Jean Phillippe Tristar L'Ombre
    sotd 12.3.2017.jpg

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture and setup.

sdguero and clint64 like this.
  6. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    CHARCOAL GOODS :: DECLARATION :: BARRISTER & MANN :: HONEYBEE GARDENS VERMONT AS

7. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

What a nice photo!

8. Number six

Thanks Jeff.

9. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Thanks, Doug!
    Dan

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

SHAVE OF THE DAY
    20171203_172927.jpg

Prep: Musgo Real Classic
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Blade: Pol-Silver
    Brush: Fine angel hair synthetic
    Soap: Local Gent Blackbird

Ended up with a BBS shave today, but did get some irriration and redness. Scraped a bit from the sample and bowl lathered with the copper bowl. This soap has a bold spicy pepper scent to it. Whipped up a nice lather, although I prefer Local Gent's tallow formula, this stuff is jot bad by any means. Finished off with Opium oil, picked this up at a beauty supply store a while back, it has a spicy scent as well and paired well with the soap scent. Hope everyone had a great shave!

11. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Thank you Doug. Atomic Age Bay Rum is one of my favorites. Always leaves my face feeling great.
    Steve

12. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Chris, Great shot and gear. The natural lighting is fantastic.
    Steve

sdguero, clint64 and Number six like this.
  13. Number six

Thank you very much. I forgot to mention how much I enjoy the Lavanille!

14. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Occam's Razor 3 dot & Schick Proline #1
    Maggard Granite 26mm
    Grooming Dept. After The Fire
    Humphreys Alcoholado Maravilla
    M&R Rose Water
    Nivea 2in1 lotion
    IMG_2011.JPG
    Finally, got this razor on point. An excellent 2 pass and minor touch ups that resulted in a BBS finish on it's third go round. How? Long, steady strokes with skin stretching and some light pressure. The Proline was awesome in feel and smoothness. And what can I say about the soap? Grooming Dept. has something special here. Just an uber amazing post-shave feel and finish. I have no words for it, it's that good. Have a great evening and wonderful shaves Gents.... ;)

Lather is just GORGEOUS........
    IMG_2004.JPG

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, my friend!

clint64, Robyflexx and sdguero like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Decadent December!!!

December 3

Razor - 1946-'47 Gillette Aristocrat
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Pre-Shave - Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Soap - Route 66 Sweeney Todd
    Brush - Jayaruh #54
    Post - Alum

Let the decadence continue! Stayed with the 'Crat and Voskhod and just switched to the Route 66 Sweeney Todd soap and the JR54 brush. One thing about doing Decadent December - I have the perfect 4 brush rotation. And the soaps are lining up equally well. I'm near the end of this tub and it's still producing a great brush load and a fantastic lather.

Two passes and touch up and once again the baby is so close you can call it that. Another perfectly decadent result with some perfectly decadent gear! Hope your Monday starts the week off well for you!

[​IMG]

PLAla, clint64, 120inna55 and 14 others like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 12032017.gif
    Route 66 Barbershop Hop
    Jayaruh #130 / Maggard Synth
    Suribachi bowl & cool water
    Schick Golden 500 J-3 ('58-'64)
    Shulton Old Spice AS
    Unrefined Shea butter

Thank you @Tim Spencer for sharing details of your Old Spice kit. Nice custom brush!

PLAla, clint64, DaltonGang and 13 others like this.
  18. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

SHAVE UPDATE: 12/02/2017 to 12/03/2017
    SOTD 12/02/2017

RAZOR: Remei DE - Chinese copy of a Gillette Tech
    BLADE: Dorco Platinum ST300 - this blade has at least 7 shaves on it.
    PREP: hot water shower with Zest soap and rinse
    CREAM: Gillette VENUS (with OLAY) Violet Swirl
    BRUSH: None - apply by hand
    POST SHAVE: hot water rinse
    AFTER SHAVE: None
    AFTER SHAVE BALM: Gillette Fusion ProSeries AS Balm
    Remie_Gillette_Venus.jpg
    I am always surprised by the excellent shave this very economical (CHEAP Chinese) DE razor provides! Wonderful 3-pass BBS shave.
    This Gillette Venus stuff is some serious great shave cream - I know, some will call it CANNED GOO. But just think...
    This stuff was designed to be applied to ladies legs, give them great protection, and pamper them with luxurious moisture and scent.
    What a great scent! I like it just fine. :)
    The Gillette products leave me feeling smooth and soft. Don't judge me.

SOTD 12/03/2017

RAZOR: Sabi 3-piece - chrome (3 inch handle, medium weight)- a mildly aggressive razor for me.
    BLADE: PACE DE (5 pack) - made in Vietnam - this is likely the 8th or 9th shave with this blade.
    PREP: hot water face wash with Ivory Soap, followed by hot water rinse
    PRE SHAVE: none
    CREAM: Gillette VENUS (with OLAY) SurgarBerry Bliss shave gel
    BRUSH: None- apply by hand
    POST SHAVE: Hot water rinse
    AFTER SHAVE: Murray & Lanman Florida Water Cologne
    BALM: None
    Sabi_Gillette_Venus_Florida_Water.jpg
    Another wonderful 2+pass BBS shave. This Gillette Venus cream provides outstanding protection. AND the scent is phenomenal!
    I got this stuff for $1.87 per 7 oz. can (that's ~27 cents per ounce). By comparison: Kiss My Face $8.75 per 11 oz. (~80 cents per ounce),
    Pacific Caffeinated Shave Cream $4.49 per 3.4 oz. (~$1.32 per ounce)

Gillette VENUS beats all of the budget creams (at this price) and provides great protection, glide, and a wonderful moisturized face feel - for less.
    Gillette VENUS certainly out performs the BARBASOL at $1.36 per 10 oz. (13.6 cents per ounce) - but then again, it should, at 2X the price.

Budget shave soaps also struggle to compare:
    Williams Mug is $1.50/1.75 oz. (~86 cents per ounce), Van Der Hagen Premium Soap is $5.00 per 2.4 oz. (~$2.08 per ounce).
    YMMV!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    PLAla, clint64, DaltonGang and 10 others like this.
  19. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

I think it's great that you've found things that work for you, and bring joy to your shave.... like I always say, 'a shave should be enjoyed, not endured!' :happy088:

20. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

Prep: Hot towel
    Pre shave: Proraso
    Razor: Sensor Excel
    Blade: N/A
    Brush: Rough,No Name Boar
    Soap: Wholly Kaw: Washington’s Blend
    Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / Wholly Kaw: King of Oud Aftershave Toner

well, that was an unexpectedly uncomfortable shave.... I guess my prep was not as thorough as it could have been, and maybe the Proraso doesn't work for me as well as my other pre shave...BBS, but a little irritated...

sdguero, SpeedyPC, TestDepth and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.