Straight razor bent

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by JPJ, Aug 30, 2014.

1. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

Goodmorning.

So the most recent restore I did came out great but after honing and shaving I have a problem ...

The razor is bent (the top inch) bent to the right when looking at the spine ... So will not hone correctly .... It is only a minor bend but makes a big difference .. Damn ebay ... Anyhow

What's the fix?

Thanks image.jpg

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This is what I have done in a similar situation—and I am not saying this is THE preferred nor recommended solution to your dilemma (I'll let someone who has more experience give more tried & true counsel— @gssixgun )
    I had a blade that arched to the left in the similar place your razor does. I fastened the end securely in a padded bench vise, and carefully & gently applied repeated pressure to the exposed half until I brought the entire spine into correct alignment. Sort of amateur razor chiropractics….;) It solved the problem.

gssixgun likes this.
  3. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

image.jpg Sounds like a good idea... Definitely worth a shot... Can't shave with it the way it is... Wouldn't even feel right selling it in ebay (though I got it there)... I'll give it a try in the morning ... Coffee, cigar , vice , razor sounds like breakfest project.

(Off topic)
    I got a pretty nice joeseph Allan and sons in the mail just the day... Plan on buffing it up tomorrow too... I'll post some picks but this is a pre preview :) - it's the heavyeat razor I've felt to date ... Looks much better then the pic shows

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The Bench Vise might very well work, especially on the older Sheffield razors..

Keep in mind that it can also snap like a dry twig so "PROCEED with CAUTION"

This is the next step in the process after try just a vise.. I myself use Brass Rods for doing this as they are softer than Steel and I feel that gives a slightly safer adjustment.
    The next step is to use Heat Sinks / Heat Paste and to use a torch on the spine, tang or tail (the part that needs bending)

Just approach this slowly and with the understanding that the razor can be lost..

[​IMG]

HolyRollah likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not something I was entirely comfortable doing, by the way, but fortunately it worked out okay. It was a useless razor of questionable value in its current form , so I thought nothing of giving the razor the Vise treatment. Thanks for posting this, Glen, I'll make note of your process shown above should I come across a similar issue with a razor that I wish to preserve and treat with greater care. :happy088:

6. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

I did it and it looked like it worked... Tried honing and the blade is also warped ... Removed the scales for later use .... This one is a gonner.... Ebay risk realized ... :)

7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

:( :(