Stuck in a rut...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Sabre, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Okay, well I feel I am stuck in a rut. In life and in shaving, I use the products, same razors, same carts. I did try a new injector blade and used the injector last shave. 8 or 9 years ago I would use a different cream or soap for up to 60 days in a row, mixed up the hardware too. Now, I only occasionally change my after shave.

Life appears the same, same food at the grocery store, same recipes, same restaurants, same take outs...
    I shower at the same time, I am fed up with my home - the same four walls. I buy the same clothes. I bought a new bed, and mattress. I bought new duvet, sheets, and bedding. it felt new and different for a while. Now I am back to routine again.

Where has the adventure gone? :( ...

2. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

As someone who has recently had more changes than I want I would say
    [​IMG]

John Beeman, IDuck, ob1page and 12 others like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Never let the things you WANT
    Make you forget the things you HAVE!

John Beeman, IDuck, ob1page and 9 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Sounds like a midlife crisis coming on.
    Time to buy a sports car. :)

ARGH, John Beeman, ob1page and 5 others like this.
  5. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I don't drive :( ...

Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Kerry, your famous quote there reminds me of the advice of considering that the grass may not always be greener on the other side of the fence.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine calls a rut a grave with the ends kicked out. Before you can find a way to get out; you're going to have to find out what is keeping you in. Get out of your comfort zone and try something new. I hope you'll get out of your rut and into a groove:)

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sounds like you need to visit a homeless shelter or a pediatric cancer ward.

9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have visited a cancer centre far too often having had colorectal cancer. But I would imagine a pediatric ward would be overwhelming emotionally....

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    PM sent.

11. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

I dont know if you have the free time, but has there ever been a skill you wanted to aquire? Might be fun to take a class in something that interests you. If i had the time i think it be a fun hobby and side $ to go to barber school. Also id love to learn more about automobile or home repair

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think we all go through phases like this and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. It's life.
    A couple of years I was in a similar 'rut' feeling like you described where days started to blend together and become carbon copies of themselves.

One approach, and the one that I took, is to think back at the last time in your life when you didn't feel like you were in a rut and what you were doing that you truly enjoyed.
    To me it was photography. I bought myself a new camera and set about learning it (which in itself was really fun) and then started carrying it with me.
    It's interesting how much you 'see' when you try to. A camera is obviously not necessary to do so..but it can be a vehicle to change.

You can also create personal projects.
    Some examples:
    * Try a different razor/handle every shave and keep track of how much you liked it in a s/sheet so that months (years..) from now you know what five razors you NEED to keep ;)
    * Have one new experience every week. You can pre-plan, look through the paper/online. Find book readings, small music performances, etc. Be exposed to something different.
    * ...or..set up a home page and share the immense wealth of razors and knowledge that you have about them :)

ob1page, Robyflexx, Jayaruh and 3 others like this.
  13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

A few years ago I took Violin making classes, I part made one of the wonkiest Violins bodies ever :) ...

IDuck, Jayaruh, BigCabDaddy and 2 others like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

...and how did it sound? Did you complete the project?
    I built a balalaika from a kit. Think Russian banjo. Fun project, but my fingers are too fat to play.

Jayaruh and BigCabDaddy like this.
  15. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Still cool to say you made it

16. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello Sabre, you said you don't drive, well that could be your greatest challenge/adventure yet! If not a car, then what about a motorbike? Or a motor scooter. I have ridden one sort or another of motorbikes off and on all my life. Well, two years ago an injury to my back caught up to me. I could not ride my beloved Harley anymore. And for the past two years I just let my health go. Fast forward to today. I currently have COPD/Enphesema, diabetes, heart disease, PTSD, sciatica, and an untreatable compression fracture in my spine, but my great adventure is relearning how to ride/drive a motor scooter. Even with all those odds against me, I am riding again. It takes a lot more preparation than it used to, but I'm riding again. Not a Harley, but a bike nonetheless. What I'm trying to tell you is there can be an adventure around every corner if you want one to be there. Just stop and smell the roses, no matter what your situation is. Jump outside of your comfort zone man, the word awaits. Good Luck, and Godspeed.

ob1page, Robyflexx, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I never finished it :(

18. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Alan, this is a challenge I have put off. I too have diabetes, I frequently still get blurred vision even with my Metformin slow release. Maybe I am using that as an excuse...

I hope you are looking after yourself.

19. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello there, I have to take that Metformin too. Sometimes my eyes get blurry too. I didn't know it could be related to the diabetes. Thanks for that input. I'll have to pay attention to my vision more. I have mild dizziness sometimes too. I feared it might be related same. Well, even if it turns out I can't ride much or far, there are many other things I can persue. Riding is only a small part of my world anyway, since I am frequently unable to ride. But riding motorcycles all these years did teach me something. Life, like motor biking , is not about the destination, it's all about the ride. The journey. I hope you can begin to enjoy your journey, Sabre. God Bless, and Godspeed to your next adventure.

20. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Travel.
    Get out of the country for a couple of weeks. Nothing freshens your perspectives like a trip abroad.

Now, every trip needs a purpose. How about a shaving trip? You could plan to visit shaving product manufacturers, and barbers, and antiques dealers. I bet blade manufactures don't get a lot if tourists, but if would called them or wrote them a letter I bet you could swing a private tour. A car connoisseur friend of mine was in Italy and managed to get a private tour of the Lamborghini estate and museum. Please remember to chronicle you adventures here on TSD.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016