Stainless Razors for the long haul

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by xnykid, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Thumper4524

Thumper4524 Member

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Fatip has made an all stainless steel razor - or any part out of steel :)

Troy M likes this.
  3. Thumper4524

Thumper4524 Member

I'm sorry, I had forgotten that. Maybe the Fatip has been on my mind and wishlist lately.

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

I LOVE SHAVING WITH THE FATIP! Very smooth and efficient shave. That's the feeling I want to find in a machined milled stainless.

Thumper4524 likes this.
  5. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I have Gillette DE razors from the '40s and '50s that are still as sound as the day they were made. Why pay $200+ for a SS razor when a vintage brass one will work and last just as long for a tenth the cost?

Thumper4524 and BigCabDaddy like this.
  6. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I agree with this. But if you really want a SS and if you can wait a bit, the New Rockwell MIM is going to be shipped out shortly (according to email I received today). Based on photos it appears they have addressed the issues from the original 6S design. Many of us here will be receiving them and will be giving our impressions. If everything was fixed, a good value at around 80 bucks for an all SS razor. I use the original as my daily driver now and hoping the MIM version is even better.

7. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

I have zero experience with old razors so i just bought a Black Beauty Adjustable to get started there. Just form pictures the NEW looks a lot like a Fatip in the design of the comb so i will probably be asking some questions on that comparison on another thread.
    I vacillate a lot on the SS milled razor but this week the short handled BlackBird is really catching my attention, just need to know if it will really get as close as i am used to.

8. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

the piccolo is less than $20 now on Smallflower.com Grande just a few bucks more

Thumper4524 likes this.
  9. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

My Rockwell question is about "smoothness" read all the reviews that i can find on all the sites and that seemed to be a common discussion even for the guys who were liking the razor. the MIM version looks a lot cleaner.

10. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

+1

Thumper4524 likes this.
  11. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

"Smoothness" in razor design or shave you receive from it?

12. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

how it moves across the skin
    and the shave of course as in close

13. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

After I cleaned up the underside of the original top cap with a dremel (had slag causing blade to be "wavy") I have always received a smooth close shave. There were several design/manufacturing issues that between their rework of the top cap (the one I received was awful/usuable) and trying to tighten tolerances on the base plates caused issues. my baseplate replacements were fine and a small (.002) variance from original design. So between the original parts and replacements I have a great razor. Some were not so lucky. There is still loud audible feedback (i.e. loud cutting sound) but does not affect the smooth close shaves I get.
    I know the guys who own the Rockwell company joined here and may jump in. The new design appears to have addressed all the issues I brought up.
    Having said that, I would still wait until the new MIM is released and reviewed. I personally cobbled together a great razor where DFS and BBS are the norm.

xnykid likes this.
  14. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

i have always been a "form follows function" kind of guy and find things that work more attractive to me than things that just look good. (I call them"Kardashian" Stuff, IMHO just useless) I would love to see the new ones get some good press. I would also love to know if there would be a "no questions asked" return policy? I realize that is easier to do when your charging $175 for just a head. I know rockwell is a good value.

15. Thumper4524

Thumper4524 Member

After looking at the Rockwell 6S, I have to say that my curiosity is piqued.......

16. ASD2

ASD2 New Member

The guys who launched that product are top notch. They've really gone above and beyond by Kickstarter standards.

That said I had no luck getting useable baseplates from them (the safety bars all bowed outward, which although still shaved fine I'm wary of). However, they are sending me V2 free of charge and that's a win in my book.

Thumper4524 and xnykid like this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Id say they have improved over the past few months but I would not call how they dealt with the situation initially even remotely above and beyond anything.

Extremely poor communication, continuing to selling a product that was proven to have an extremely high defective rate, etc

To their credit they have indeed improved and but I am not sure they deserve any credit at all for replacing a product - that they continued to sell post-kickstarter - that never should have been shipped in the first place. That is just cleaning up a mess that shouldn't even had been there to begin with. I'm sure they are nice guys and maybe even friends of yours but they sure did not come across as credible for the first year and I think that experience sticks with a lot of potential customers.

18. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

but, you do love their razors? correct?

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I like the razor quite a bit as I bought mine second hand and identified as a good one before I bought it. I just wish I respected their business practices more

Anyway, sorry for sidetracking.

xnykid likes this.
  20. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

You know, i really wish you would take a shave with an R41 so we would have baseline for a conversation about your razor experiences