SoS: September 5, 2016 - September 11, 2016

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Sep 4, 2016.

1. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Sorry about the newspaper.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Just a friendly reminder! This thread wraps up tonight and the new thread is ready:

SoS 12-18 September!

crackstar, ram57, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:thanks:buddy!

Bama Samurai, Paul Turner and clint64 like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

aah, you have the Country Club size! I had that one.

clint64 and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

cheaper than the 12oz bottle.

Paul Turner, clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

•Gillette President/1966 Super Speed flare tip
    •vintage Silver Star blade
    •Nivea menthol can o'goo

2 pass BBS, one side each razor. The '66 is a surprisingly fine shaver, but then it is a Super Speed. Possibly a hair more aggressive than the President but could have been my imagination.

a/s: Avon Oland (a good bottle for once). Nice smoky/dark barbershop scent, better suited for fall/winter.

7. Paul Turner

Oh, I'm sure it is. But as much as I love Clubman, I got rid of the Country Club one when I realized I could just pick up a 6 at a drugstore and ship it home for free(in my car, lol). A 6 is all I need really, as I like others too, and only use Clubman in the fall&winter seasons.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I those those scales! Beautiful!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

9. Paul Turner

AoS has one of the better Sandalwood's, I've been reading.

celestino and clint64 like this.
  10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

No pic today as I'm on the road

Razor Rocnel SE50\Tradere
    Blade: Feather Pro (D13)
    Brush: Muhle V2 Travel Brush
    Bowl: Collapsible Travel 5"
    Pre Shave Scrub: Holy Black True Grit
    Pre Shave Oil: AOS unscented
    Shave Soap: Captain's Choice scent unknown - test soap
    Aftershave: Captain's Choice Sandalwood
    Hit the road with a sample size shave soap that I providing feedback for Captains Choice. Not sure what the scent is it similar in aroma to a Pina Colada but also Swiss Chocolate Marzipan (almond/honey) but then I have life long sinus issues. Overall a very good shave, really like the scent but needs to be beefed up a little as it mellowed when lathering and the protection could be enhanced.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

SOTD - 11 September 2016

[​IMG]

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Smells like a Drug Store SEptember!!

September 11

Grand Blade Trial - Day Off
    Razor - Schick Type M Injector
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Tabac
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Post - Alum, Styptic, More Styptic, a little more Styptic, Clubman

I've been looking forward to this shave. My "M" Schick Injector, the same model that was my very first razor many moons ago and....the bonus....it came with about 6 blades left in the original pack. With "Krona" edge. That's gotta be good, right? The Chinese Schick blades are very good. Surprisingly so, really, but the real thing, the original, the absolute right blade in the razor should deliver an absolutely amazing shave. It's an M1 to be exact, made in 1965-66. My original was actually more likely an M2 or M3.

The numbers are missing from the dial on this one but I determined the starting point and marked about the halfway point. So we'll call that "5" and that's the setting. And with the original "Krona Edge" on my side it's gotta be a great shave taking me back to those early teen years of having my very first razor and shave. The only difference is I used some type of canned shave cream then. Most likely Gillette or something else popular.

So, loaded the 620 up and got a fantastic lather. Mmmmmmm Tabac. It's been awhile. Feeling good, it's Sunday morning, got some extra time before heading to work, I'm relaxed, coffee is fantastic this morning, it can't possibly be anything but a good shave.

First stroke of the razor, adjusting the angle....adjusting it more.....feels rough.....like very rough.......and pulling......and.......ummmmmmm......this is a Schick Injector, right? Not a DE with a Tiger or Flying Eagle? Because that's what this feels like. Seriously draggy, rough, and not cutting anything. Managed to endure the right side of my face and neck and rinsed to find the same level of beard I started with. Really? Well, maybe the first blade just had a problem. I've got 6 in the pack. Reloaded and went to the left side. Did I mention it feels like the Tiger?! Yeah, same thing. I pick up the ejected blade and examine it as I realize no reduction anywhere that I can tell. I can seriously push my finger against the edge of the blade and not cut myself. I tried running my finger over the blade very lightly....no bite or catch. Apparently 50 years of sitting in the injector pack was not a good thing for these blades. There's no sign of rust or other corrosion, just as dull as blunt steel. I'm thinking carbon blades that have just slowly lost their edge to time like they are prone to do. Well, that's disappointing. But, the razor is fine so I loaded a Chinese Schick blade and here we go again. Re-lathered, started on the right side again, and started getting a fantastic shave at that setting. Until.........

I went over the spot yesterday that the Type E chewed up a bit and......just butchered it again. SWMBO stepped in about that time to ask me something and just started shaking her head as the blood was running from my jawline by the goatee down my neck. I just kept shaving, did two passes, got a DFS everywhere but the river of blood and started cleaning up. Hit it with alum and said a few words from the incredible sting. Cold compress for a bit, and another round of Alum followed by styptic. Twice. Used two of the styptic matches from the Shaving Factory. That and some more cold water stopped the bleeding. Finished with Clubman and had a great fairly mild reaction except for the bloody patch. That burned like fire.

Not what I had in mind but, I've had worse. The actual shave was, as I said, a very nice DFS in two and I may come back at some point and play with the settings on the razor. I will only, however, use a modern blade. No more NOS Schick's for me!

Tomorrow I'm back to Grand Blade Trials. It's the Israeli Crystal up for the first three days. Can't do any worse than today, right?

[​IMG]

13. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

It is a fine scent, but I find it a tad synthetic compared to some artisanal soaps' sandalwood offerings. However, YMMV. :)

Robyflexx and clint64 like this.
  14. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

RazoRock - The Dead Sea
    Ever-Ready | TGN Finest
    RazoRock Wunderbar
    Gillette 7 O'clock Black (1)
    Floïd Blue

[​IMG]
    This was my first opportunity to use RazoRock's Wunderbar. The most concise description I can provide is that it's the Stealth Slant made with better material (and a much thinner base plate). This does not mean it shaves like the Stealth. For a long time the RRSSv4 (RazoRock Stealth Slant v4) was the only razor I used. I drifted away somewhat, not because I fell out of love, but rather that I wanted to explore other razors. Its efficiency and relative smooth performance is what keeps bringing me back. I do notice, however, that I have to relearn the razor after I've been away for a while.

Enter the Wunderbar. The first glaring performance difference is the weight. The dry weight was 111.1 grams, 77.6 grams of which is provided by the handle alone. That, alone, plays a huge role in performance for me. I tend to gravitate to heavier razors if not just heavier handles. This all translates to the necessity for a light touch. I also find that the efficiency increases with longer sweeping passes as opposed to short choppy strokes.

Other than the weight, I also noted I felt the blade a bit more than with the RRSS. I got a few weepers on my head, but again, that's par for me when I haven't used a torque-style slant in a while.

I like the heft and appearance of the handle, but it's inevitable that I'll swap it out with my prized Triad Rolling Hex which weighs in just 6 grams lighter and 0.2" longer than the stock handle. The brushed 316 stainless of the Triad will match the Wunderbar finish perfectly. But in the interest in trying out the Wunderbar, I wanted to at least start with the stock handle which is a comfortable length of 3.3".

Speaking of finish, the Wunderbar is shiny---definitely not matte, but it has tiny "scratches" that are evenly dispersed throughout. It gives it a slightly weathered appearance but not quite brushed. With a little effort, the finish could be brought to mirror, but I will never do that with this head. It has an aged, industrial feel about it that I rather like.

As far as fit is concerned, did I mention this is 316L stainless? It's a good material choice for a razor. There is zero blade tab overhang, but my 7 O'clock just stopped at the edge of the head showing there is no wasted width. The posts just barely clear the cutouts in the blade. The threads on the stem catch the blade during the install, but the last 2 mm (proximal to the head) are without threads, so the blade seats without binding. The result of these perfect tolerances is zero blade play. There's a 0.7 mm countersink depression where the handle meets the base plate. The depression is almost a millimeter wider than the end of the handle, so it will make most of your other handles appear to be made for it as well. The handle threads smoothly, and after threading about half-way, there's no wobble. With a blade installed and the handle tightened firmly, the posts descend 3.74 mm through the base plate. This is just enough to facilitate stable alignment without interfering with anything.

It's way too early to know where the Wunderbar will fit in my usage pattern, but it has made a promising start. The design reflects the long thought-out process in the evolution of the machined slant from RazoRock that I once believed had peaked with the Stealth.

15. Paul Turner

I need to try a sandalwood-seems to be a year-round fragrance(to me anyway).

clint64 likes this.
  16. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Sun 11th Sept

RazoRock Plissoft 22mm
    Lea Classic Soap
    PAL Injecto Matic
    Schick S/S [ 7-Japan]
    Lea Classic A/S Lotion

Needing a quick dependable shave I stayed with a PAL ,this time the one with a Schick like handle. The shave was quick ,comfortable but also nice and close. These blades seem to get smoother as they age.

IMG_0839.jpg

alfredus, Recklesstr, mrchick and 9 others like this.