SoS: September 26, 2016 - October 2, 2016

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Merkur 1904 open comb razor
    generic DE blade
    Maggards 24mm marble handle synthetic brush
    Tabac soap
    Skin Bracer aftershave

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

OCtober-een!

October 2

Grand Blade Trials - Day Off

Razor - Gillette New LC
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum, The Veg

As promised, I'm opening the month with an open comb, my New LC. I've always had a lot of love for this razor though I use it rarely it seems. I'm always chasing after blades and trying the ridiculous dangerous things so this fine instrument has to spend too much time waiting for its turn. I paired it with a Voskhod (of course) that I had used one time on a rescue shave during trials.

What a fantastic shave this razor gives. The Fat was luxurious and slick today and three passes was BBS without a problem at all. The razor is nice and aggressive but still doesn't feel like it. I think the long comb gives it a bit of a milder feel even though it's tearing it up right behind it. And in a good way.

Alum was quiet and the Veg set me up for a great day on the floor today. All in all a great shave to start the month and my day and I'm motivated to jump back into the Trial tomorrow with the Viking Sword blade from Israel. Hope your Sunday was a great one and that OCtober is off to a great start for you as well!

Since OCtober is also Halloween season I thought some ideas for Russian Halloween costumes might be in order. Here's one you might consider. Wouldn't take too much vodka to feel comfortable in this look.

[​IMG]

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Roby.

clint64, DabblinRazors and Robyflexx like this.
  4. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

A fast and forever rule: No SR(straight razors) and no sr(sharp rock). My first adventure with a razor( Gem, Pal or Gillette SE ? [1953] was a blood letting reminiscent of Genghis Khan. I have to admit, it would quite an accomplishment, but I think at my age, it would be fruitless. Thanks anyhow. With regards, Bill

5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug. Same old, dipples seem to get highlighted in the water.

clint64, Robyflexx and ram57 like this.
  6. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen! :)

7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That is one gorgeous straight, Guy!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Very nice Mark!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

9. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

They didnt. Seperate companies. Many people compare F&C to Fine aftershaves because they last a long time and have simple ingredients.

10. DabblinRazors

DabblinRazors Well-Known Member

I have a love / hate relationship with this razor. I absolutely love its beauty and sparkle, but the shaves always leave me asking myself, “And why did you try this razor, again?” I’ve got what seems to be a BBS shave, but my sensitive skin doesn’t care for the after burn. Nevertheless, my face is really smooth and I won’t need to shave again until Tuesday!

SOTD - 2016-10-02 - Smaller.jpg

After showering:

Pre-shave: Shave Secret
    Razor: 1956 (B2) Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed
    Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
    Brush: RazoRock Chubby Extra Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush with Olive Wood Handle
    Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    Water: Cold
    Alum Block: Yes, with a warming sensation.
    Post Shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe and a metric ton of menthol
    Aftershave Balm: No
    Aftershave: Florida Water

11. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

SHAVE OF THE DAY
    20161002_222614.jpg

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
    Razor: Gillette ball end tech
    Blade: Trig (1st shave)
    Brush: RazoRock plissoft
    Soap: Stirling British Leather

2 pass shave, face is still a little irritated from yesterday's shave. The Trig Blade seemed sharp enough, will take a few more shaves but so far it feels like a middle of the road blade. The British Leather scent filled the den, and the lather was perfect. Hope everyone had a great shave!

Linuxguile, ob1page, PLAla and 12 others like this.
  12. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Thanks Andrew. It's as sharp as it looks Too!!

13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Andrew. :happy088:

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Not normally what people say about superspeeds, is the blade allignment straight and equal on both sides?

15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I understand. Have fun!

16. DabblinRazors

David, thank you for asking. Once again, this evening before shaving, I visually inspected it for alignment and gap consistency and to my naked eye, and assuming my eyes are straight, the razor appears to be perfect. I just compared it to both my Fat Boy and Slim. The SuperSpeed (SS) gap appears to be equivalent to a 5 setting on the Slim and a 7 setting on the Fat Boy; however, the SS head appears to be very similar to the Slim and I have the same type of relationship with the Slim. My Fat Boy, I LOVE and we get along very well. It may be just a bit too aggressive for 3 passes over my sensitive-skinned visage or perhaps my technique needs to continue to evolve with these two razors. They are are beautiful, I still love them, and bring them out once in a while to play.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Upon reading your post, two factors added up.

The combination of noticeable irritation and hot alum is indicative of two things, and probably both at once. The first is too much pressure chasing bbs. The second is design related. The SS is pretty mild geometry, and requires "riding the cap" to assure that the blade meets skin at a low angle.

Make sure you keep the cap in contact with your skin. If the safety bar makes significant contact, the blade angle is too high. Higher angles scrape the skin, resulting in unwanted deep exfoliation, leaving skin raw and causing the "hot alum" sensation.

Another thing to try would be a smoother blade, one slightly less sharp than the mighty Rapira. (I love Rapira, and all things Moscow in blade world.) Blades and geometry form a system, and a blade like Shark or Derby might be just the thing sometimes.

Love Florida Water too! May your shaves be great!

18. DabblinRazors

Thank you for the feedback, @Bama Samurai. I very much appreciate it. It's interesting that you mention "riding the cap". That is indeed exactly what I was attempting to do. This has become perfunctory with my Fat Boy and for the most part with my EJDE89, but I seem to keep searching with the SS and Slim, and that may be leading to me unwittingly using too much pressure. And, per your advice, I'll use one of my more genteel blades next time. Thanks, again.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  19. Bama Samurai

If you like the FB set higher than 4, the SS may be too mild for your sensitive skin. Mild induces pressure. It's no good for guys like us.

In my experience, a super aggressive blade blade mount (FB on 9, Fatip, Schick E/G, et al), wielded delicately, at a low angle of attack yield the most comfortable safety razor shaves.

Do you skin stretch, opposing each stroke?

Word of warning: Schick G is the gateway drug to the pillow soft shaves of well prepared straight razors.

20. Bama Samurai

(closing for a while to transfer to new thread.)

New SOTD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.