Store-brand Israeli Personna blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by feeltheburn, Jul 1, 2016.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You've probably seen them for the past year or so if you have a store near you that carries DE blades at all. I haven't noticed anyone review them though so if I missed that, I apologize. But I finally grabbed a pack of these so I could answer that nagging question. Are these things any good?

Here's the dispenser for the blades I'm talking about. If you see a dispenser in a blister pack with "Blades Made in Israel" on the back, I'm just guessing they're all the same blade regardless of what store's name is on the package.
    IMG_20160701_110812.jpg

For the last 5 days, I've been shaving with one of these blades in an Aristocrat (I think it's a 46-47) and the shaves have actually been very good. Before these blades I've been working my way through a 5-pack of every Moscow made blade I could find. These Israeli blades are sharper than all of those yet still very smooth and long lasting enough IMO. I found this pack for $1.59 at the BX, and I think that's a very reasonable price. They seem to be more everywhere else though and I'm not sure I'd pay much more considering you can buy blades that are just as good or better for less. But even though I was skeptical, I have to admit there's nothing really bad I can say about these.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Carbide Mike, Spud, RyX and 7 others like this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I keep hearing how good Israeli blades are, but i haven't tried them yet.

Carbide Mike and waffen like this.
  3. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

I got mine at CVS (Thriftys) California. They are pretty good, I bought a 120 box of Crystals Israeli (Amazon) for about $9.00 I think these blades maybe Crystal seconds. So if you like these blades invest in some Crystal blades very inexpensive. But please be careful don't fall into my sickness of digging a blade and then buying 100 or more.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

ShopRite carries 'em. I'll pick up a pack every now and then for a change of pace. Not bad or I wouldn't get 'em.

5. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

They are actually in my top 3 or so blades. Love them and they last a while too

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

They're quite serviceable. I've had good results with them, my local grocery store stocks them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  7. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Very solid blade.

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I tried a tuck just for fun. I thought they were pretty darn good blades. I like (stock/hoard) Personna Reds, and I guarantee I couldn't tell a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

These were the first DE blades I found locally. Available at Kroger & Dollar General. Aren't they Personna Red's?

Carbide Mike, waffen, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Yes. Same production line.

11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

They might be. The thing that throws me is that these say Stainless Steel on the package and don't mention any coatings. Reds are Platinum Chrome coated. So if these blades had the Platinum Chrome coating, you'd think they'd want to advertise that but they don't.

Carbide Mike, waffen and Spud like this.
  12. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

I bought a pack and they gave me the worst shave I've had. they pulled my hair instead of cutting it. I switched to the Persona Red Israeli blades and my shave was incredible. As with blades I've learned from the people here " YMMV " and this is dead on

13. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

They are quite likely the Israeli TOMO blade. Commonly sold around the world as store brands. No coating as far as I know.

They treat me well.

feeltheburn, Carbide Mike and waffen like this.
  14. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Very well said cigarlover a good blade for one man is a terrible one for another.

Carbide Mike and cigarlover like this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

When I went back to DE razors and traditional wet shaving back in September I started with the store-band (Shop-Rite, in my case) Israeli blades as they seemed to represent a good option for availability and price. I had no issues with them, but also no real expectations as it had been over three decades since I had last used a DE razor.

I started looking around to see what other options were available locally and found both the Vietnam-made dollar store blades (hated them) and the German-made Wilkinson Sword (really nice).

Soon after, I won my first PIF- two TryABlade "Top 10" samplers. I started to work through one, starting with the GSB and the two Astra varieties. About then, I won another PIF- this time for 50 Astra SP's and never looked back. Ironically, I never made it to the two Personna blades in the sampler- Red and Lab Blue. (Sounds like Pokemon...)

Of course, now that that you've brought this all up, I'm probably going to have to shave tomorrow with an Israeli store blade. :)

16. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Yes you will John and you will soon become mentally ill like myself

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. John Ruschmeyer

True, though there are a few *really* bad ones out there that we could all agree on. (I'm looking at you, Tiger-3H.)

18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, they are the typical supermarket blades (at least where you still find DE blades in the supermarkets) in Europe.

I like them, but not as much as the Personna Platinum Chrome blades.

19. Bama Samurai

cigarlover likes this.
  20. John Ruschmeyer

Yes, I did. And, without further adieu, the obligatory SOTD:

July 3, 2016

Razor: Aristocrat Adjustable (5)
    Blade: Israeli store brand (1)
    Brush: VdH Boar
    Soap: Cella

Over in another thread, we've been talking about the Israeli-made store-brand blades. Since I hadn't used one in several months, I figured today was as good as time as any to try them again. I started back in September with these blades, but this is the first time I've tried them with a Slim as i had moved on to the Astra SP by the time I got my first Slim.

The shave seemed to start a little rough, but I'm inclined to attribute that to the two days beard growth I was working on. I did my usual 1.5 pass shave and ended up with a very close DFS. The face feel was somewhat interesting in that it reminded me more of what I'd expect from my Schick J1.

I think I can see why these particular blades are a YMMV situation- they seem to have slightly different properties from a lot of other blades. I'm inclined to wonder if they aren't a little bit thicker than, say, an Astra or GSB as this would tend to explain the almost SE-like performance.

I'm definitely staying with this blade for a few more shaves as I'm curious to see the performance over time.

RyX and whiteboy_cannon like this.