Sputnik Blade Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by feeltheburn, Aug 13, 2020.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I got about 50 of these blades a while back as part of a large Russian blade sampler and finally got around really trying them out. I've used them exclusively for the past 6 weeks or so and went through 20 of them so far in a variety of my favorite razors so I feel like I've got a pretty good impression of them now.

TLDR: Decent blade but not very long lasting and not cheap enough to make them compelling for me.

Sharpness: I was pretty impressed with the sharpness of these blades. They feel right up there with Gillette Rubies to me so they don't leave me wanting there. I only experienced a little tugging on a couple occasions when I pushed the blade to a third shave.

Smoothness: Also not bad. I usually judge smoothness based on alum feedback after the shave. I didn't get as many perfectly irritation free shaves with these as I get with my favorite blades but the alum feedback was never severe as long as I didn't push the blade too long.

Longevity: This is where these blades fall flat IMO. About 80% of the time I tossed the blade after 2 shaves. The first shave was almost always the best with very little alum feedback. The second shave usually gave me enough alum feedback that I didn't want to push the blade any farther. The times where the second shave was pretty irritation free and I went for a third shave, I always got more alum feedback than I like. This happened on a wide variety of razors from mild to aggressive. Just for reference, I typically have no trouble getting at least 3 shaves from my favorite blades.

Cost: A quick look at ebay shows these going for $15-$18/100. I'd guess shipping from Russia is a significant part of that cost. If they were cheaper they might be worth it but there are better blades available for the same price or maybe even a bit less.

Final Verdict: Pass. I'll use up the remainder of the blades I've got but don't feel the need to buy any more.

PLANofMAN likes this.