Strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by bscarpenter, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:signs011:...Och Aye the Noo..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

Spyder, Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have a Illinois 827 its a good strop for the money, but I have since bought a Straight Razor designs 3" Latigo Leather strop, which is just great and very well made

Spyder, DaltonGang, gssixgun and 2 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Illinois 827 ~$30, Straight Razor Designs 3" Latigo $65. Beginner vs intermediate. I would be more upset taking a slice out of a $65 strop, when learning than a $30 strop.
    That SRD strop sure looks nice. I might upgrade in the future.

Karl G, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

For me the upgrade was NOT planned, a friend had the SRD handles and the nylon webbing strop and gifted that to me, saying all I need to do is buy the leather piece, so thats how I ended up with it.

Thats what should of added, I had the 827 for a few years NO NICS (I did learn on a Dovo strop off ebay for £15, I did put a couple of small nics in it, but as it was cheap no big deal)

Only just upgraded to the SRD latigo, there is better leather option on the SRD strop but I like a slower draw for some reason, I also have a Shell Horse hide, Hand finished strop, vintage gifted to me thats nice condition but very smooth and a quick draw.

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  5. DaltonGang

They are nice looking. What's the difference between the 827 and the. SRD strops, as far as feel of the edge after, and pull on the razor while stropping?

Spyder, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

The SRD is still a slow draw, but not as slow as my 827, also feels smoother and the leather is thicker and heavier, feels very solid and stable and to me is feels like more feedback/feeling when stropping which I like.

$65 is not a lot for what you get imho (if you are using a straight a fair bit of the time and are proficient at stropping) its quite a bargain especially as you can change the components as and when you like or even upgrade to a different leather etc.....

Spyder, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Excellent points, and I will look into getting one in the new year.