Splalted maple scales

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by JPJ, Aug 30, 2014.

1. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

I made these today for that Clauss razor I showed a few days ago ...

Tracking is a bit off but I'm not trying to win any awards ... Just shave .

Used the original wedge otherwise all new parts. image.jpg image.jpg

2. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

I have some Spalted Maple blanks that I have not done anything with yet, mainly wondering how they would look finished, now I know. I have a Joseph Rodgers & Sons 'Cutlers To His Majesties' to rescale and hadn't decided what to put it in until now....Thanks!

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice job on the scales! Spalted maple is always an exceptional wood to work with as the results always seem to please. Did you apply any finish, or is it raw wood? Hard to tell from the photos.
    You can adjust alignment with some corrective light peening on the hinge pins.
    Some very good directional pinning advice in this video from Glen @gssixgun …Check the 20:40 mark in the video for correcting blade alignment:

4. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Does the fungus make the wood tricky to work in any way, more brittle or anything like that? Either way job well done I'd say, they look great! :happy088:

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I find the spalted woods only really get tricky when you're using thinner veneers. The thicker stock is pretty stable, for the most, but there are exceptions.

6. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

I used some flax oil ...

Tried the peen, worked well ... Close to perfect ... Thanks

7. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

I cut the wood myself like 2 months ago. when I found the splated parts I used wood stabilizer for 7 days brushing it on ....

8. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

Also I honed the blade ... Diamond corse stone to set bevel the. Shapton 320 --> 15k then strop on green oxide then leather ... Then shaved with it .... I guess I'm learning honing bc no issues with the shave .... Not used to the very sharp point on the end but my ear lobe taught me quick to watch out :)

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Very nice!