Sputnik Razor Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Norseman, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Greetings,

I have not seen much talk about the Sputnik blade in here. Therefore I wanted to spread the love and give you my experience with this magnificent blade.

This is a very sharp and smooth blade, and I will rate it near perfect on both accounts. And with that I mean that it is not "dangerously" sharp as the feather can be. But it is just sharp enough (and more) to cut through my beard without much resistance. It is also very smooth and forgiving. It is a pure joy to shave with.

I do not shave as much as I used to, so yesterday I had managed to save up seven days worth of "beardiness" and it was time to do something about it. For this particular shave I loaded up my slant bar with a feather and went to work.
    After a few strokes, curiosity got the best of me and I reached for my Merkur 34c loaded with a Sputnik blade. And it mowed down my week worth of growth just as efficiently as the slant bar. The only difference was that the feather in the slant was brand new, while the sputnik had been used five times before.

So this is not only a sharp blade, but it has a lot of constitution and stamina as well.
    A top notch blade that everyone should try, in my honest opinion. And I try to be honest when I can.
    Honestly I do..

[​IMG]

Old pic just for reference

tuxxdk and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Haven't tried them. Now I will. Thanks!

Norseman likes this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I for one have never tried any of them, and or heard of them until your post. I just might have to try some of them. Thanks for the review. Well written good review.

Norseman likes this.
  4. Norseman

Thank you Sir. I haven't written much lately, at least in English, so I am glad I managed to make myself understood :)

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Out of this world. Have to give them a try. Thanks.

Norseman likes this.
  6. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Can you (or anyone else) compare the Sputnik to the Voskhod, especially for smoothness?

7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I believe the Sputniks will be in my next tryablade.com order. Thanks.

8. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

From my experience trying them both one after the other, the Sputnik is a tad sharper, while the Voskhod is a mite smoother. For me, the Voskhod did not pair especially well with a relatively mild 41c due to the sharpness issue. A more aggressive razor might make them 'sing' more.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've never used these but have wanted to, just due to the name. Nobody I order from sells them though.

10. Norseman

From what I recall, I found the Voskhod to ba a decent blade. But not in the same league as the Sputnik. In fact looking at my "notes" in The Shave Den archive I rate it as not good enough to warrant a larger purchase.
    It does what it is supposed to do, but do not excel in it.

If it helps, I got mine from a russian vendor on Ebay for $12. But if you are living in CONUS land, this place might be of service: http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/catalog/double-edge-razor-blades/sputnik-blades

I just want to finish of this post by mentioning that I just had my sixth shave with this blade and it still performed flawlessly. Granted, I did notice a slight reduction in both sharpness and smoothness. But in a battle of wits, it would hold its own against respected blades, like Astra, Derby or any of the 7 o'clocks. And combined with the power of Ogallala I had a mighty fine shave.

Mr. Shaverman and markjnewcomb like this.
  11. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I like the Sputniks! I recently took one to 4 shaves (head and neck) and it was still super smooth. I will most likely be getting more :)

stuartganis and Norseman like this.