Sprained Ankle still hurting after 3 months.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by venom0706, May 26, 2020.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

I sprained my ankle really bad around 3 months ago.

It was so bad that I couldn't walk for 2-3 days straight as any weight would constitute in really bad pain.

Throughout the healing process, I applied ice, rested it and didn't put any weight for it for a solid few days. I however, never went to a doctor to see it.

3 months later, I can walk normally, it's just that in the initial 1 hour, there is that numb background pain in the area where I sprained it. It usually comes and goes. If I walk for 2+ hours, the pain goes away. There are no signs of bruising and I can spin the ankle in any direction.

Before recommending going to a doctor, do you think I should wait 1-2 more months and see how it goes? I really hope surgery won't be needed...

Would any torn ligaments be able to heal on their own without surgical intervention?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2020
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I had a similar issue. Ruptured the tendon sheath on my Achilles tendon. The doctor said that they could perform surgery and correct it. Heal time was 2 to 4 months. The other option was to leave it alone and let it heal naturally. Heal time for that was 2 to 4 months. Guess which option I choose?

I doubt you "sprained" your ankle, sprained ankles don't take that long to heal. You may have been walking around on a greenstick fracture for the last three months.

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have a similar problem. Good sprains usually take longer to heal, than a fracture.

Shaver X likes this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Be thankful you're not a horse and go to a doctor.;)

Enrico, Shaver X, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

What he said.

Enrico likes this.