"straight" amazed!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by ocharlas, Sep 7, 2011.

1. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

It's been 3 4 days since I decided to take another stab at straight razor shaving after an 8 month dry spell, ignoring the fact that I still don't actually have an actual proper and shave ready razor. I do, however, have my Personna Magic Razor, which is the same basic concept except it uses a DE blade that you cut in half. My previous (mis)adventures with this gadget had me decided that I wouldn't try again until I had a proper straight, but since I do have one on order and do technically own it well...no sense in arguing semantics. There's technique to be learned!

Having previously only used the Personna blades that came with the Magic Razor I opted instead for a blade that works for me in regular DE razors, the Voskhod. Either my techniques somehow improved without practice, or the blade made a massive difference. I'll opt for both.

Fast forward 3 4 shaves: I just looked in the mirror (it's midgnight, and 14 hours since this morning's shave), and my neck is just now starting to look like what it normally looks like right after I shave with a DE. My cheeks I always have been able to get a decent BBS, but on my neck I always had to settle for a low-grade DFS at best (but between you and me usually a mediocre SAS). This was the closest I've ever gotten to a true BBS shave all around, with very minimal DE cleanup. Ok so the neck was still DFS, but it was an actual quality DFS, miles better than what I've been getting with my Progress even. I'm not going to say that I'm not looking forward to a real straight razor, but this Shavette has me legitimately surprised. I'm very pleased that I was able to get this caliber of shave from it, and I hope it translates well for when I have the real thing in my hand.

battle.munky likes this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The first time I used a shavette I also used a Voskhod and it worked very well. I should pick my straights up again, I have so many just sitting in a roll doing nothing.

3. ocharlas

Well let me know if you don't I'd be more than happy to help you out with that "problem" of yours

4. basil

basil Well-Known Member

i agree straight razors are by far my favorite.

Ive used a de a few times and it just doesnt cut it for me

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I kinda fell out of love with my str8s.....and am afraid to try a shavette. The shaves weren't bad but I want to learn to hone and never got around to getting hones. I was even thinking about selling my str8s. I'm so very pleased with my DE shaves I don't feel like str8 shaving lately.

6. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

I love shaving with straights. It took some getting used to, but to me, there is something therapeutic about it.

+1. It doesn't really "cut" it for me either. I understand that straights aren't the most time efficient, so to me, shaving with straights makes me slow down and relax, because if you're in a big hurry, you will carve your face up.

7. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

I have looked at your straights, and they look nice. If you ever want to sell them, PM me.

battle.munky likes this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'll keep you in mind and get you some pics before any kind of commitment.

9. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

Sounds good.

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

The difference to me between a shavette and a traditional straight is the TS shave can be smoother and more comfortable than a shavette shave. The problem is with the TS you have to understand what a good edge feels and looks like and how do you keep it there or get it back there, that for many of us is a big challenge. One of the most memorable shaves I have ever had was with a TS , one of those smooth shaves that make you feel elated , never was able to reproduce that one but it was grand.

11. ocharlas

I'm glad to hear you say that - you pretty much echoed what my hopes for the Traditional Straight were. The shavette is a useful learning tool and can get fantastic results, but the shave itself is very spartan. Even at when it's at its smoothest with a fresh blade there's still always a little bit of scrape. And without really knowing but just looking at pictures, I can tell that a real straight razor with a good edge would be like butter in comparison. I'm sure it has to do with the mass and solidity of the blade compared to the shavette's comparably feather weight.

I am a little worried about being able to keep a good edge on the blade when I finally do get it (supposedly I do have one coming in the mail - shipper must have used pony express). I'm going to be terrified of screwing it up for a long time, but hopefully I'll be able to keep it sharp. I have about 5 vintage not at all shave ready straights that I've been stropping, so maybe by the time the razor comes I'll be ok at it.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I think some guys use barber hones to keep there edge sharp. What I found worked for me was Chromium Oxide . Its a green chalk like substance that you rub on a chro ox specific strop or balsa and you strop your razor over it , it sharpens, then you strop normally on your leather strop to smooth out , refine? the edge , this really seemed to refresh the edge and kick the razors ability to cut beard again up a notch. There was a fellow on ebay and elsewhere selling Chro Ox and balsa sets for a song. I bought my chro ox from Straight Razor Place, $15 and bought a cheap NOS Dovo strop on ebay .

13. Hogrider

Hogrider Member

Honing a straight is a motor skill that needs to be learned and perfected with repetition. If I were starting to hone I would invest on a Norton 4K and 8K grit combo; wallet permitting my second option would be a 5K,8K and 12K Naniwa SS and a DMT 8c for lapping the hones. As stated above, the CrOx will get you as far as refreshing the blade; but the time will come when it will be needing a good honing. HOG