Spreading The Word, Or...?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by mantic, Jan 8, 2008.

1. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Every once in a while I will perform an "ego surf" on Google, searching for the keyword "mantic59" (plus a couple variations). I do it partly out of curiosity and partly to make sure some commercial site is not trying to "sell" my videos. Over the past few months I've also used Google's blog search function (blogsearch.google.com) to search for shaving-related topics. And indeed I do find an occassional posting from some random blogger (not Leisureguy or Kafeneio or qhsdoitall) about the lousy shave they're getting or that they "discovered" some new trick to shaving (typically someone we here have known for ages). I have responded to a few of these postings, suggesting the shaving forums (or some other source) to address their needs. The responses from the blogger, when I get them, usually fall into either "hey, that's interesting" or "WTF Dood" buckets.

I want to "spread the word" of traditional shaving to these folks. But is it truly advocacy or would it be more like astroturfing?

--Mark

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I think this is a great idea!

I guess you'll get a more positive response if you are a fellow blogger, rather than advocating/soliciting/recomending links.

Why don't YOU start a blog too? And use that to promote shaving, you could incorporate your videos in the blog and you already have a wealth of knowledge to sip from.

3. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Actually I do, two in fact: mantic59.blogspot.com and mantic.livejournal.com. I just don't post to them very much because others (Leisureguy, Kefeneio, qhsdoitall, etc.) do it better.

--Mark

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Send the word

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw9yEuwohkk[/ame]

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Perfect, there you've got it! I think that would be the way to approach other bloggers.

6. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Do you guys think a blog is more often read than having a website OR what Mark has done??? use YouTube. YouTube is how I became aware of wetshaving techniques..
    I thank you for that Mark.
    If you have the time and inclination to do a lot of writing..I enjoy Leisureguy's...it would be interesting. I don't have the energy to keep a good diary.
    I should!
    I'll have to look up the two other guys mentioned.
    Tom

7. minderasr

minderasr Member

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I wish someone pointed me to the wetshaving world sooner. Thanks for your work Mantic