Straight Razor Cost: 1892 vs Today

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Aug 5, 2017.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

We've probably all seen on eBay up for auction these old pages taken from department or hardware store catalogs depicting a variety of razors and shaving gear from years past.

I found this one particular page very intriguing—taken from the "CATALOGUE OF THE NATIONAL MERCHANDISE SUPPLY COMPANY 1892"—a purveyor of a broad assortment of merchandise which also offered discounts for membership—sort of a Victorian-era Costco. :D

The razors being offered on this page were all by reputable makers that are in high-demand by wet-shavers today. On this single page are listed the following razors, the retail price and the special 'member price.'
    I've also included what these prices equate to in today's (2017) dollars.

Joseph Rodgers & Sons razor 6/8" hollow-ground in black horn; Retail price: $2.00 Member price: $1.30
    (adjusted for inflation in today's dollars: Reg $52.00/ Mem $33.66)

DePew Patent Balance Handle razor 5/8 or 6/8" 'monkey-tail' with black horn scales; Retail price: $2.25 Member price: $1.40 (adjusted for inflation in today's dollars: Reg $58.25/ Mem $36.24)

George Wostenholm & Son's IXL 'Pipe' razor 5/8" black horn scales; Retail price: $1.80 Member price: $1.15 (adjusted for inflation in today's dollars: Reg $46.00/ Mem $29.77)

Wade & Butcher 'Hollow Ground' razor 7/8" hollow point (barber's notch in today's jargon) black horn scales; Retail price: $1.50 Member price: $0.95 (adjusted for inflation in today's dollars: Reg $38.83/ Mem $24.59)

What struck me about the asking prices wasnt so much how affordable they seem by today's standards, but two things: First, they were all reasonably affordable compared to today's standards (new quality straight razors today generally start closer to $100 and up). These were priced in 1892 from $33 to $25 each by today's dollar value. Secondly, the cheapest model offered here was the largest—the Wade & Butcher— a mere .95¢ in 1892.

So at today's adjusted membership prices, you'd pay $124.26 for all four razors! ($4.80 in 1892).
    On eBay, by the way, should you happen across all four of these razors with each in pristine condition (NOS), I venture the lot would easily sell for well over $1000.

[​IMG]

Kaladin, RezDog, Keithmax and 11 others like this.
  2. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

How did adjust for inflation so far back ? I've found online inflation calculators, but none go farther than the early 1900s.

Billyfergie, Spyder and Karl G like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

What a fun post. Not surprising at all that these have appreciated over time. I agree it is interesting that the W&B was the least expensive.

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

This is interesting. I would have thought these razors would have cost more back then.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You can input 2017 to get an up to date numerical values.
    http://www.in2013dollars.com/1890-dollars-in-2017

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Karl G, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  6. Talneharus

Talneharus Well-Known Member

Man I would jump in on straight razors if they were only $30-$50 but at starting price of $100 I gotta wait a while.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You can find nice shave-ready razors on the used market for far less than $100.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  8. Talneharus

Hmm looks like I've been looking at the wrong places then hehe. Course I still have to get the Mrs. onboard too but that just gives me time to look!

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

A problem with going so far back is that income differences were much larger than nowadays (at least here). Poor factory workers or peasants were much poorer than their current equivalents. So while the average buying power might have been X, there was a large class of people who even didn't have a proper house (like my great-grandmother, who grew up in a simple turf hut!).

10. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

This is great information Kevin. This give me new energy to keep working on my time travel machine. I have some parts on back order...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I found something interesting online. Hey, if it's online, then it must be true. Anyway, it says that in 1890, the average daily wage for a mason was USD$3.57 a day, and a common laborer was USD$1.56 a day.

Any one of those razors could have amounted to close to a day's pay back then.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

No doubt the rise of the middle class in the past 100-120 years has changed the definition and expectations in earning power.

The California minimum wage is $10.50/hr currently. An eight-hour workday would earn $84.00, before taxes...almost enough to get this basic new Boker.
    Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 6.19.35 AM.png

Spyder, Zykris, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Very good point Kevin.

15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Back in the Late 1800s SRs were Being Mass Produced World Wide..They were the Tool of the Day..There is a Limited Market these Days..Also the Cheap & Almost Slave Labour & Up to 18 Hr Working Days Especially in the UK Kept the Prices Well Down..:eek:

Billy..:chores016:

Eeyore, Zykris, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  16. Talneharus

Still want to give these a go one day. The wife thinks I'm going to tear my face off with one though. Ah well a little while of prying and I might get my way! XD

Zykris, Karl G, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  17. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I knew we were getting shafted on the prices of razors!

18. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Another way to look at it is that an ounce of gold back then was about $21. Today it is about $1250. So, a quality new razor then cost about a tenth of an ounce of gold. About a tenth of an ounce of gold today will still get you a quality new razor. :happy088:

19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    All this Talk of Gold Fever..My All Time Favourite Bogart Movie..:shocked003:

Billy..:chores016:

Spyder and Jim99 like this.