Sous Vide???

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Terry, Jul 9, 2021.

1. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Blair.
    The cutting board is great for slicing meats. Really grabs, barely have to hang on to whatever I'm slicing with my off hand. The other side is smooth for slicing vegetables and such.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

IAmTheJody, b1hart and Edison Carter like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I did pork loins for dinner tonite. First I skewer tenderize them then season well with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and paprika. Let sit for a few hours to tenderize further before cooking. Cook at 140 F for 3 - 4 hours, usually 4 unless a small piece then 3. Rest the meat for at least 20 minutes if not longer then finish with a pan sear using a bit of rendered fat I have and butter to give it a good light brown color and crunch to the outside. Cooking at 140 guarantees a super juicy piece of pork that is also very tender when doing it this way but with a light pink middle. I just need to let the dinning participants know that cooking pork in this manner is not undercooking it as per conventional means because besides taste you cook to kill pathogens and other nasties. Pasteurization of meat which is what the sous vide cooking method does is just like cooking it until it is a burnt offering.

b1hart likes this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I did a skirt steak for 24ish hours at 130° for fajitas. Moist and super tender. This'll be my go to for skirt steaks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Are you sure that’s not penguin brisket?

5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I don't get it. Inside joke?

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

6. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Yes. I should have tagged @richgem .

jluc likes this.
  7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Gotcha

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

:(

OldSaw likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Whole chicken spatchcocked and sealed along with salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, thyme, butter and sliced lemon. Sous Vide set at 148° for the next seven hours. The recipes I've found were going four hours but they were using three to three and a half pound chickens. The smallest I could find was just over five pounds.

[​IMG]

OldSaw, b1hart and IAmTheJody like this.
  12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Winner winner chicken dinner.
    The chicken came out juicy and delicious. Unfortunately the skin tore in several places removing it from the bag so not photo worthy. Served with a side of zucchini spears browned in butter.

OldSaw, b1hart and IAmTheJody like this.
  13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Rack of lamb from sous vide to smoker. Finished with a quick kiss from the flamethrower. Delicious!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Primotenore and IAmTheJody like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

36 hour cook for chuck steak will make it come out like filet mignon and even tastier than filet mignon. No extra tenderizing needed, just season to your liking and finish it with a sear. I personally use a mix of lard and butter in a screaming hot pan to finish steaks off after a sous vide cook.

Primotenore likes this.