Starting out...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by NoahG, May 5, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

So I have a razor that needs honing and I need a strop and not sure what else. Any advice on who/where to go to get started in on Str8s?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Our own Glen gssixgun does fantastic work, as many on the board can attest to.

Also, I'm sure you have already, but if not, check this out.

Although I've never dealt with the guy, Larry at Whipdog get great reviews. I understand he has some pretty good start up stuff. Others can fill you in on him and how he is to deal with better than I.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Get the razor honed for sure! As for strops, I have only owned two so I am not much help for you there. The Illinois 827 that I got from my TSD Secret Santa is a great strop. I don't need another strop, but I have been eyeballing the Big Daddy Latigo Strop over at Star Shaving Supplies.

4. NoahG

NoahG Member

I went ahead and ordered another razor and a beginner strop from Larry over at Whipped Dog. I'll eventually get the Torrey honed, maybe after I have enough to get it prettified. In the mean time, I'll use it to practice at stropping, since it isn't sharp enough to do much damage(to the strop at least). Star Shaving does have some nice stuff at nice prices, but I'll wait until I've got some skills and am not gonna hack it up. It should be here sometime next week, so I can't wait! Hopefully this will keep me content for a while and I won't go on an acquiring spree for the single edges and injectors I don't have yet. :sad038 I doubt it though :D

5. Hogrider

Hogrider Member

Here is my advise FWIW. Get an inexpensive Ebay razor and have it honed by a honemeister, that way you have a reference on what truly shave ready means. Learn to shave with it and how to strop it. SRD Wiki offers awesome videos on how to shave and strop a straight razor. HOG

6. dmoney

dmoney New Member

New around here, but have lurked for some time at this, and some other wetshaving forums....I have never personally delt with Whipped Dog, I can say that I have never heard a bad word about him said....Get a cheap starter strop from him also, as nicking up an expensive on stinks....then buy an expensive on down the road once you are sure you want to continue.... Best of luck....

7. LRD_III

LRD_III Member

Larry is great for beginners. His strops are the best for starters because you will nick your new strop. His razors are also truly shave ready by any standard and is rates make what he does a good deed rather than a for profit business venture. As for honing, there are many members here who hone including myself and many will do it free to help you get started. Just be patient in the learning process and you will find it an enjoyable experience.