Stahly Head Repair

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Jun 12, 2020.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Recently I acquired two Stahly razors from @Jrdelgado. One is in nice working order, but the other one has a couple of faults. It won't wind up and on one side of the base plate, the leaf spring is broken. I have heard lots of praise as how these heads work on other handles, and I wanted to try and fix the broken base plate. As you can see in the first pic, I used tape to keep everything in place...............
    IMG_20200612_145833.jpg

Then I applied J-B Weld to both sides...............
    IMG_20200612_150442.jpg

After the epoxy set for a while, I turned the base plate over and I also put some J-B Weld on both sides...........
    IMG_20200612_154949.jpg

I'll shave with it some time in the next few days, and hope it'll work. I also like that the Stahly head is heavier than a tech head, very nice. For now it'll go on a spare Gillette Tech fat handle...............
    IMG_20200612_155602.jpg

PLANofMAN and steve207 like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

So is the leaf spring still springing?? You can sometimes hear it when it's doing its thing.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Since it was broken, I decided to just epoxy it to make it a solid head. I can still use the other Stahly, which is in good shape.

jmudrick likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sure, and you've got the other one that's fully sprung. Would be interesting to see if you perceive a difference between them when using a third party handle.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use a Stahly head on a fat brass handle(probably a little fatter than a bulldog). It gives me a great smooth irritation free shave. I use it in combination with an Ikon Slant head on a Maggard MR18 handle.. I start with the slant head and finish up with the Stahly. The pair give me daily smooth irritation free DFS shaves. :happy088:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm a Tibam and ATT man.[​IMG]

178-bplatoon, PLANofMAN and jimjo1031 like this.