SoS: September 1, 2014 - September 7, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 31, 2014.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Wow, summer is winding down and cooler weather will soon be coming. Anyway, here's my plan for tomorrow.

Menthol Monday:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/new Rapira
    Stirling Glacial Obsidian SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Anherb AS Conditioner :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Osage Rub AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:

Nothing can beat a set-up like this for a Menthol Monday Shave - every item I listed is damned cold. The Neutrogena Men face wash has a good, strong menthol punch to it with a nice scent and good skincare. A word of caution to anybody who cannot tolerate intense menthol - the Glacial Obsidian soap is so powerful that it starts to freeze the face almost immediately on contact. Like all the Glacials, this soap is easily comparable to the Yeti Snot and it lathers more easily with much better moisturizing and protection against irritation or razor burn. The Anherb conditioner does a very good job of soothing sensitive skin in addition to providing an excellent cooling sensation. Finally, the world-renowned Rubby Dubby Doo is a perfect icy-cold finale. ;) :D

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod140901.jpg
    Cold Water Shave

Dove Men's Face Wash
    TABAC Shaving Soap
    VDH Natural Boar
    Gillette 20s Old Type
    Wilkinson Sword Stainless
    CWR
    Thayers Cucumber WH
    Mennen Skin Bracer AS

This is the first shave with the 20s Old Type. I had bought it just for the handle to use on my English NEW, but I am very impressed with its performance this morning. The TABAC face-lathered very easily with my customized VDH Natural Badger brush. Two passes with my Gillette 20s Old Type and Wilkinson Sword Stainless blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Mennen Skin Bracer after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

wow I had to hunt for this thread.
    today's shave
    hot water wash with nivea men's
    semouge 620 boar
    Stirling sandalwood soap
    Gillette old open comb
    Persona lab(3)
    witch hazel and tea tree oil added
    Barbasol brisk
    today's shave was pretty tuff. the old performed normal till my against pass on my neck. not very pleasant. had a few weepers, just in the hard to reach part of my neck. oh well, better shaves are ahead. ended pretty smooth though. finished with, first a wh tea tree concoction, then brisk.
    hope y'all don't have to labor to much today 20140901_070826-1.jpg

PatrickA51, ObiDon, moz68 and 22 others like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Why did you have to hunt for this thread? It was created yesterday, and was a sticky right after it was created. Also it's a holiday, looks like a lot of members are sleeping in.

PatrickA51, vwp528, crackstar and 3 others like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Gillette Super Speed
    Super-Max
    VDH soap
    Omega brush

DFS+

Found another old "baby kit" from the hospital that had been packed away when we had our last one. It contained a small pale yellow container of Gold Bond Baby Powder. The fragrance is not what you expect from baby powder...I can't put my finger on it but it's very nice and subtle, not at all babyish. Just pleasant. If they still make it I'm going to be using it regularly now that I've mostly run out of my vintage talcs.

PatrickA51, moz68, vwp528 and 22 others like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Never seen that Barbasol label; it's different from the ones I see locally. Interesting.

PatrickA51, vwp528, crackstar and 3 others like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    September 1, 2014

Prep: Hot shower. Axe Boost Energizing Face Wash
    Razor: iKon DLC Standard
    Blade: Balzano
    Lather: MdC
    Brush: Simpsons Berkeley 46B
    Aftershave: Fine Clean Vetiver
    The iKon DLC Standard is as efficient as the Muhle R41 (2013) IMO. MdC never fails!
    Go out and get it!
    image.jpg

8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

9/1/14

Prep: warm wash with Stirling Naked & Smooth
    Lather: IanS hobbyist
    Brush: Vie-Long 13061M
    Razor: Gillette New LC
    Blade: Sharp Durablade stainless (1)

Decided to use my New Long Comb for the month of September. It is slightly more efficient than my short comb model. Time to get to know this razor. 2 pass shave and I am ready for the LAST DAY of the Colorado State Fair.

[​IMG]

9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Monday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Cocoa Butter Bath Soap
    Soap: Maggard Fougere Sauvage
    Razor: Gillette FH Tech(Triangle Slots)/Maggard MR1 Handle
    Blade: Personna Med Prep (6)
    Brush: Whipped Dog Silvertip-22mmx48mm
    Aftershave: Fine Italian Citrus

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Maggard Fougere Sauvage-always great performance. This was my 6th shave with the MR1 handle on my Fat Handle Tech using the same Med Prep blade. Another smooth, close, nick free shave. I finished with Fine Italian Citrus.

Bob

[​IMG]

10. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Menthol Labor Day Monday
    warm shower
    Rooney Heritage Stubby 3XL
    Proraso PPC :love055::love055: :smiley freezing::smiley freezing:
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen :love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:,the King of Frost :cool:
    40's style SS/Feather (1)
    cold water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    Tend Skin
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen WH :love055::love055::angry021::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    The Rub mixed with a pea sized amount of 444:love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Chanel Egoiste

Nice and frosty start to the week!!!

Stay frosty,my friends! :cool:

11. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Menthol Monday:
    Prep: Hot shower, Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub cleanser, TSD Jasmine Sambac Preshave balm
    Brush: Simpson 56 Best Badger
    Soap: Stirling Glacial Obsidian :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Razor: FaTip Piccolo
    Blade: Bolzano Superinox (4)
    Passes: WTG, XTG (7, 8)
    Post: Cold water splash, Bloc Osma Alum, Dickinson's WH, Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS splash
    Cologne: Xeryus by Givenchy

First use of the Glacial Obsidian, approached with some trepidation from reputation. As was the case for me with the bay rum from Rod, the lather on the maiden voyage wasn't spectacular, though I expect that to improve. The chill from this soap was most immediately noticeable in my mustache area, taking a bit more time to build on the rest of my face. Slickness was very good, and I suspect cushion will improve after the soap's properly soaked. Between passes, I could really begin to feel the menthol on my cheeks and neck, and it became really pronounced at the cold water splash. It was never 'painfully cold,' and my eyes never watered, but I could see both of those things being true were I a 4-pass shaver. I wound up with a DFS+ shave, perhaps thanks in part to the BBS results of yesterday.

12. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Sunday 09/01/14

Prep: Gaia face scrub
    Oil: Shave Secret
    Brush: 20mm Whipped dog set deep
    Scuttle: Georgetown Pottery
    Razor: Gillette Old Open Comb
    Blade: Feather
    soap: My French Soap Mix
    Witch Hazel: Generic unscented
    AS: Sampson's all natural

Today I switched from the Gillette New Open Comb to the Gillette Old Open Comb. Very nice shave, although it MAY be a little less close than the NEW. Of course, it may also be that I was not shaving as well today. We will see tomorrow.

13. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Monday morning -

Prep - Noxzema & hot towel
    Lather - Cella Extra Extra Purissima & suribachi
    Brush - Omega 40033
    Razor - George Savage & Sons 13/16

2 pass
    Warm water rinse & cold water splash
    Alum block & Witch-hazel AS

[​IMG]

:eatdrink013:

14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Monday:
    hot shower w/Arbor Street Soap Co Lilac bar soap
    Taconic unscented PSO
    Gillette Super Adjustable (9) 2 passes
    Gillette Wilkinson (2)
    VDH boar
    Maggard Lilac soap
    Humphrey's Lilac WH
    Lilac Vegetal AS Lotion

Still giving the gold Black Beauty a run trying different blades. Shaved Saturday with it as well but didn't post. Couple of new products. Humphrey's in the Lilac scent to match up with the Veg. Same with the Arbor Street Soap Co's "Springing Into Lilac" bar soap (okay, I know, it's Labor Day). I picked up the Arbor Street product at an art fair the other day and it has a very pleasant scent although it doesn't seem to like hard water very well despite getting the job done. Stopped by Maggard's on Friday and walked out with a full shopping bag so lots more stuff to break out over the next few weeks.

IMG_0179.JPG

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Hart
    XPEC (self scented with a light bay rum)
    Classic 2
    V.I. Bay Rum
    Excellent shave this morning. It took several attempts to find a Simpsons I liked with best quality hair but this Classic 2 is an outstanding brush. I'll have to set up my light box again because it's to dark for outside pics before and after work. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

17. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Menthol Monday
    Everything worked great. FrostByte is in my top three soaps, best menthol I've used. The Proraso pre is a great cream, I like the menthol and glide it provides. Krampert's Frostbite is an excellent compliment to any shave, more so with a cold one.

Prep: Proraso Green Pre Barba
    Soap: Synergy FrostByte
    Brush: HIS XL
    Razor: iKon SC101
    Blade: Personna lab blue (1)
    AS: Krampert's Finest Frostbite
    [​IMG]

18. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Menthol Monday

Razor: Gillette Old Type OC w Tech Ball End
    Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra (D11)
    Brush: RV Butterscotch 28mm Super Silvertip
    Bowl: Mud Place Shaving Mug
    Pre Shave Soap: MRGLO Lime
    Pre Shave Oil: Homemade Iced Mojito
    Shave Soap: Glacial Mojito
    Aftershave: Alcolado Glacial
    This old type OC paired with the Gillette Bleue is providing an excellent shave but I cannot get used to the short and thin handle. Throughout the shave I am constantly fiddling with the razor and it just does not feel comfortable in my hands and I medium sized hands. Since I will be BBQ and plan on making Cuban Mojito's as part of the refreshments, decided to have an early start and make it a Mojito shave day as well.

[​IMG]

19. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Shave of the day, menthol monday

Pre- Hot shower and ARKO + Homemade preshave oil

Soap/cream- Craftsman unscented with Stirling Glacial Wintergreen

Brush- Omega boar 10810

Razor- Gillette Slim Adjustable(3)

Blade- Astra SP

Post- Cold water rinse, alum block, Old Spice whitewater and Nivea aftershave balm with 2 drops of homemade menthol additive

First shave with my Slim adjustable i went with setting 3.

Didnt go so well, but I just need to get to know the razor I'm sure =)

I mixed Craftsman unscented with Glacial wintergreen because I can't handle the glacial on it's own =P I
    Managed to get a good chill.

Hopefully next shave will be better =) my face looks like it needs to recover a day or two =(

[​IMG]

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

MONDAY
    Happy Labor Day, USA!
    A great shave this morning with my ebay 'cheapie' straight razor.
    Of all the straight razors I've come across and put to use, this old Herskovitz is probably by far the best value in great shaves I've gotten for the amount invested (less than $20).
    A really smooth shaver! Used it with a high-priced soap and the results were terrific. Three-passes. No harshness, no resistance…It's a keeper!

It's going to be a great day in our household as we celebrate my oldest son Sean's birthday.
    Twenty-seven years ago today I was blessed to become a father for the first time, and life certainly hasn't been the same since! :happy088:

Have a wonderful day, gents!
    [​IMG]