Starting my Son off Right!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jeraldgordon, Feb 9, 2014.

1. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Started my 15 year old son off right yesterday. Explained the science of lather and water, of stripping oils out of the whisker, and hydrating the beard. Talked about slip and cushion. Showed him how to lather a cream in a bowl. Then he had his first shave - using a simple pure badger Vulfix, C.O. Bigelow, and a nice gentle Gillette Tech.

He clearly enjoyed it, and was self consciously proud when his sisters sniffed and admired his aftershave (young guy scent - Adidas Deep Energy). And, he looks better too! I told him he actually looks older and more mature with that peach fuzz off his lip!

All in all, a good start! And I have endless razors for him to transition to as his beard matures.
    :happy069:

vwp528, Badger-Face, Ryan B and 7 others like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good for you and him! But watch out...he'll drive the girls wild.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Two things for the young man.

He will need to use the 30 day (maybe more in this case) rule to learn technique and discipline ... ;)

He will need to promise not to use AXE products ...:ban:

One more thing for you. Well done sir, well done! :happy096:

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Excellent! I wonder how many of us had our dads around to teach us how to shave? My dad gave me the tools, and showed me how he shaved. And I was off and shaving at 14. Bravo for passing down the tools and knowledge.

jeraldgordon and GDCarrington like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice! :happy088::happy088:

jeraldgordon likes this.
  6. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Too late I'm afraid - he has a couple of the less obnoxious AXE body sprays. He does know how to modulate his use though, and he thinks guys who reek of the stuff are pretty immature. Still, have I failed as a father? That is my fear! AXE! (The shame...!)

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Have you failed? Nah.
    Proverbs 22:6
    Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

The problem is we don't know just how old "old" is :happy102:

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: This day will stay with him for all of his life!! My father died when I was very young and so I never had anything like that with him to remember...:)

jeraldgordon and GDCarrington like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Oh, I got a lesson... "Push this button here and run it over your face." lol.

10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

That's great, Jerald! Be proud! :happy088:

I first let my son use my flare tip superspeed and when he went out to study I let him take his pick. Brush, razor, soap, cream. Anything. He took an Omega boar, a Valet Autostrop with Valet and Feather blades and a tube of De Vergulde Hand cream. I told him when he needs more he can always have a peek in the den. :)

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:happy096: To you!

Both of my son's were taught in the use of traditional wet shaving, and while my older son still does, my younger son uses a Mach 5 and canned goo as supplied by the USMC.

That is until he comes home on leave. :happy005:

12. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Using a twist on "my house, my rules" ?

My house, my products.. I like that

Dridecker and GDCarrington like this.
  13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I don't have any sons yet. Hopefully one day I will. They'll learn how to wet shave. I'll teach them the correct way and then they can either decide to stick with it, or conform.

My dad taught me a little bit, but it wasn't anywhere near as poetic as your story.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

My 13 year old son has a few axe products, but as we were leaving the house the other day I noticed a different odor and asked him what he had on. He told me that he had borrowed a little of my TOBS sandalwood. I knew the kid was smart like his old man. Lol

vwp528, swarden43, Omelmad and 2 others like this.
  15. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

That's a win =)