Star is not Gillette, Correct ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jim Corbett, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

I have seen a Gillette Milford case with a gold tone Star Razor which does not fit anything in the Krumholz book. My thought is a knock off razor in a Gillette box. Is this correct ?

2. tom myers

tom myers Member

That is correct. The Star was originally a wedge bladed razor made by Kampfe Brothers back in the 1890's and 1900's. It eventially was merged into what became American Safety Razor. The brand was used on some ASR single edge razors for many years. In the '40's the Star brand was used on ASR's entry into the double edge competition. The double edge Star model 100 was of a similar design to a Gillette Tech but Gillette and Star were never one and the same. They were competitors.

I suspect you've seen some kind of Ebay auction that would lead you to believe they were the same? Some sellers don't know what they are doing. They find an old Gillette in a Star case or vice versa and so they call it a "Gillette Star".

By the way, that Gillette model you mention is Milord, not Milford.

Regards,
    Tom

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

actually, the star razor dates back about 10 years earlier, even more.

i think thirdeye on B&B even has one from the 1870s.

4. tom myers

tom myers Member

You are right, Dave. Kampfe Bros. started making the Star razor in 1875 according to a history published by ASR.

Boy, I sure have to watch my details while some folks are looking over my shoulder. :rolleyes:

Regards,
    Tom

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

hahahaha. i know the feeling.

:)

6. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info.