Straight Razor Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bronco, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I assume many of you know this list of vintage straight razor manufactuers but since I'm a "noob" with the straight razor and a quick search didn't turn it up, I'm posting it. :D

List Here

lindyhopper66 and oscar11 like this.
  2. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Can you make this sticky for quick reference?

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Do you have URLs for any of them? I might be interested in a W&B.

:D

4. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I believe this to be a list of vintage makers. Don't know if any still operate.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Umm, I was joking Steven...:o

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

That's Jeff thank you! :D

7. Dog Man

Dog Man New Member

This list is outstanding! It will become a part of my resource material.

Thanks again,

Bill

8. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Thought it's not complete (Jernbolaget, C.V. Heljestrand, Klas Törnblom, E.A. Berg are just some obvious ones missing ;) :p) it's a good reference!

Thanks!

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

It is British, American and German heavy, just 'cause that'll cover a LOT of what's out there. But it is a GREAT resource.

10. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

Thanks for the list has now been saved to my ever increasing folder on the hard drive

11. ryrelav

ryrelav New Member

Good!!!:happy096:happy096

12. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Excellent! Thanks for posting this!

13. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Heh...some of us use it as a shopping list. :D

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I am still rather new to straights so I had no idea.

15. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

some more names

Nice one Bronco!

here's another useful list with photos http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Category:Straight_Razor_Database

And for your amusement, some known brand names (without dates or locations, etc). Please pardon the links, most of them only take you to a form on the SRP wiki from which to enter mfr info to start a new article

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Great information from lee but here is another piece of information a new straight razor user like myself needs to know. What is the fair market value of a straight razor from various makers. Would you please lee take your list and sort the makers based on what a fair price for a straight from each of the makers is. For example there might be a group $100 - $150 and another group $150 - $200 with various makers under each catagory. I think that this result would prove very helpful to new users like myself.

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :happy097 Sure Lee will do that. He has plenty of time now that he is taking a break from the arcade.

Right, Lee?

JB, a lot of those manufacturers no longer are in operation. Which makes their razors vintage, which makes the values of the various razors from ONE manufacturer worth various amounts based on condition, rarity, etc.

Too many variables to do what you're asking.

18. JimR

JimR Active Member

Holy crap, JB, that's a tall order...are you willing to pay for that? Not to mention that value is purely market driven, i.e. not at all stable. I have one book from 1997 or so that lists the base value of a collector grade Genco at $12....which makes me almost cry.

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Those lists are quite impressive!

I agree with the Queen, there are WAY too many variables to ranking them in any order. How do you compare vintage razors from different areas, different times, etc...?

Perceived value is based on the market, the buyer, seller, and the condition, and change continually. In one circumstance brand A may be worth 10X brand B. Take another pair of straights on a different day, different place, and brand B is worth 10X more than brand A.

20. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

You can't sort brands by value. Imagine trying to line up every Ford ever made and putting them all into a price range - you'd have $100 to $1,000,000 depending on thousands of variables; brand is usually only a very small part of a razor's value

Now, there are a few brands that only appeared on razors for a short period of time (eg. 1875-1877), so you could possibly assign a base value to such a brand, making allowance for condition, attractiveness of design, and practical considerations as multipliers. But many brands like Wostenholm and Wade & Butcher produced razors of all kinds for over a hundred years - even if you had a lot from every year of one particular such brand all in the same condition, and the market was absolutely stable and predictive, the dollar values would have a wide range. But as more and more people are buying, selling, and collecting straight razors, the market is in more and more fluctuation. No thanks to eBay :) Even antique shops do their homework on eBay and then go adjust the price tags in their displays. And oftentimes (especially since so many older straights were hand-made) a razor may appear to be unique and there really is no good estimate of value at all. To me one might be worth $10 and to you $500 or vice versa

Lee's market opinion: Having said all that there are two brands that always seem to sell on eBay for some sort of premium: Case (as long as the scales aren't broken) and Dubl Duck (as long as the blade isn't broken). A current fad are the big Wade & Butcher Barber's Use razors which are selling for two to ten times that of most other brands in comparable condition