Stroopjenever (treacle gin or molasses gin)

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by macaronus, Nov 12, 2014.

1. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Stroopjenever (Treacle Gin) used to be the Zeeland's New Year's drink (often accompanied by thin sugar wafers).

Ingredients:
    • 25 gram / 0.88 oz of cinnamon sticks
    • 1 liter of gin
    • officially 500 gram / 17.63 oz of black treacle (British name) or black molasses (US name)
      (I usually use half of that - about 9 oz - else the result is too sweet for my taste)

As for the gin I've found two which seem to come close to the Corenwijn (grain wine) which I always use. It doesn't taste as sharp as oude jenever (old gin).

• bathtub Old Tom gin by Professor Cornelius Ampleforth Branded sprits
      Old Tom 1.jpg

• Ransom Old Tom Gin
      ransomoldtom.jpg
    Corenwijn / grain wine has about the same production method (pot still) and about the same color.

As for the black treacle/molasses I use 'De Zeeuwse Boerin' (The Zeeland Farmer's Wife), but any black treacle/molasses will do, I guess.
    stroopbeker.gif

Preparation:
    • Break the cinnamon sticks into pieces and put them in a small kooking pot.
    • Add just enough gin to cover the cinnamon. Put a lid on the pan and steep on a low heat for 30 minutes.
    • Take the pan from the heat and add the rest of the gin. Leave it for a night with closed lid.
    • Next day warm the treacle in a bain-marie until it is liquid. (large pot with cooking water with a smaller pot hanging in the steam)
    • Strain the gin through a sieve and add the gin to the treacle. Discard the cinnamon (or use for something else?)
    • Stir until the treacle and gin have mixed thoroughly.
    • Let the drink cool down.
    • Clean two bottles with boiling water and sodium carbonate and rinse well with boiling 'normal' water.
    • Pour the cooled Treacle Gin in the bottles and store in a cool and dark spot for at least four weeks.
    Enjoy the Treacle Gin at room temperature in shot glasses (not only on New Year's Day...).

Enjoy!

Richard (Richgem) suggested to add a dab of chili pepper. Might be a good idea!

The Minions like it as well!
    family gathering.jpg

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Cool! Old traditions live on!

macaronus likes this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

No, room temperature. Not cooled! :p

Bristle Me and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

A half kg of treacle would seem to be a lot...not a low cal drink for sure. Thanks for sharing your tradition with us!

macaronus likes this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

results in about 4 weeks.

macaronus likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When you are done with those cinnamon sticks, what ever you do, don't let them drive!

7. richgem

* hic * I'd never let that happen.

macaronus likes this.
  8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

But I drive cinnamon stick...

Bristle Me and richgem like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

OK, but don't let it go to cruise control! :)

macaronus likes this.
  10. richgem

Well... it's done and it's yummy! I went with 9 oz of standard (American) molasses. Light molasses might be worth trying next year or less ounce-age. Even at 9 oz, it's a bit sweet for my taste. I'd also use a bit more cinnamon for next year.

And for the bonus round, a dose or two of your favorite hot sauce or chili oil (I used 2 squirts of Siracha) makes for a nice kick for the finish (and it helps cut the sweetness).

Also, I used regular gin as I couldn't get the old Dutch kind. New Amsterdam was what I used as it seemed appropriate. Sadly, it's not made in NYC (the former New Amsterdam).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    Mr. Shaverman and macaronus like this.
  11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:happy096: :eatdrink047:

richgem likes this.
  12. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

This looks like a plan for 2015:eatdrink047:

macaronus likes this.