SoS: October 17, 2016 - October 23, 2016

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

I bought it before the announcement. In fact I have only recently started visiting the site regularly again. This has been a busy summer. I didn't know the shop was closing until I read your post. It was a wonderful shop.

Douglas Carey, ram57, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  2. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Merkur 1904 open comb razor
    generic DE blade
    Maggards 24mm marble handle synthetic brush
    Tabac soap
    Skin Bracer aftershave

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sunday Schick for 23 October 2016

[​IMG]

Schick on 8
    Schick Injector Blades
    La Toja Shave
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Alum
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Have a great evening!

4. DabblinRazors

DabblinRazors Well-Known Member

SOTD - 2016-10-23 - Smaller.jpg
    This afternoon I was going through my shaving drawer to retrieve a receptacle for the puck of Haslinger Schafmilch that should arrive tomorrow. In the process I found a cork in the drawer that I put there some time ago to try running the razor blade through it to make it smoother. So, I ran the Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless through the cork a few times and put the cork back into the drawer and the razor blade into the razor for this evening.

Later this evening, I whipped up some super rich, creamy lather with a combination of Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street that had been neglected for quite some time and just a bit a Cremo Cooling to add a touch of brisk freshness. After painting the visage, the razor did just glide through the three days of growth. After two passes and a little cleanup I overshot the intended CCS and ended up with a DFS and my face feels great.

After showering …
    Pre-shave: Shave Secret
    Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
    Blade: Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless
    Brush: Patriotic, Bi-centennial handle with a 24mm TGN Finest knot
    Soap / Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street & Cremo Cooling
    Water: Cold
    Alum Block: Yes, with no wincing.
    Post Shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe & Thayer’s
    Aftershave Balm: Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street
    Aftershave: Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street

5. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Beautiful photo Eddie! :signs154:

6. DabblinRazors

DabblinRazors Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, Roby! :thanks:

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Sunday 10/23/16

[​IMG]

PAL Adjustable
    Stirling Finest Badger
    Stirling Hot Apple Cider Soap and Splash

Have a good week.

Jared

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Ha ha! You're right...I did:( but I do know you both!!! Mixed up who I pic I was commenting on:lyrtuy5:

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That's OK Joanna

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

OCtober-een!

October 23

Grand Blade Trials
    Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Proraso White Tub
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Post - Nivea Original

Well after a good day at work and some extra time just doing nothing this evening shave time arrived. I'm enjoying the night shaves if only because it affords me plenty of time to concentrate and not feel rushed to get on the road. It's good for relaxing as a whole as well as working on blade trials to give them their best shot. Tonight is the final official shave with the Gillette Platinum Plus, the apparently newest offering from Gillette for the U.S. market. So far so good but the Slim is wide open and ready to slice and dice.

I changed up on soap tonight, mainly because I just wanted a different scent and since the first two shave with the blade were successful I figured I had consistent enough data. Decided to go with the Proraso White, which is for sensitive skin. Something I've never tried. The lather seemed just like Proraso Green and Red. No issues. I can't really describe the scent though. Anyone have a good description of it?

Three passes on 9 concentrating on riding the cap produced the baby tonight and.....no blood. So, it would appear to be a slightly better result than yesterday. However, I can tell without Alum that it is highly irritated in areas, especially on the Gillette Slide. It also didn't feel as smooth which tells me that this blade acts more like an Israeli Red by giving a fantastic shave and feel at 6 but 9 is a bit much. I could easily have stopped after two passes with a near BBS and normally would have, but the Trial demands the third pass. And I went straight to Nivea to cool things down a bit.

This is a fine blade that is available now in most areas, from what I'm gathering, to compete with the generic Personnas and other second-rate DE blades in the drug store market. I don't know that I would make it my preferred blade and use it exclusively, if only because of cost compared to the blades that are in my top 5. However, if I was travelling or just ran out of blades (not likely with my current inventory and supply line on the slow boat from Russia) I would choose this one over the generic Personna. Now, I say that knowing I will never buy a generic Israeli blade in the first place, but I'm making that statement based on comparison of the shave, not my personal economic policies. Hopefully that's clear. If not, well, maybe I can figure out a better way to say it.

Anyway, that's it for the new Gillette. I may or may not throw it into some other razors to test longevity over the next week or so. What I do know is the next blade up in the Grand Blade Trials is the Indian Wilkinson - and that starts Wednesday.

The World Series starts Tuesday! And the matchup......Indians vs. Cubs.

I sent a messenger down and no, there are no icicles or snowballs in the nether regions. I'm pretty fired up about the matchup if only because of the tradition of the two teams. Of course, as a Cardinals fan I'd much prefer to see the birds on the bat there but.......I have to choose a team. And for me, well, if you didn't see this coming you don't know STL baseball and its fans!

[​IMG]
    In 6!​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.