sportsman tech .

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Mar 22, 2018.

1. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

+1
    the "Sportsman Tech" has a aluminum handle and "Gillette" is stamped, not etched on the cap. Here you can see the different of brass (left) and aluminum (middle and right) handle:

P1050661.JPG P1050664.JPG

brit, AGHisBBS, TobyC and 1 other person like this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Isn't that the zinc alloy cap? And on a razor clearly marked as a Sportsman?

Same cap as this?

[​IMG]

brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

For someone who’s not a collector and just a shaver... you sure know a lot about razors... lol :rofl:

brit likes this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I just like to know what I'm shaving with! :D

And knowledge is cheap, razors can be expensive. :sad027:

brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

great info.i stand corrected..i guess many of us including myself have purchased ,owned and seen razors portrayed as a gillette sportsman tech.that must make the richard andrews video on the tsd thread" info on an english tech "incorrect as well.on that note my brass handle /cap tech from that era is nice to shave with.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  6. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I have the aluminium handled version with that same "stamped" head that came from a hair brush with a zipper pocket on the back, and I can't tell the difference between any of those above Haha!

Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

what razor is priedy s razor? his is all brass.

8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

In my opinion, there is no standard set of parts that came on a Gillette Tech. You can roughly group them in many ways if you choose to, but "Sportsman" is nothing more than meaningless sales hype, and not an actual razor.

Parts were made from brass, steel, zinc alloy, plastic (even clear), bakelite, aluminum, and who knows what else, and any combination of materials was possible.

brit likes this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I say we call them all sportsman. I like the name and frankly don’t care. Lol I have a few of these.. I like the brass version the best, but I have a regular aluminum version and a French aluminum version thats now going to be called “ Le Sportsman” viva la France !

Dansco and brit like this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I know you weren't asking me, but I don't think it has a name, it's just an early '60's Tech. Many of Gillette's razors had multiple identities depending on the name of the set they were in or the specific packaging, once the set or packaging goes away so does that identity.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

that makes sense.i guess that stuff only matters to hard core collectors.i do like to collect gillettes from different countries but the post war techs do feel milder than the prewar ones.i do like the heavier versions better.

TobyC likes this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

As indicted not a lot of definitive info on the "Sportman Tech" out there. I based my assessment (of mine) from the video mentioned above so I could be off base. One thing for sure It has the non-diamond markings, handle is all brass and made in England. Maybe the Made in England part is the one indictor of the Sportmans Tech. But based on the other various pictures it appears the S.T. has various cap designs in addition to (norm) aluminum handles.

brit and TobyC like this.
  13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I can't dispute that assessment. Gillette is notorious for mixing and matching inventory.

TobyC likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well for anyone that doesn't know it; I'm a nut for the unusual. It doesn't have to be crazy priced (toggle) just not seen everyday. So that said yesterday I picked up a brass handled Tech (non-diamond head), I guess it's a Sportsman. I paid a little more than I usually do, but I was informed I go it for a good price.
    s-l1600-10-2.jpg

To me it looked like the last hurrah of the all brass well built Techs. :cool:

Jorvaljr, preidy and brit like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The head is brass or Zamac? The blades are c1966 give or take a year, after when the transition to Zamac is supposed to have taken place.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Brass
    s-l1600-11-3.jpg

Blades are an OK reference to look at, but that only says the last time someone bought blades and I always put in an unused pack of blades in a razor and case to make it look more appealing when selling.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

very cool.

Enrico likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep. Congrats, nice razor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Nice. From a glance the set looks to be in great shape.

Enrico likes this.