SoS: November 4, 2013 - November 10, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Nov 3, 2013.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sk16_9.jpg 40-321-large.jpg diana_balsam.jpg 2_h240.png Well, break out some warmer clothing to go out and some frigid stuff to use tomorrow for

Menthol Monday:

L'Oreal Men Expert Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :smiley freezing: :smiley freezing:
    #6 Horsehair
    Super Speed/new Rapira
    Lea Menthol SC :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Diana Sport Menthol Balm :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Barbon AS :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Aramis Stick Deodorant
    Aramis EdT

I guarantee if you use this set-up you'll be so frozen that you'll need all day to thaw out because even the L'Oreal facial wash is plenty cold. I love the scent of the Lea Menthol as well as its super-rich lather and its menthol power is POTENT. The Diana Sport balm and the Barbon aftershave are two of my most treasured face-freezers. ;) :D

2. dinatali

dinatali Well-Known Member

SOTD
    Pre : RR wash beard
    Hot Shower
    Tapac staff
    RR Razor with Timor Blade

[​IMG]

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gillette LC New Bulldog
    Personna Lab Blue
    Chubbz 2 (Omega 23 x 55)
    Institut Karite Soap
    Alum
    Superior 70

4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Monday - TTO Week

Cella bowl lathered with Merchant Rhoades Best Badger
    TV Special with Astra SP (1)
    3 passes, cold water rinse and finish with Aqua Velva

5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Monday:

Prep: Hot shower, Crown Co. Supreme Glide Preshave Lotion
    Brush: Beeline Boar
    Soap: Ginger's Garden Grapefruit Mint Glycerin-in-a-jar
    Razor: Merkur 41c 1904 OC
    Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (2)
    Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG
    Post: Cold water splash, Alum, cold water rinse, Dickinson's WH, Lucky Tiger Vanishing Menthol ASB

I managed to forget the lessons I'd learned about lathering the jar soaps, and didn't go back for more product between the 1st and 2nd passes, which got me a couple of minor weepers for my trouble due to too-thin lather. They weren't in any way painful, just annoying that I'd make that mistake. I'm close to PIFing the Lucky Tiger ASB, as this is the second time that it wouldn't absorb into my skin. I can't complain about the BBS results of the shave, though.

6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Wustof
    Synergy SS
    28mm Omega knot
    Witch Hazel

Did some tiling in the bathroom this weekend so I'm using a couple of tiles in the light box for background. Very nice shave this morning. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

7. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

SOTD Nov 4

Prep: hot shower
    Razor: Weishi 9306
    Blade: Merkur(day 1)
    Brush: Wilkinson Sword
    Cream: Musgo Real Classic
    Passes: 3 (WTG, XTG, ATG)

Much better shave with a fresh blade! I don't recall any tugging at all, no nicks and only mild irritation from yesterday's trouble spots.

Lather was a little thin on the face, but still made for a nice smooth shave.

wknicholas, oscar11, MoAllen and 18 others like this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Monday

Hot shower
    Simpson 46
    Palmolive SS
    R-41
    Treet Black (2)
    Cold water rag
    A.V. Sport

2-pass DFS

I don't get the hype over Simpson brushes. Maybe I just have the low end? This is the only Simpson I have used. It gets the job done, but I have other brushes that I prefer.

[​IMG]

9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Monday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Ozark Mountain Soap
    Soap: Stirling Scots Pine Sheep
    Razor: ’66 Gillette Slim “6”
    Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Black SP (2)
    Brush: Omega 10066 Boar
    Aftershave: Clubman

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angle for my beard a bit)

2nd shave with the Gillette 7 O’Clock Black SP in the Slim. Stiriling Scots Pine today. The 2nd shave with the Black in the Slim was very good. A smooth, close shave: nick & burn free. I finished with Clubman.

Bob

[​IMG]

wknicholas, oscar11, MoAllen and 19 others like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Monday

Prep: Hot shower, Dirigo Blue Aroostook PSO + 2 drops TSD M Bomb, hand strop blade
    Coffee: Maxwell House, BLACK
    CD: Luther Alison ~ Bad News is Coming
    Cream: Tom's of Maine
    Brush: Kriss Kross with original knot
    TTO: '62 Gillette Slim @ 6
    Blade: Wilkinson, day 1, 3 passes
    Post: Cold water rinse, Osage Rub, Old Spice cologne, hand strop blade
    'Stache Wax: Firehouse Wacky Tacky

BBS.

wknicholas, oscar11, MoAllen and 18 others like this.
  11. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Monday, November 4, 2013
    • Prep: Warm shower, Homemade Cedarwood PSO
    • Razor: EJ DE89L
    • Blade: Viking Sword (2)
    • Soap: Fitjarsoap Lighthouse (Bay Rum scent)
    • Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair 12705
    • Post: Witch Hazel followed by Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
    • After Shave: Old Spice
    Excellent BBS shave to start the work week. I'm really liking the Viking Sword blade. It gives a very close, comfortable shave. I didn't shave yesterday, but the Viking Sword didn't care. I understand the excitement about the blade, now.

wknicholas, oscar11, MoAllen and 17 others like this.
  12. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Menthol Monday
    hot shower
    M&F Chief/DB Brush Scuttle
    Proraso PSC :love055::love055::smiley freezing:
    TSD 2X Iced Pink Grapefruit Lanolin Soap :love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Merkur 39c "Da Hamma"/Gillette Silver Blue (2)
    warm water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    TSD 2X Iced Pink Grapefruit WH :love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    TSD 2X Iced Pink Grapefruit ASL :love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:

A real frosty start to the week :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily: :cool:

wknicholas, oscar11, MoAllen and 17 others like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

MONDAY
    a. PRE: Hot shower, Shea Moisture Face Scrub, Homemade Citrus PSO
    b. RAZOR: Merkur 38c 'Barber Pole'
    c. BLADE: Voskhod Teflon-coated (Day 1)
    d. BRUSH: New Omega 49 Boar
    e. SHAVE: Three passes + touch-up
    f. POST: Cold water rinse, Alum block, Ogallala Bay Rum AS, Shea butter cream

Second shave using the Voskhod Teflon blades. My first was horrible. I'm happy to report that this morning's shave using the Merkur 38c was considerably MORE enjoyable than the shave I had with the Voskhod/FaTip combination. A smooth, no tugging, clean-cut shave.** This validates to me the common belief that some DE razors excel more with a particular type of blade, and its best to avoid brands for use in other razors. The mildness of the Merkur tempers any 'harshness' of the Voskhods may have, whereas a more aggressive razor (such as a FaTip) accentuates it. What all this means essentially is I'm less likely to discard a brand until I've tried it in several razors to see if there's a proper match.
    Breaking in a new and quite stiff Boar brush this morning as well with some vigorous face-lathering. With a few more attempts, I'm certain this Omega's tips will soften like my other large Omega (48).
    Mem Olive cream is da' bomb for great lather! DFS+

Enjoy the week, gents!

[​IMG]
    ** Not much of a whisker face this morn. If I shave the previous day with the Mühle R41, I often don't need a shave the next day.

14. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Monday 11-4-2013

5/8 Solingen, Full Hollow, Round Point
    Proraso PSC
    Tabac SC
    GT G4 Scuttle
    Omega Boar
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Nivea Replenishing ASB
    Pinaud's Virgin Island Bay Rum ASL

Woke up to a cold house this morning as the blower motor went belly up in the heat pump. The warm lather from the Scuttle felt very nice this morning while I'm waiting for the repair man to arrive. Hope everyone has a nice warm shave today as well as a warm house. :(

Shave Photo 569SM.jpg

15. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Monday

CeraVe facial cleaner
    TSD unscented soap, with extra glycerin
    Oscar11 custom brush with HIS knot
    Gillette fat handled Tech
    Astra SP blade
    Alum block
    CeraVe lotion

After an exceptionally close and comfortable shave yesterday with the EJ and an Astra blade, my stubble today was not very long. What most people would consider a 5 o'clock shadow. Among my younger coworkers, who consider shaving more than twice a week as a bother, I would still be the clean cut old guy! ;)

But that's not good enough for me! I thought I would take it easy by having a gentle shave with my fat handled Gillette Tech. I did three passes plus touch up and got a good shave, not as close as yesterday's. The alum block was some major sting! I had more irritation from the Tech shave than from the more aggressive EJ! :eek:

Maybe I was using more pressure to make up for the smaller blade gap??

I'm not sure what I will do tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

16. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Monday morning, November 4, 2013

Gillette Fusion Proglide Power
    Gillette Fusion Proglide Multi-5 (day 5)
    Gillette Series Shave Gel Moisturizing Hydration
    Witch Hazel
    Krampert's Finest Bay Rum

Wow, what a shave! Near BBS with all the comfort the Gillette shaving system brings, so smooth, so luxurious. Aces!

[​IMG]

wknicholas, oscar11, MoAllen and 16 others like this.
  17. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Razor: 2013 R41 head Cadet TP 30B blk/gld handle
    Blade: Israeli Red Personna (D1)
    Brush: Israeli Olivewood w 26mm HM Badger
    Soap: Yeti Snot
    Aftershave: Krampert’s Frostbite

A month ago came across a thread stating that they had come across the coldest menthol soap to date. Caught my interest as I had not found a summer soap to date that had such a cooling effect as they had stated or as one stated made his eyes water. Couple of days later ran across another thread and same response and even though I had the two iced versions from TSD, QCS, PC, MB only MB version came close to watering my eyes and cooling effect up to 15 minutes after my shave. Well for me, the new champ is from The Yeti Shop and it is called Yeti Snot. Yeah, weird name but this is pretty damn cold. Immediate cooling effect as soon as you lay the lather and the second pass almost made my eyes water. It felt like I was rubbing ice cubes on my cheeks. 15 seconds of swirl more than enough lather for 3 passes and though not as smooth as tallows I normally use, mighty fine shave. It is now 32 minutes since I rinsed off with cold water and still feel the menthol and have yet to put on Krampert's Frostbite aftershave but will do so before I head out the door.

18. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Menthol Monday!

Prep: cool face wash with African Black Soap, Proraso Green Crema pre Barba
    Cream: Proraso Green Sapone de Barba
    Brush: HIS synthetic
    Razor: Maggard m10
    Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (3)
    AS: Krampert's Finest Frostbite

Great shave! Cold and comfortable, even though I reopened a previous cut due to my carelessness. This shave made me feel a little better today, despite fighting off a cold.
    Have a great Monday.
    [​IMG]

19. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Monday 11/04

Hot shower was a must for this morning.
    RazoRock glycerin bar
    Fitjar Bregneskog (sample)
    Omega "48"
    Gillette Fatboy dialed to #6
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Cold water rinse, Osage Rub

Outstanding Monday morning DFS.

IMG_0019.JPG

Norseman, ChiefShaver, ram57 and 17 others like this.
  20. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I think that's my favorite of your razors. Really nice.

oscar11, Bobcat and crackstar like this.