Specially for Sara: semolina cake with carrot(!) and orange

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by macaronus, Feb 22, 2014.

1. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

A soft cake with a slight 'nutty' taste (semolina). A great cake for TSD members (who are nuts anyway) and certain wabbits which I won't mention

What you need:
    • 100 g / 3.5 oz of almonds
    • 2 oranges
    • 2 eggs
    • 250 g / 8.8 oz of fine sugar
    • 150 g / 5.3 oz of butter (at room temperature and in small chunks)
    • 250 g / 8.8 oz of ricotta (fresh cream cheese, Galbani)
    • 300 g / 10.6 oz of CARROTS! (peeled) - perhaps some more if you like them vewy, vewy much!
    • 250 g / 8.8 oz of semolina
    • 8 g / 0.3 oz of baking powder
    • 50 g / 1.8 oz of sugar powder
    • food processor
    • cake mould (30 cm / 12 inches , greased)
    • baking paper
    • skewer
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

1. preheat the oven on 180 degrees C / 356 degrees F. Heat a frying pan (no oil or butter) and roast the almonds for about 4 minutes. Let the almonds cool slightly on a plate
    2. grate the orange peel from the oranges. Put gratings, eggs, sugar, butter and half of the ricotta in a bowl and mix for 5 minutes with the food processor
    3. grind the almonds and put them in a large bowl. Grate the carrots coalrely and keep apart (NO eating yet!)
    4. mix the semolina, the baking powder and a small pinch of salt with the grind almonds. Stir in the ricotta mixture and then add the grated carrots.
    5. drape the cake mould with the baking paper. Scoop in the baking mix and bake for about 50 minutes in the centre of the oven. Check after 40 minutes if it is cooked through with a skewer. Stick it in, pull it out. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
    6. Take the cake from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Take the cake out and let it cool for another hour on a grating. Ample of time to squeeze out an orange. Mix one tablespoon with the sgar powder and the rest of the ricotta.
    7. Serve.
    8. Eat.
    9. Enjoy!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Looks quite tasty, Mike!
    I'm going to share this with my wife who is quite the baker. Since we're a gluten-free household, I'm sure she'll find an adequate substitute for the semolina (maybe almond flour!).
    I love the combo of orange, almonds, carrots & ricotta!
    :drool:

macaronus likes this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yummy for us wabbits! Can't wait to try it.

Question about step 6- is the other half the cheese/sugar/OJ for frosting?

4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Just scoop a bit of it on yer slice of cake.
    Though the cake tastes yummy without it as well!