Strop advice for newbie..

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by djwurm, May 26, 2009.

1. djwurm

djwurm New Member

I want to purchase a strop from The Well Shaved Gentleman /Heirloom Shop but I am clueless on what I need.

This would be a my first strop ever and dont want to spend an arm and a leg for one..

Do I just order a beginner stop since I am probably going to ruin it?

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

As far as "need" goes, any strop that Tony Miller sells will be all anyone ever needs. Seriously. That's not the problem. If you have a budget, look for a strop that fits your budget....

As a beginner, it is entirely possible that you could damage your strop. With care, that can be avoided--I have put a couple of "lines" (not really nicks) on my only strop, but nothing even approaching ruination. So, that's entirely up to your confidence in your own caution...and, doesn't Tony have a very cheap "beginner's strop" option that you can add when you buy from him? Think about that..

Also, Don't forget that the TSD shop here also sells a very reasonably priced strop that should be plenty good.

3. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Going to pay attention here as I am a newbie with straight shaving.

4. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

I would recommend the cotton and latigo with the $7.50 practice strop included, and use only the cotton and the practice strop for at least the first month, his practice strops are made out of the same latigo leather just some have a slight imperfection (but I sure can't see or find any imperfection in the practice strops I have gotten from him). If you nick the practice strop it won't be too bad versus nicking the main strop and for some reason no ever nicks the cotton material.

Tony's strops don't need to be treated are ready to use as is just occasionally wipe your hands on the leather and the oil from your hands will be enough.

I prefer the 3" wide strops myself as I don't have to do an x pattern on them unless I want to. the draw on the TM's cotton I would say is medium and the draw on the latigo is relatively high, when using the cotton and latigo I would typically do at least 25-30 on the cotton and about 50 on the latigo with very good results.

There are quite a few other vendors of strops including Dovo, Illinois, SRD, Proforma and a few others some are cheaper and will work but if you read around the forums TM strops are generally regarded as the best and as I own a couple of his and one of the others I agree, of course ymmv :D

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I was just on the site and came across this one. He doesn't have the one I bought up there.

http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/product.sc?categoryId=1&productId=192

I have the Apprentice strop that this is based on. I'd highly recommend mine, and any TM product, so you really can't go wrong. I don't have any linen/canvas attachments and haven't run into any issues so far. Bear in mind, I've only been straight shaving for about 2 months now. I'd also recommend getting the practice strop with whatever you buy - that way you can damage that one while you're learning to strop without sacrificing your brand new beautiful strop. Believe me - it's well worth the extra <$10....

You can also send him an email to see if he's going to be bringing back the Apprentice, although IIRC it was a little more expensive, too...

EDIT: took the kid out to the bus while typing my response and Crankymoose hadn't responded yet...... yeah, what he said. :happy088

6. djwurm

djwurm New Member

thanks guys for the replies..

I am not really looking to spend 70+ dollars on a strop for at least a few months. then it will be my birthday and I can get one as a gift!

I really just want one to start practicing on and if I accidently nick it or completely ruin it then it wont be a big deal.

the Barbers Friend strop at 38.95 isnt bad but the proforma strop on the shave dens store is pretty good at 28 dollars!

7. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

for $28 the proforma looks like a winner, I have heard of a few that have them and are satisfied, the only other cheaper option is a $20 filly strop at ruprazor.com which also gets good reviews

8. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Great advice! I also strongly urge the use of the practice strop as suggested here. It's a quality strop all to itself and though it might have some discoloration to it, there is nothing that would hinder its solid performance. Use it for a month or so until you get comfortable with stropping, then use the latigo.

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I would really recommend the Barbers Friend Strop from Tony Miller

10. djwurm

djwurm New Member

wooohoooo!!!

A fellow member just gave me a great deal on a almost mint TM 2" Latigo/Smooth Cotton and a 2" TM Practice Strop!

Cant wait to hang it on my shave den wall!!!!

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I don't see this option on the website. Is this something he no longer has, something you have to ask specifically about, or am I just not seeing the option to add the practice strop?

12. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

assuming the main strop is available as Tony frequently updates and changes his selection choose either a 2 1/2" or a 3" heirloom strop then the first option on that page will be asking you to choose a practice strop or not

13. kernel

kernel New Member

No matter what you buy, it's still gonna be your technique that will make or break. Before going crazy on the strop, practice your technique using things that are completely harmless. Use an old belt and a butter knife to get used to that wrist roll. My first stropping I did it just like I thought it looked like in the movies, and totally rolled the edge! I had no idea they turned on the spine! When I finally did it right it felt very strange and I was very slow. And I'm still using a strop on a board.