Stainless or carbon steel?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lancre, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

SCHICKINJECTOR.jpg

Does anyone here know what these blades are made from?

I recently acquired a Schick Eversharp injector razor and some blades to go with it. I was seriously underwhelmed by the performance, and I wonder what the blades are made of. Vintage stainless steel blades are usually fine, but carbon steel blades don't tend to age well, which would explain the poor performance.

brit likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Carbon. If they've been well preserved they'll shave fine, as long as one knows that carbon feels different from stainless. Assuming good storage/no rust, I have never believed carbon edges spontaneously dull over time...however, old carbon injector blades don't compare as well to old carbon DE blades (that's how they feel to me). I still have a couple handfuls of vintage carbon DEs of several brands, but ditched all non-stainless injector blades long ago for just that reason.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup I would say Carbon. I have never had a vintage injector CS blade that shaved.

4. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Proper storage is a huge IF. I've never run across a vintage carbon DE blade I liked. New carbons are another story.
    On the SE side, I get comparable shaves from the coated SS Gem blades and the new carbons from CVS.

I'll have to get some new SS injector blades before I make a final judgement on the Eversharp.

Thanks, guys.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A good source of nice Personna PTFE coated blades is @Linuxguile.

brit likes this.
  6. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I'd agree that they are carbon. I may be wrong, but as far as I can recall, in the five months that I have been in the hobby, all 20 blade dispensers, have had carbon steel blades in them.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I assume the black dispenser is WW2 issue?

8. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new each day.

I have no idea. I'm not that familiar with injector blades.