Straights and more

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Scorpio, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I have been using straights for a few months now. I have progressed to the point that I am honing my own razors and getting comfortable shaves. I will try to offer any advise from the little knowledge I have gathered and will try to direct others to places were information can be obtained.

I would like everyone to participate in this forum as straights have a traditional and mystical air about them. Besides Real men shave with one blade:D

Did I mentioned I really like taking part in this endeavor from the begining and would like to thank all you for allowing me to be here from the inception. I have a good feeling about this!!!!

Raf

2. Baron

Baron New Member

I've always wanted to try a straight, I just haven't been able to pick one out that I can afford. I need to buy one that's actually ready to shave so I can learn to hone later.

Thanks for starting something in the straight section!

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I am working on something that will allow folks to be able to try a straight at an affordable price. But this is all in the planning stages right now. If you like I can let you try one of mine for a couple of weeks. If you like them you can get one cheap on ebay and it will hone it for you. I will help you chose a decent one from ebay. I usually dont pay more than 20-30 for one that I want that I know I can still get a couple of decades worth of good shaves.

Raf

4. Baron

Baron New Member

Wow, that would be awesome!

I can't count how many good straights I could have had by now... My father's an antique dealer an I grew up with it and can remember having tons of them around

5. Will

Will Nevermind

Sounds like a great idea

I do wanna try a Str8 but still a little put off on it the stropping the honing and learning how to do it.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

trust me guys it is not that hard. once you make the decision all you need is a couple of straights and a strop. This setup will last you at least 5-6 months without having to hone your razor. Proper care of the razor and having a few ensures that the edge will last longer and stay sharp. It is not as dangerous and difficult as some make it out to be. Don't get me wrong there is a learning curve but if youtake it slow you will get the closest shaves.

Raf

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I have just recently "discovered" straights.. I got a starter-set from Tony Miller (www.thewellshavedgentleman.com) and its smashing !! :)

Ive gotten to the point where I can get what I refer to as a "proper" shave.. No BBS but pretty decent..

And it IS GREAT FUN!!!

8. Baron

Baron New Member

Yeah there's no way it can be as dangerous as it's made out to be if you pay attention... I remember trying it when I was working the antique shop... well a little bit anyway... And I was pretty young and inexperienced

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I'm on the verge of trying a straight. At TOP, a certain JF had mentioned about getting some straights together for folks to try, and a few of us expressed real interest, and then that was the last I heard about it. :confused:

I will get one someday soon, but until then I'll keep reading and learning all I can.

10. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Do you know someone that does honing?

11. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

are you asking me?

I have been honing my ebay razors with good results. I can shave comfortably with my razors. I must say that my honing skill are still developing and by no way should be considered close to those of honemeisters. Most of these folks have been honing for years. Even though I can get razors to shave smooth and comfortably I consider myself a novice. I consider Joe Chandler and Lynn Abrams the cream of the crop.

Raf

12. Frankenface

Frankenface New Member

Honing is the toughest part of the straight razor experience. If you start out new, you will have a fairly easy go of it. If, like me, you end up with a lot of Ebay specials, your work will be cut out for you. There are many different types of hones and even more opinions on proper use and lapping (flattening the stone). After some time, you can typically end up with a good, shave-ready blade. Then we move on to stropping which can quickly ruin a shave-ready blade if done improperly.
    All in all, the shave left from straight razor is second to none. I can get pretty close with a DE, but that shave seems to only last for a few hours whereas a straight shave seems to last all day.
    Good Luck,
    Fred

13. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I recently took up the straight and have been enjoying it. It's definately not as hard and having Scorpio nearby to be my straight razor mentor helps quite a bit as well :cool:

14. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

The trick is to shave at a comfortable pace, and respect the straight razor but don't fear it.

brit likes this.
  15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a grump, but why are you resurrecting a thread from 2007?!?!

Happened a few times over the last week.

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

some archived threads are fun to read and sometimes relevant to current mindframes and discussions .lots of lost info as some folks move on..just my 2 pence..

17. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I agree there are some good ones where imparted wisdom is relevant to newbies. No harm in reading them. But this isn't one of those threads.

My guess would be it was returned as a result from a search and there's now a reply in 2019 to a member that hasn't been active since about 2010.

brit likes this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I like it when this old threads are resurrected. Just because their old doesn’t mean they are not worthy. Kind of like razors.

19. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

No again, i agree, some are great to read if they contain videos and info on using and sharpening razors. Our buying razors. Or making razors. Lots of things really.

This one was not interesting.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    brit likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i agree sir, some should stay archived..i am always looking for vintage gillette info,call it obsessed, but so much has been lost ,hidden or forgotten,probably more so with straights..if one person finds something or it answers a question it was worth it..,if not it will find its way home..just saying this because i have opened some old threads lately, but not for straights.obviously i wouldn t answer or ask the original poster if he has moved on ..gold is in them hills..

Keithmax likes this.