Sputniks

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by colosilverado, Nov 13, 2011.

1. colosilverado

colosilverado Active Member

I think I have found my favorite Russian blade and my favorite blade, period. Sputniks!
    I'd rate the Rapira Platinum Lux and the Voskhods slightly behind both the platinum and teflon Sputniks after using them all for awhile with different lengths of hair.
    They last about the same as the Voskhods, with slightly more oomph.
    The Sputniks are, to me, slightly sharper and smoother. The SuperSteel and Ladas fall quite a ways behind.

Blades tried:
    Rapira Platinum Lux
    Rapira Super Steel
    Ladas
    Astra Super Platinum
    Feather
    Gillette Rubie
    Gillette 7 o'clock yellows
    Voskhod

2. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I have never tried them or the voskhods, maybe I should add them to the list. The rapira platinum lux have worked very well for me. YMMV.
    I am sure someone will have some information for you.

3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have never tried them, ive got some voskhod very smooth but seem to dull quickly, i'm really liking my Astra's at the moment
    Blades ive tried so far are

Voskhod
    Gillette stainless
    Wilkinsons
    Polsilver super iridium
    Astra super platinum
    Feather
    Derby
    Persona super blue

4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Spuntnik blades are decent blades.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I found the Sputnik and the Voskhod work equally well for me. Since we have close to 4000 Voskhod stockpiled and only 10 Sputnik I am pretty much stuck with the Voskhod.

6. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I just finished my first Sputnik blade. I got 5 great shaves out of it and like stingraysrock, I find them to be nearly identical to the Voskhod (my top blade). The only difference being the Sputnik needed one shave to reach its prime.

Also like stingrays rock, I have a 400:1 ratio of Voskhods to Sputniks, however my actual count is an order of magnitude less, at 400 Voskhods to 1 Sputnik. If I ever find the Sputnik around $15/100, I'll buy some, but right now the best I see is $30/100 at RBM, or $28/100 on ebay. I'll enjoy this last Sputnik and move on to testing other brands.

7. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

IMHO the sputnik's were very unpleasureable blades, lots of drag more weapers then usual had trouble making its way threw 2 days beard growth growth. Gave them a shot to tried 3 blades, I really wanted to like them. At the end of the day there just a middle of the road blade. Sputnik just didnt like the look of my face I guess ;)
    Given the choice between the nehiborhood bully sputnik or voskhod I would take the voskhod.