splash then balm? or the other way around?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Ishouldbeking, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Ishouldbeking

Ishouldbeking Member

I like to use an aftershave splash, but I always have to use some kind of moisturizer as well, or my skin will flake up. Sometimes I'll use a moisturizing balm, or sometimes just a plain facial moisturizer, but i'm curious how the rest of you folks combine them, and what order you apply.

Typically I've been applying the splash first, so i get the nice tingle and 'tightening' effect, then i rub in the moisture/balm afterwards. This works alright, though often the last scent i'm left with is whatever the moisturizer happens to smell like, which can either be a completely neutral 'cream' smell, or sometimes even a girly fragrance that i'm not that into, depending on the product.

Now it seems like I'd be able to apply a balm first and then perhaps apply the splash second, almost like a cologne (but directly to the face) for scent purposes mainly, but the few times I've tried it, the splash hasn't really sunk in or evaporated the way i'd want it to.

So out of curiosity, if you, like me, need moisture but are hooked on aftershave splashes, how do you do it?

2. aubug

aubug Member

other way around

I first apply the balm and then wait about 5 minutes for the balm to soak in and then apply the splash

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's how I do it. Doesn't make it right, but it works for me. Never really gave it much thought.

4. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I use 444 ASB combined with a splash.....

Put a pea-size amount of 444 in your hand, splash the after shave on it and apply it on your face.

5. alabamalawyer

alabamalawyer Member

I prefer the alcohol splash first followed by the balm. The 444 balm is good stuff. It is unscented but gives you some menthol and glycerin to combine with your alcohol-based splash.

6. wazazzle

wazazzle New Member

+2..... Splash 1st, Balm 2nd

7. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Splash first for the nice sting, followed by an unscented balm like Nivea or Woody's. After the balm dissipates a light splash scent bleeds through. When I do this I usually choose one of my stronger splash scents.

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

first the splash then the balm.

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I do the same routine as Steve, balm first followed by splash several minutes later.

10. Ishouldbeking

Ishouldbeking Member

Which Nivea do you use? I have the Replenishing Balm, and while I like it, the scent is relatively strong to me, so I haven't mixed it with any of the splashes. It has kind of a "men's deodorant" fragrance, which is ok, but I wish it were completely neutral.

11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Nivea For Men Extra Soothing Balm

12. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

What's the Woody's like?

I know their shampoo and hairgel, but don't know about the after shave balm.

13. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

It is called "Woody's Rescue Post Shave" in a 148 ml tube. I use it when I have a particularly rough shave, which occurred more often 8 months ago when my technique less accomplished. It is a super healer/moisturizer. Better than Nivea IMHO, though a bit oily if too much is applied.

14. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

My .02 is splash then balm. I feel like the splash is the antiseptic cleaning up the face. The balm then is the moisturizer that goes on a couple minutes after the splash. And I am gorgeous so it works.:signs113

15. gman41

gman41 Member

One or the other

One or the other for me. I feel as if the other would dilute or cancel out the first. For scent I use a spray cologne mostly.

16. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Splash then balm.

17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

After rinsing with cold water while my face is still wet I rub in the balm, let soak in, maybe while still rubbing in...then splash. If it burns I'll finish with some balm to put out the fire, if not I leave well enough alone...:))

18. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

Splash 1st...then balm if I need it. My wife bought me some Nivea balm and I use it if I have razor burn or irritation.

19. Try Proraso splash...no balm needed

20. vesalius

vesalius New Member

I've been using Proraso pre/post shave followed by Nivea balm for sensitive skin. Is that silly to be putting them together like that? I love the menthol hit from the Proraso but want the soothing of the Nivea.

Any suggestions?