Soviet Super Shavers (SSS ☭) home for fellow fans of Russian shaving products)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joe Nobles, May 23, 2018.

1. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I haven't met a Russian blade yet that I didn't like but my absolute favorites are Voskhods. Voskhods are so smooth and forgiving to me but I realize with blades more than anything YMMV.

Keithmax, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  2. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Yes, as far as I know, those scales are original to the razor. This razor gives me some of my best shaves.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  3. Kraken98

Kraken98 Well-Known Member

Somebody say russian? This is one of my Russian razors I haven't taken any pictures of it yet but it was one of my first buys. A lovely little razor and a beautiful one at that.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  4. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

There are two main makers of shaving creams, lotions and the like from the FSU. One called Svoboda/Свобода which means "Freedom" is located in Moscow, the other is Dzintars of Riga in Latvia.

Svoboda states the following about themselves:

The factory " FREEDOM " originated on the basis of the first perfumery factory in Russia "A. Ralle and Co., which was founded in 1843 in Moscow by a French citizen, merchant Alfons Antonovich Ralle.

Dzintars tells us:

"Dzintars" began in the middle of the nineteenth century, when in essence, the foundations for the perfumery and cosmetics industry in Latvia were laid. In 1849, the Heinrich Adolf Briger Soap and Perfumery Factory was established in Riga, producing soap, candles and filling insignificant quantities of perfumes and eau de cologne from imported finished compositions from France.

Both brands are available online on this website:

https://voskhod.eu/index.php?route=common/home

You will find many other FSU products on this great site. All of the prices seem a good fit for the budget minded shaver.

Maybe some of you have tried products from these companies, if so please tells us what you experienced.

I know that I'm planning to try Svoboda's Apple Blossom shave cream as soon as I can and at $2.21 a tube but buy a couple of items because shipping begins at $4.57. Item prices are able to be shown in Pounds Sterling US Dollars and Euros, but shipping is only shown in Euros. Some of these products can also be found on the bay if you want to go that route.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    RyX and Frijolero like this.
  5. Joe Nobles

Mostochlegmash/Мосточлегмаш has a very nice website. They make the Rapira, Voskhods, Lada lines of blades. They also makea couple of razors too. They are in Moscow. As noted before Gillette too has a manufacturing facility in St. Petersburg where they make the following blades:

Gillette Super Stainless
    Gillette Platinum
    Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless
    Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge
    Permasharp
    Iridium Super
    Astra (Superior Platinum, Super Stainless and Keramik)
    Sputnik
    Polsilver
    Rotbart
    Nacet
    Tiger

So that's quite a list for those of us that like to explore, if any of you have had any experience with the more obscure blades on thislist please share your thoughts on them.

Keithmax and Linuxguile like this.
  6. Joe Nobles

The above post was also posted on the thread where I initially asked about clubs.

Linuxguile likes this.
  7. Joe Nobles

So I rolled the dice, and bought a Russian Rubin off the bay. So once it arrives I will give a full review.

RyX, Keithmax and cliffb599 like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Don't forget the Gillette Rubie, and of course the Gillette Silver Blue.

9. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Yes, I can help you). Can address if necessary to me the personal message.
    Photo poor-quality enough, I can read through the Razor and Moscow (the Moscow factory), it is the good razor. If you will show photos of high quality, I shall help you with perusal of an inscription.

Да, я могу вам помочь ). Можете обращаться при необходимости ко мне личным сообщением.
    Фото довольно некачественное, я могу прочитать Бритва и Москва ( Московский завод), это хорошая бритва. Если вы покажете фотографии хорошего качества, я вам помогу с прочтением надписи.

RyX, Keithmax and cliffb599 like this.
  10. Joe Nobles

So do any of you know the names of the factories in Russia where they made the razors that took all those fabulous blades? How about the makers marks I know that they used them on photo gear, factory logos are also found on the inside of pocketwatches, so I'm sure they have them on safety razors too.

Who made for instance the Ideal, Rubin, and other DE razors of the Soviet era?

Last edited: May 30, 2018