Starting the Journey Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by B Wade, Dec 29, 2017.

1. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Starting the journey with Straights tomorrow with a 11/16 Joseph Allen NON XLL that has been professionally honed. From there, with a bit of practice and advice I hope to frequent the straight razor shave of the day thread. Y’all have some incredible razors in there.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl G, alpla444, Arnout and 9 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Go slow
    Mind the angle
    Pay attention
    Go slow
    Little to no pressure
    Pay attention
    Go slow

Use you slickest soap or cream. Make it a bit slicker by adding just tad more water.
    Don't hesitate in the middle of a stroke. Don't stop and start with the blade still on your face. If you do hesitate or stop, take the blade away from your face and prepare for the next stroke.

Go slow
    Pay attention
    You'll do fine! We're here for ya and pullin' for ya!

Karl G, Keithmax, Paul76 and 6 others like this.
  3. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

That’s good advice on not hesitating in a stroke. Haven’t heard it put that way. Plan on easing in and finishing with the DE on day 1 unless everything just goes stellar.

Keithmax, Paul76, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Awesome, welcome to "The Dark Side".. :signs136:

Karl G, Keithmax, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Geez, and we really haven’t been heavily recruiting, and another joins the dark side:) Nice old Sheffield straight to boot!

Karl G, Keithmax, Paul76 and 5 others like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I'm scared....

Good luck!

Herm

Karl G, Paul76, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice razor. Take your time and just concentrate on simple WTG passes at first. No pressure and watch the angle. It look me a lot of shaves to get consistently good shaves. You can do it
    Have fun!

Karl G, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  8. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Just do your cheeks to start .Finish with a DE.It will take several weeks plus to develop muscle memory and learn the nuance of straight shaving .

Karl G, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Dark Side. I am relative new here myself. I have not come completely over, but I have devoted my Saturday shaves to straights. I have 14 now, and I use a different one every week. I really enjoy my straight shaves. I haven't cut or nicked myself in many months now.

I won a nice straight back in June of 2014. I gave it a go, but I was not ready for the commitment. I couldn't get the angle right and kept cutting myself. So, I piffed it along with my strop.
    [​IMG]

Then last January, @Drygulch sent me his loaner starter kit. It had a Cattaragus Straight, a Genco Straight, and a Drygulch 3 inch strop.
    [​IMG]
    I started using them, alternating between the straights. Then a friend of mine gave me an H. Böker 5/8 straight that I sent to @HolyRollah for a restoration and honing. He does great work. That is where my journey took off. So for almost a year, I have been shaving with straights on Saturday.

[​IMG]

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

@B Wade , be sure to let us know how the shave went and ask lots of questions. I successfully learned the art of straight razor shaves two years ago through this forum. We can help you through the learning curve, so ask lots of questions.

Keithmax, Billyfergie, Paul76 and 5 others like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Go slow, turn the water fan off , go until your feeling uncomfortable. No shame in finishing with a de. But know, it'll take a month or two to get proficient. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Keithmax, Billyfergie, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Very cool! SR is just tedious, it's not hard to master. You'll have a lot of fun! Good luck.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  13. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Go slow and dont rush for perfection. A nasty cut early in my straight shaving career left me scarred and scared :D

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  14. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Update. Didn’t die!

Raise your hand if you were positive the first time you picked up a straight you were going to cut your face open, hope thats not just me haha.

I did not cut myself, also not sure I cut any hair. Think my lather was too dry and the razor just felt weird in my hand. Ended up basically doing the whole shave with the DE but the process didn’t discourage me. I’ll be back at it next shave with at least the knowledge of what it felt like the first time.

[​IMG]

Paul76, DaltonGang, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I cut hair my first shave. I also put a nice 2” line in the side of my face:). I don’t know if you’ve seen this vid:

It was very helpful to me.

Marine68, Paul76, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  16. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

I did watch that video and I think that it gave me a good starting point. Now that I know what the razor feels like in my hand I think it will be more helpful watching it a second time.

Paul76, Jim99, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  17. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Gotta call that a win!!! Congrats on putting steel to face that first time. It is a scary but cool feeling.
    Tom.

Paul76, Keithmax, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Indeed!
    Way to go @B Wade !!

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Sounds like me start. The first shave you are nervous so there are small tremors in your hands. No blood so it is a success. I went in steps going a little further each shave and finishing with a DE. After a month I was able to do the whole shave with a straight.

It took me about 90 shaves before I became very consistent and almost automatic. Keep with you will find the progress is fast and the accomplishment is very rewarding.

20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I agree with Keith on the 90 shaves. You will become adequate well before that, but it seems like it takes about 90 shaves for it to become automatic and the shaves consistently bbs.